You are not logged in. Please register or login.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Re: Song #2 (Prostitute) is the biggest gun of all IMO

I really am enjoying this track. The lyrics mean so much to me, definitely embodying a deeper concept than the embittered path of unrequited love which has served as a foundation for most of the new material. I appreciate the new thoughts.

This song, which I think is most likely Prostitute, is also a builder. The orchestration kicks in during the second verse and Axl's lyrics explode. 'What Would You Say If I Told You That I'm To Blame? And What Would You Do If I Had To Deny, Your Name?'. A great line, executed wonderfully.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I really am enjoying this track. The lyrics mean so much to me, definitely embodying a deeper concept than the embittered path of unrequited love which has served as a foundation for most of the new material. I appreciate the new thoughts.

This song, which I think is most likely Prostitute, is also a builder. The orchestration kicks in during the second verse and Axl's lyrics explode. 'What Would You Say If I Told You That I'm To Blame? And What Would You Do If I Had To Deny, Your Name?'. A great line, executed wonderfully.

my thoughts exactly KV - parts of this song have that Estranged type, hair standing on the back of your neck moments for me

Good to see you here too btw - this place is really the only place to post now

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

jimmythegent wrote:
killingvector wrote:

my thoughts exactly KV - parts of this song have that Estranged type, hair standing on the back of your neck moments for me

Good to see you here too btw - this place is really the only place to post now

Nothing beats good people and the freedom to speak your mind.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

People seem to be fairly indifferent to this song, which baffles me to be honest.

After having listened to it fairly solidly over the last 2 months or so, I can safely say that it is the best new Guns song I have heard (it succeeds where TWAT fails).

My opinion obviously, but along with Better and CITR (I used to feel the Blues was up there too, but it has lost a little something for me), this is clearly the strongest.
It really builds nicely, is melodic and heavy in parts. Axl delivers one of his stronger performances I feel, and the part where he talks about 'Fortune and shame" gives me goose bumps.

This is what I imagined when I thought of what this band should sound like.

Why the indifference? Is it because BH plays a relatively minor role? I don't get it - to me, easily the strongest track in their canon is staring us in the face and people see decidely non-plussed?

This song sums up the band in my opinion.  Axl's parts,lyrics,melodies are great.

music is subpar.

Seriously, u add a slash like Solo and guitar fills and this song is right up there with NR.

No intro, the song basically is the same thing,same melody over and over.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
machine24 wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

People seem to be fairly indifferent to this song, which baffles me to be honest.

After having listened to it fairly solidly over the last 2 months or so, I can safely say that it is the best new Guns song I have heard (it succeeds where TWAT fails).

My opinion obviously, but along with Better and CITR (I used to feel the Blues was up there too, but it has lost a little something for me), this is clearly the strongest.
It really builds nicely, is melodic and heavy in parts. Axl delivers one of his stronger performances I feel, and the part where he talks about 'Fortune and shame" gives me goose bumps.

This is what I imagined when I thought of what this band should sound like.

Why the indifference? Is it because BH plays a relatively minor role? I don't get it - to me, easily the strongest track in their canon is staring us in the face and people see decidely non-plussed?

This song sums up the band in my opinion.  Axl's parts,lyrics,melodies are great.

music is subpar.

Seriously, u add a slash like Solo and guitar fills and this song is right up there with NR.

No intro, the song basically is the same thing,same melody over and over.

Really, do we have to add Slash--again?

For you new members, let me tell you why Slash bailed. He couldn't pull off this stuff. Why? Not because he doesn't have the ability, but because he doesn't have the balls. If it isn't a blues-based four-chord solo, Slash has nothing to do with it.

In the future, how about we leave Slash out of the discussion. He isn't in this band. There's a place on this board called, "There Was a Time." Get acquainted with it.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

my thoughts exactly. Slash left not because Axl was being a "dictator", but because Axl's new direction wasn't bluesy hard rock that Slash has always done. Slash didn't want to come out of his comfort zone. And if you try to pull some bull**** saying all this is speculation go listen to Contraband and Libertad.

-D-

-D- wrote:
strat0 wrote:

my thoughts exactly. Slash left not because Axl was being a "dictator", but because Axl's new direction wasn't bluesy hard rock that Slash has always done. Slash didn't want to come out of his comfort zone. And if you try to pull some bull**** saying all this is speculation go listen to Contraband and Libertad.

What a bunch of bullshit. HAHA, u guys cant be serious?

Track 2 doesnt have a guitar solo worth a shit. U want to know what NR would sound like without slash, here ya go. U want to know what Estranged would sound like without Slash, here ya go.

Dont sit here and say Slash can only play 4 chord blues rock, cause Slash took NR and Estranged, 2 great songs and made them Epic masterpieces. GNR songs are just as famous for Slash's guitar work as Axl's vocals.

Listen to Track 2's crappy guitar intro and compare that to one of the top 5 Guitar intro's in music history SCOM. since u want to bring up Libertad, "The Last Fight's" intro destroys ever Leak guitar intro and it aint even close.

no comparison. Just look at the guitar tabs for the CD songs for fucks sake. A 16 year old Punk Power Chord kid could play that shit.

Axl is great, but the guitar playing in these songs for the most part blows.

Slash didnt want to be a copy cat Industrial band. This is GNR, they are originals and don't follow trends.

The leaks are Axl pasting together every trend in music history.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's not that it's his "comfort zone" its that it's his specality. If U2 the Edge and the rest of U2 started to write metal songs that required a satan-growl - how would bono fit in? You use bono when you want the lead vocals to be "singing" - you use slash when you want to inject some blues soul into the music.

The reason people call for slash back is that SOME of the leaks are lacking that "something" - it doesn't have to be slash himself - but musically - in terms of the guitar - while theres some fancy playing - in places they're left artistically wanting. The music isn't on par with what axl does in the songs. And that's what people sence.

-D-

-D- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It's not that it's his "comfort zone" its that it's his specality. If U2 the Edge and the rest of U2 started to write metal songs that required a satan-growl - how would bono fit in? You use bono when you want the lead vocals to be "singing" - you use slash when you want to inject some blues soul into the music.

The reason people call for slash back is that SOME of the leaks are lacking that "something" - it doesn't have to be slash himself - but musically - in terms of the guitar - while theres some fancy playing - in places they're left artistically wanting. The music isn't on par with what axl does in the songs. And that's what people sence.

WOW, thats what I was tryin to say. Thanks Monkey chow!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I find it bizarre how every time there's a leak, Slash gets brought up. What makes it funny is half this shit wouldn't be out of place on UYI II. So if people wanting Slash back are gonna complain about these tracks, they should also be complaining about the quality of UYI II in our TWAT section.

Its a fact that some of these songs are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of Slash's comfort zone. Throw him into a studio with Axl, Bucket, Finck(or Huge), Stinson, Pitman, Dizzy, and Brain while they come up with something like Riyadh, Slash would stand there sucking his thumb. If he was asked to record on Shackler, we'd get some lame Yesterdays solo retread. VR fans may love that shit, but not all of us do.

Is there a SCOM solo on these tracks? No. I'm glad there isn't. Haven't listened to AFD in years and don't want to start now. I've heard post GNR Slash. Not impressed. Not trying to belittle him, but some of us don't feel like living in 1987, and the people who don't want to live in 1987 shouldn't be crucified.

Chinese Democracy is "lacking"? HA! Go listen to Libertad. Let me rephrase that....try to listen to Libertad.

Board footer