You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: one thing about AXL vs. SLASH (music)

Sky Dog wrote:

art is subjective and everyone has their own take....believe it or not, but there are people who hate everything Gnr...old and new. And, for the record, Bucket's twat solo is top shelf-for any era Gnr. Period. cool

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

They miss Izzy more than they miss each other. Izzy has the most impressive post-breakup career out of all them, no question.

As for the guitars, yes they are not like old GNR, but if Axl utilized Bucket the way he should have, we'd all be talking about something else. Bucket could have pulled off anything, just listen to his diverse catalog. But Axl went with Robin and now Ron. I'm quite confident if BH had been handed the keys to the GNR machine, everyone but the Slash hangers-on would be pretty happy.

Sky Dog wrote:

definitely agree on Izzy and Bucket..but Axl fucked up the Bucket deal with too many hands in the pot. Bucket should have been Axl's Randy Rhoads. He may still be for all we know.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I hate to disagree. But I have to.

I agree with the VR statement. A very cookie cutter, stock band.

But Axl is ONLY taking risk by changing the sound associated with the name - Guns N' Roses. Musically he's not taking risks at all.

Hell I just listened to an album from like 2000 or 2001 just the other day instrumentally done by Tim Donahue and vocals by Hurricane/Foreigner singer Kelly Hansen.

They sound exactly like Chinese Democracy tracks. At least from what i've heard.

Axl's new music also seems to borrow HEAVY influences from the likes of instrumental artists such as Moby & Mogwai. Especially song #2. And of course there's a couple leaks that sound like classic-GN'R, some that sound like Queen, etc.

Axl is a great artist, and seems to have a great taste in music. But 'inventive'? No. Not from what i've heard so far.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I'm quite confident if BH had been handed the keys to the GNR machine, everyone but the Slash hangers-on would be pretty happy.

I said this in another thread.  I think Axl was holding BH back for whatever reason.  Maybe Axl though all he can do is shred?  I don't know.  I actually think had BH been allowed to take over Slash's role AND done so without killing the old songs, most Slash fans would have been more accepting of him and the new band.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

ultimately, IMO, Axl needs to release CD before any comparisons can be drawn to Slash's post gnr career

I agree, the leaks (basically demo's, if you think they'll sound like that on an album you are mistaken) are far from mind-blowing. They have potential, and with decent tweaking & arrangement could be great The Blues, Better). Right now they really aren't. This could be another 2002/2006 anyway. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I know I'm probably the odd man out here, but I don't think the leaks we've heard are up to snuff lyrically with the UYI sessions, and the badass lyrics aren't as badass as before either. I liked the metaphors Axl and the band would use on... damn near anything on the epic songs on UYI, but it seems as though CD is just a lot of introverted dwelling on a woman that has no resolution or no hope (except Madgascar which really is an amazing song, I can't praise it enough). Listen to the song Estranged alone, to me it has more philosophical and for me, personal impact than things I've heard thus far. Civil War and Breakdown were so amazing lyrically and I could go on and on about probably 3/4 of the songs on each album. I think there's a lot more interesting juxtaposition and metaphors in the old albums and the new ones seem to lack a real direction other than being downers. I find the music on UYI a lot more interesting as well, but like everything else, that's completely subjective.

CD is sort of like a really depressing version of UYI, and that could very well be Axl's goal based on how he feels and I have no problem with that. How I picture CD's album art is UYI's but in black and gray. But one of the very lyrics I loved of Axl's pertains here:"It's a feeling you can have it, it's not mine to take away." I want Axl's music to be personal, important to him, allowing him to vent, because that's what it's all about. I still think CD has potential to be the best album to come out in a long time, I just much prefer the presentation of the old lyrics rather than the new ones. I think they're more poetic, but that's just me.

Sky Dog wrote:

I don't find the lyrics to be as strong as UYI either.

Board footer