You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

NY Giants82 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

As for playing fake noise, that's always bothered me. The Saints used to do that every damn game. Domes are for pussies anyway.

Give me open stadiums, rain, snow, any day. I love games played in snow!

Absolutely. I don't play video games anymore but when I did play football I would sometimes choose to play in the snow.. And take a good running team 16

Amen to that. I remember as a kid watching games in the snow, where you couldnt see the hash marks. It was so much fun. You dont see them much anymore, but when you do, you're in for a treat!

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

Celizic: NFL should scrap playoffs, go with its own BCS
In a season where Pats, Colts class of league, have them play in Super Bowl
OPINION
By Mike Celizic
updated 4:08 p.m. ET, Tues., Nov. 6, 2007

Regular visitors to this space know that I have less use for the BCS than King Tut has for sleeping pills. If you gave me a choice between getting rid of the BCS or world peace with universal health care, unlimited free energy and dues-free memberships at Pine Valley, Augusta National and Pebble Beach with a Porsche Turbo-Carrera GT thrown in, I'd have to ask if I could sleep on it.

But I've finally come to see a most excellent place for the BCS. The NFL.

Have you looked at the standings recently? (If you've just eaten, don't look now unless you want to lose your lunch.) Almost every one of the eight divisions looks like the National League West, with a few opting out for the NL Central paradigm '” no team over .500 need apply.

You've got five teams that seem capable of distinguishing the difference between a gameplan and a grocery list '” the Packers, Cowboys and Giants in the NFC and the Patriots and Colts in the AFC. You've got a couple who are scratching at the door begging to be let in, but that group includes the Lions, and they've got a lot to prove before we'll take them seriously. It also includes the Titans, who would be a serious threat if they weren't playing in the AFC, where nobody's beating Indy and New England.

If the NFL had a weekly poll as college football does, you couldn't even fill out a Top 25. And you'd be done with the Top 10 after listing seven teams.

I'm sure there's been a worse season than this, but it's hard to remember one. We've got a handful of teams that have dared to be competent and a whole lot of teams that can't decide whether to make the effort to pull themselves out of the muck of mediocrity in which they are mired or to just bag it all.

If ever there was a year in which an 8-8 or even a 7-9 team makes the playoffs, this is it. And let's face it, none of them are going to have any more chance of winning than Britney Spears has of not going clubbing.

So let's forget the playoffs this year. Let the best of the bumblers play a series of exhibitions for three weeks, take a week off, and then play the NFL BCS championship game.

We already know who's going to represent the AFC '” the Patriots. The Colts had their chance at home with Dolby Surround Sound and couldn't get it done.

So even if the Pats take a week off and get beaten by someone, they've got the head-to-head edge and they're in the title game.

The NFC's a bit dicier. If we voted today, I think we'd have to go with the Pack, if only because there's nothing better than seeing Brett Favre running out of the tunnel in Phoenix to air it out in one more Super Bowl.

Cowboy fans wouldn't like it, but does anyone else care? But lest they think I'm dumping on them, the Cowboys have their fate in their hands, as do the Packers, because on Nov. 29 '” Thanksgiving Day '” they meet in Dallas. The winner takes over the top slot in the NFC polls, and the loser gets to play the Colts in the Consolation Bowl.

(Quick aside to that game: Unless you have the NFL Network or spend the holiday in a bar, you won't be able to watch that game.)

And event that could change because of the Lions and Giants. The Giants could beat the Cowboys and tie for the division lead, and the Packers could beat the Cowboys but still lose to the Lions. Meanwhile the Giants, who have already lost to the Packers, have to play the Lions, so things could get confusing by the end of the season.

But that's what polls and computers are for '” to sort those sorts of things out. And when you come right down to it, if we were doing this strictly by BCS rules, if all of those teams end the year with two losses, they're not going to the Super Bowl anyway, the Colts are.

That really would be best. Indianapolis played the Patriots close with a depleted lineup, and in a year with very few big match-ups because there are so very few big teams, that's the game we want to see anyway. And think of the ratings.

It's really the only way to go in this year of awful teams. Take a poll, send the winners to Phoenix, and we can start Super Bowl hype the first week of January.

So who do you like for the Heisman? Has to be Tom Brady, no?

Mike Celizic writes regularly for msnbc.com and is a freelance writer based in New York.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21655025/
MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2007 MSNBC.com

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

The last thing I've ever expected was to see the BCS spread. It's a lousy system.

Part of the beauty of the NFL is that anything can happen. The BCS takes that away. I get having the two 'best' teams play, but part of the fun is seeing a team barely make the playoffs and then go all the way.

Any given Sunday doesn't exist with a BCS style finals.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow. Others are now seeing how the current playoff system with 4 divisions with parity is extremely flawed.

However, the BCS is not the answer. That would be the ruination of the league. They either have to make it to where the top 6 teams with the best record make it into the playoffs, Or change the structures of the conferences(either go back to 3 divisions, or maybe even 2). The current system doesn't work anymore.

A league where at least 70% of the teams suck cannot withstand a playoff structure that allows 4 division winners to enter the playoffs regardless of their record. The NFL has to make it where the cream of the yearly crop are guaranteed entry into the playoffs. Disagree? Wait until the Chargers or Chiefs win the West with an 8-8 record and a team like Pittsburgh or Tennesse stays home at 11-5.  Same in the NFC. Seattle will win that division at 8-8 or 7-9 while an up and coming team that is hot like Minnesota doesn't make it even though they go 11-5 or 10-6.

The system doesn't work anymore. The league cannot allow mediocrity to be rewarded.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

The last thing I've ever expected was to see the BCS spread. It's a lousy system.

Part of the beauty of the NFL is that anything can happen. The BCS takes that away. I get having the two 'best' teams play, but part of the fun is seeing a team barely make the playoffs and then go all the way.

Any given Sunday doesn't exist with a BCS style finals.

Right. Also, a BCS would be exciting this year  in the NFL, because alot of people do want to see NE-Colts as the big game. But it wouldn't have worked in years past. Seattle-Pittsburgh 2 years ago, nobody expected them as the #1 playoff teams. I think they were both wildcard teams. 2001 Patriots came out of nowhere that year. And the 2000 Ravens. It would work this year, & maybe once in a while, but most often it would be a frustrating nightmare deciding who should be in. It's bad enough seeing it happen with college, fortunately I don't have a "favorite" college team, I just enjoy watching it.

James, yeah right now NYG AND DET are 6-2 while Seattle is 4-4. If that keeps up I'm pretty sure Seattle could get home field advantage for 1st round against either of them, even if they both finish 11-5?!  And Wash could stay home at 10-6.

James

James wrote:

Latest power rankings:

In any other season, the Colts, Packers, Cowboys and Steelers would be viewed as legitimate No. 1 teams with shots at all-time greatness.

# Indianapolis, 7-1, the defending Super Bowl champ, outscores opponents by nearly a 2-to-1 margin.
# Dallas, 7-1, dominates the NFC while scoring 33.1 PPG, 6th best of the Super Bowl Era.
# Green Bay, 7-1, fields a top-notch defense and a Hall of Fame QB.
# Pittsburgh, 6-2, is just two years removed from a Super Bowl and outscores opponents by more than a 2-to-1 margin, a feat accomplished by just 23 teams in the Super Bowl Era.

All worthy of No. 1 spots atop the NFL in a normal year, but all looking way, way up at the Patriots right now. Two of the three one-loss teams in the NFL, Dallas and Indy, lost at home to the Patriots.

New England, with its ridiculous numbers and perfect record, is seven good games away from breaking many of the NFL's most significant records. The Patriots are are on a bye this week, about the only way to keep them from demolishing another NFL opponent.

Their pursuit of excellence is well-traveled territory, but let's reiterate some of the goals they are chasing (other than a fourth Super Bowl title in seven years).

1. The Patriots need to score 202 points to break the single-season record set by the 1998 Vikings (556). New England scored 355 points in its first nine games.

2. The Patriots need to score 38.1 PPG to break the per-game record set by the 1950 Rams (38.83). New England averaged 39.4 PPG in its first nine games.

3. The Patriots need to score 25 TDs (3.6 per game) to break the single-season record set by the 1984 Dolphins (70). New England scored 46 TDs (5.1 per game) in its first nine games.

4. The Patriots need 3,217 yards of offense (459.6 YPG) to break the record set by the 2000 Rams (7,075). New England averaged 428.7 YPG in its first nine games.

5. The Patriots must beat their final seven opponents by an average of exactly 14.0 PPG to break the modern (post-1950) scoring-differential record set by the 1962 Packers (+19.07 PPG). New England outscored its first nine opponents by 23.1 PPG.

6. The Patriots must win six games to tie for the single-season record of 15 wins set by several teams. If New England wins its final seven, it will set a new regular-season record of 16 wins and join a short list of teams, highlighted in the modern era by the 1972 Dolphins, that won all of their regular-season games.

7. Tom Brady must throw 17 touchdowns (2.4 per game) to break Peyton Manning's record of 49. He threw 33 TDs (3.7 per game) through the first nine games.

8. Randy Moss needs 11 TD receptions to break Jerry Rice's single-season record of 22 (no one else has even caught more than 18). Moss has caught 12 TDs in his first nine games.

Impressive stuff, but with four top teams right behind them, all the records could amount to nothing with one bad game in the postseason.

'¢    1. Patriots (9-0)
'¢    2. Colts (7-1)
'¢    3. Packers (7-1)
'¢    4. Cowboys (7-1)
'¢    5. Steelers (6-2)
'¢    6. Titans (6-2)
'¢    7. Lions (5-2)
'¢    8. Giants (6-2)
'¢    9. Jaguars (5-3)
'¢    10. Bucs (5-3)
'¢    11. Browns (5-3)
'¢    12. Redskins (5-3)

the rest...

13. SEATTLE (4-4, previous rank: 14) - Since WR Deion Branch went down with injury in Week 5, 21-0 loss to Pittsburgh, old reliable Bobby Engram caught 29 passes for 332 yards in three games.

14. SAN DIEGO (4-4, previous rank: 9) - In one game, San Diego went from 5th in the NFL in rushing YPA allowed (3.63) to 30th (4.65). Thanks, Adrian Peterson!

15. NEW ORLEANS (4-4, previous rank: 21) - Reggie Bush doesn't get much credit for toughness, but he's converted 9 of 9 attempts on 3rd and short.

16. MINNESOTA (3-5, previous rank: 26) - Yes, Adrian Peterson is wonderful, but what about the passing game? Oh, that's right: the Vikings have a league-low total of four completed passes in the red zone this year (next worst: San Francisco, nine, league leader, New England, 41)

17. KANSAS CITY (4-4, previous rank: 15) - The Chiefs' defense is a perfect six-for-six stopping fourth-down tries.

18. BUFFALO (4-4, previous rank: 22) - Despite being outgained by 767 yards, out first-downed by 39 and outscored by 26, the Bills are .500. Why? They've committed only nine turnovers in eight games.

19. HOUSTON (4-5, previous rank: 23) - Texans fans to spend bye week marveling at the fact that Sage Rosenfels earned a road win.

20. PHILADELPHIA (3-5, previous rank: 18) - The jail at the Linc must have been a busy place Sunday night.

21. BALTIMORE (4-4, previous rank: 12) - Three of Steve McNair's 179 passes this year have resulted in plays of 20+ yards (that's three more than you, and you probably haven't thrown any passes).

22. CAROLINA (4-4, previous rank: 17) - Steve Smith has a total of 5 catches for 33 yards in Carolina's last two games.

23. ARIZONA (3-5, previous rank: 20) - Cardinals QBs have only been sacked eight times this year, tying them with Peyton Manning and the Colts for second fewest in the league (New Orleans, 5).

24. DENVER (3-5, previous rank: 19) - Broncos have probably played the toughest schedule in the league -- of their first eight opponents, only Oakland had a losing record.

25. CHICAGO (3-5, previous rank: 25) - Bears receivers haven't produced a 100-yard receiving game this season (six in 2006).

26. ATLANTA (2-6 previous rank: 29) - QB Joey Harrington's promising start has gone bye-bye (55.9 rating last four games).

27. OAKLAND (2-6, previous rank: 27) - The feel-good Raiders are no more; the familiar double-digit loss Raiders seem soon to emerge.

28. CINCINNATI (2-6, previous rank: 24) - Opponents have scored 45 times against the Bengals in eight games (27 TDs, 18 FGs).

29. SAN FRANCISCO (2-6, previous rank: 28) - The 49ers have scored 20 points or more only twice in their last 18 games.

30. NEW YORK JETS (1-8, previous rank: 30) - Despite their record, the Jets have suffered only one blowout loss, the 38-14 opener at New England.

31. MIAMI (0-8, previous rank: 31) - Dolphins spent their bye week dwelling on winless status, kind of like gaining an hour for Daylight Savings Time while you're up all night passing kidney stones.

32. ST. LOUIS (0-8, previous rank: 32) - Rams spent bye week stewing over winless record, like saving up your money for a tropical vacation and then getting attacked by sharks.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Tommie wrote:

(Quick aside to that game: Unless you have the NFL Network or spend the holiday in a bar, you won't be able to watch that game.)

That pisses me off.  They changed it so they can move certain games to Sunday night if they'll be better games, they should put Packers/Cowboys on regular tv too.  It'll never happen though, because the NFL isn't going to take a game of that magnitude off thenetwork it owns.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

The Bills squeaked by the Phins, which is scary. Bills are just not the same on the road. First 4 "drives" went 3 and out. Defense is really amazing though, considering all the injuries. JP sucked, but most of it was the coaching staff refusing to let him play the way he likes to play.

Elsewhere...  Giants again show how a tough, older coach who preahces hard-nosed discipline can lead to... well, multiple delay of game calls. Pathetic. Giants seem to have a talent for self-destructing in the big games.

Green Bay looks like the favorite in the NFC. Very impressive win.

Pit-Cle was way too close for Pit. I still like them against the Pats though.

Jacksonville won. Damn.

New Orleans might as well give up. Their season is done. Baltimore too. Lions also in trouble.

James

James wrote:

Strange day in the NFL. The wheat is definitely being separated from the chaff.

I agree, Saints are done. Tampa can be in cruise control and still win that division. Green Bay is THE elite team in the NFC. Only a Favre injury will stop them at this point. He is the MVP of the league in my opinion. The AFC West gets even more cluster fucked with Denver beating KC. That division may literally come down to tiebreakers. Rams get their first win, and if they win the rest of their games, they could actually contend to win that shit division. Pittsburgh barely beats Cleveland, and we could easily see a rematch between the two in the first round of the playoffs. Jacksonville staying in the playoff hunt by beating Tennessee. Washington's playoff hopes continue to drop, although they certainly aren't out of it yet. Baltimore's season is over. They have a lot of decisions to make in the offseason. I'm starting to think their window of opportunity has now closed and may have to go into rebuilding phase.

Detroit is starting to stumble, and they sure picked a bad time of the season to do it. They needed to go on a decent win streak heading towards the end of the season. Not going to happen obviously. They still have a chance for a wild card, but any hopes at winning that division have been flushed. Dallas beats NY, and while NY is most certainly still in the wild card hunt, they will do no damage in the playoffs. That team has to do some things in the offseason as well. Chicago wins, but its too little too late.

I think we may be about to witness the collapse of Indianapolis. That loss to the Pats may have destroyed their morale.

James

James wrote:

Colts lost. Things just got VERY interesting in the AFC.

Lets take a look at the NFL standings and see how teams are doing at this point.

AFC

East
New England Patriots     9-0 
Buffalo Bills     5-4 
New York Jets     1-8 
Miami Dolphins 0-9

Its not even competitive. New England destroyed this division, and no wild card teams will come out of this division. Not much else to say regarding the East.

North
Pittsburgh Steelers 7 -2 
Cleveland Browns 5-4   
Baltimore Ravens 4-5 
Cincinnati Bengals 3-6

Steelers win over the Browns today was huge. They are definitely the favorites to win this division now. Still enough time for Cleveland to win it though. Either way, both teams will go to the playoffs. They are pretty much just fighting on who will get a home game. Ravens and Bengals are toast.

South
Indianapolis Colts 7-2   
Tennessee Titans 6-3   
Jacksonville Jaguars 6-3   
Houston Texans 4-5

This is now the most interesting division to watch. The Colts went from what some thought was a possible undefeated season or 15-1 to a serious possibility of coming in second or third in their division. If they lose their next game and the Jags and Titans keep winning, they are in big trouble. The team in this division that comes in third does not make the playoffs.

West
San Diego Chargers 5-4 
Denver Broncos 4-5   
Kansas City Chiefs 4-5   
Oakland Raiders 2-7

Second worst division in the league. We are past the half way point in the season, and ANY team could win it, including the 2-7 Raiders. The Chargers beating the Colts definitely puts them as the favorites, but each of these teams stumbles from week to week, and there is no clear cut favorite. The division winner will be the only team of the four to make it to the playoffs.

NFC

East
Dallas Cowboys 8-1 
New York Giants 6-3     
Washington Redskins 5-4 
Philadelphia Eagles 4-5

Theoretically any of these teams could still win it, but its obvious that Dallas will win this division. The only question mark on this division is whether it will produce both wild card teams, which is doubtful. Only way that happens is if Detroit and Carolina stumble bad, which is certainly possible.

North    
Green Bay Packers 8-1
Detroit Lions     6-3    
Chicago Bears     4-5    
Minnesota Vikings 3-6

This had the potential to be a bloodbath and an exciting division, but Green Bay's dominance of the conference and the other three teams stumbling prevented that. Detroit is a wild card contender, but the Bears and Vikings are pretty much toast. Thats a good Vikings team. Had they went on a run earlier this year, they'd be dangerous. Thats a team to look out for next year.

South
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 5-4 
Carolina Panthers 4-5
New Orleans Saints 4-5
Atlanta Falcons 3-6

Not as competitive as it looks on paper. Tampa is clearly the best team in this division, and should win it pretty easily. Carolina is in the wild card hunt, although their QB situation will likely prevent them from even coming close to the playoffs. Saints and Falcons are done.

West
Seattle Seahawks 4-4 
Arizona Cardinals 4-5   
San Francisco 49ers 2-6 
St. Louis Rams 1-8

Worst division I have ever seen in my life. Its a shit stain on the league, and if the NFL ever considers another realignment or changing the playoff system, this division is why they did it. If someone put a gun to your head and said you were going to die if you didn't correctly pick the winner of this division, you would have to start making funeral arrangements. These teams are so bad, NONE of them deserve a playoff spot. Whichever team plays the division winner on wild card weekend is guaranteed a spot in the divisional playoff round. If I had to predict, I would say Arizona is gonna win this, but the Rams also have a chance. Yeah, its that bad.

Board footer