You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: HOLD ON: NY Times reporting deal NOT done!

Axlin16 wrote:

I know. Axl is a constant. He's consistantly inconsistant.

But I still think the train has left the station, and like any train moving at high speed, if he jumps off.... he'll kill himself (his career).

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

When CD hits 88 miles per hour, we are gonna see/hear some serious SHIT!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

billboard has reported this too

Neemo wrote:

Best Buy Snags Guns N' Roses Album Exclusive

September 26, 2008 , 3:10 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Best Buy will be the exclusive retailer for Guns N' Roses decade-plus-in-the-making new album "Chinese Democracy" before year's end, sources close to the situation tell Billboard. Some details of the deal are still being worked out, including the release date.

The news brings a semblance of closure to the bizarre history of "Democracy," which Guns N' Roses has been working on since the mid-1990s. Since then, every original member of the once mighty group has left besides vocalist Axl Rose, and millions of dollars have been spent working on the new material.

"Democracy" was most recently on the Interscope release schedule in March 2007. The endless delays encountered by the project reached comic levels this spring, when soft drink manufacturer Dr Pepper offered to send a free can of the beverage to "everyone in America" (excluding ex-GNR members Slash and Buckethead) if "Chinese Democracy" were to arrive anytime during the calendar year 2008.

In June, nine purported "mastered, finished" tracks from the album were leaked online, prompting an FBI investigation into their source. A sign "Chinese Democracy" was perhaps finally nearing release came in July, when the band agreed to debut new track "Shackler's Revenge" in the video game "Rock Band 2," which hit stores earlier this month.

Guns N' Roses is now managed by Irving Azoff's Front Line Management, and Azoff is a well-known proponent of issuing albums exclusively through retailers. He released the Eagles' "Long Road Out of Eden" through Wal-Mart in 2007, much to the chagrin of other merchants, but the album was a runaway hit, having sold 3.1 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art … 1003855688

thanks to funkymonkey @ htgth

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

Of course the deal isn't "done."  Deals aren't "done" until they are official.  It doesn't become official unless it's announced to the public.  So far, that hasn't happened.  Although we can be confident that a deal will get done based on what has unfolded over the past 24 hours, we still don't have official word from either camp that the album will be out this year.

It's well-known that those involved in negotiations don't comment on deals until they're official and settled.  Usually that's done in a form of an announcement.  Until an announcement happens, no one from any camp is going to give the media any indication that it'll happen because if they did, it would compromise the intent of the "plan."  The last thing anyone wants is for the media to catch ahold of the story too soon.  They need to let the band and Best Buy make their announcement together.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Roads? Where we're going we dont need roads...

The deal has to be done or close to it if best buy people heard material..

D-Machine wrote:

When CD hits 88 miles per hour, we are gonna see/hear some serious SHIT!

I never thought my reference would unearth all kinds of BTTF references. 16

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

the dotted line may not be signed but everything else is done. the negotiations, the planning, the current and future strategies, the marketing, etc. axl may still need to sign but that is it and i know it is hard to be in this postion and people are afraid to get burnt but the one that is gonna get burnt the most, if this falls through is axl. axl showed us all he was ready when he hired azoff/gould earlier this year and started releasing his music to games and movies. it's not ultimately what we want but it is a step in the right direction that proves his intentions in getting his creation to the people. the album now has a solid foundation of support behind it - if axl goes bat crazy and tries to hold it back even his lack of approval could be side steeped at this point.

my scepticism in this theory that it is less than 99.9 percent a done deal is because of the confirmed best buy convention or whatever it was. would gnr managment be playing three potential singles from the album to a bunch of best buy executives or whatever they were if a deal was less than certain to take place in the coming quarter???????????????

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Exactly war. The deal is done, imo. Completely done.

It's just because GN'R have no issued an official statement that the media outlets are not confirming it.

Plus, this is ALL over the place right now as far as the normal media outlets for this stuff. GN'R issued a statement about Dr. Fuckin' Pepper (same day). Me thinks the reason GN'R are still silent is that they are still preparing their statement, and my guess is it's gonna be HUGE in the words of one Mr. Donald Trump.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Neemo, the story you are quoting was put out prior to the Times story.  I think the NY Times called to confirm Billboard's story, and was told "it's not done, there is no date, and negotiations are still ongoing".

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

big_smile

how do you really know that something like this isn't done if you are the media? you only know that it hasn't been officially confirmed. i doubt anyone in the know from best buy or universal, sitting behind closed doors staring across the table from gnr managment, is telling the press that it is not done.

all you have is the spectators piecing together the obvious which is that it is done or it will be done soon. so far, for all we know it is.

we're talking about a guy who makes his audiences and band members wait hours and hours for him to show up at his shows. why would it be any different for this? i think we can finally let our guards down.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

That's one thing you can always bet on Axl with... he will ALWAYS wait 'til the last possible nanosecond before pulling the trigger.

Board footer