You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: New GNR vs old GNR/ GNR vs Velvet Revolver thread

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

While I personally think there's nothing wrong with AFD, the UYI era sound is what really locked me in as a fan. I agree that Axl was more responsible for that then anyone else and thats what keeps me excited about CD.

Agreed, and that's when I caught on as a fan. I sit back and listen to songs like Bad Obsession, Bad Apples & Pretty Tied Up, and people don't really talk about those songs all that much, but I just love that whole fuckin' bluesy thing going on with them, ala Move To The City.

But like Queen, and I just wish Axl would've or hopefully releases more albums, you have songs that do harken back to their earlier sounds, but like every album is something new, with the same band members and same name. I LOVE THAT. God bless AC/DC, but I much more prefer bands or are like film directors, that do something entirely different each album, but leave just a little bit of their classic stamp on it.

I know i'm gonna fucking love CD. Why? It sounds awesome, and it's totally different from previous GN'R records. It might not be 'all original', but neither was their previous albums. You could hear all kinds of influences in their previous albums from bands like Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Hanoi Rocks, Aerosmith, etc. Hell Coma sounds like it could be a Metallica song.

CD is no different. It's GN'R doing their thang with scattered influences and original lyrics and direction by Axl (primarily) with some original input from other members or former members of the band.

I have complete faith in Axl, that the next record, even if it's a 'CD II' will be something different also. More power to him.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

And that was ONLY because of Axl. That's been stated in countless interviews over the years by band members, and people close to the band.

Axl was the one pushing for another direction, and the rest of the band wanting to stick with the "tried and true" sound. Their initial reaction to songs like Rain & Estranged was utter disgust.

A band consists some members. They make the music, the sound etc. Some can have "vision" while they can't write a single song. Without Slash being a genius, Axl's November Rain would be the most boring song of music history. Some parts are still close to that. Anyway, Slash wrote Coma, didn't he? That's not AFD rehash. Neither Locomotive nor Civil War. I can list his solo career, too: he played in way more styles than on the GN'R records (not counting the guest appearances). Without Axl GN'R would have sucked. Without Slash GN'R would have sucked. Not that sure about the others.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

they all brought something, thats why they were gnr the greatest band ever and not that tripe that was hollywood rose

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

although slash was certainly an important member of gnr novmber rain was a big production and, whether you like slash's work on it or not, it was primarily solos and the average listener doesn't notice the difference between good and bad solos.

coma is basically one riff with a ton of effects and lyrics. if slash came up with all of those things i would be impressed but i do not think he came up with anything other than the main riff, the equally basic chorus, and the outro solo.  a great song by the way.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

^so he wrote the riff the chorus and the solos....but thats all? 16

so because you think most music listeners are incapable of noticing good guitar work then slash's contributions can be ignored? c'mon now that's ridiculous

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

And that was ONLY because of Axl. That's been stated in countless interviews over the years by band members, and people close to the band.

Axl was the one pushing for another direction, and the rest of the band wanting to stick with the "tried and true" sound. Their initial reaction to songs like Rain & Estranged was utter disgust.

A band consists some members. They make the music, the sound etc. Some can have "vision" while they can't write a single song. Without Slash being a genius, Axl's November Rain would be the most boring song of music history. Some parts are still close to that. Anyway, Slash wrote Coma, didn't he? That's not AFD rehash. Neither Locomotive nor Civil War. I can list his solo career, too: he played in way more styles than on the GN'R records (not counting the guest appearances). Without Axl GN'R would have sucked. Without Slash GN'R would have sucked. Not that sure about the others.

Coma was a big rocker, almost metal. And even though Civil War & Locomotive were big structured songs... so was Paradise City.

It was the same idea, just applied to new songs.

Axl was the one going and doing stuff totally different under the name GN'R, like now. If I had heard AFD, and NOTHING ELSE, and then someone played me November Rain and said that's a GN'R song, i'd been like "WTFH?" It would've been a shock to the system.

In alot of ways GN'R Lies braced fans for the change in some ways. I'm not saying Slash didn't do AMAZING guitar work on the Illusions, but history has shown that he was dragged kicking and screaming to that recording session. Duff also wasn't totally on board with that direction.

Now that we hear some of these CD tracks, we realize were that sole direction came from - Axl. We also understand why the old band couldn't co-exist with each other past 1993... musically they couldn't have been further apart.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

NEEMO -

that's not what i said - read what i am responding to:

november rain boring without slash?

since all he does is solo in that song i disagree. solos don't make songs like NR great. they may compliment them but that's it.

as far as coma, go play all of slash's parts and see how long of a song you have, compared to how long the song actually is. there is a big difference bewteen writing a couple small riffs and writing a song. if slash got the writing credit for coma it was only because he came up with his parts before anyone else did but he is not responsible for pulling everything together and making it into and actual song.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

"Coma is Slash's baby" - W. Axl Rose 1990

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

I didn't even know Slash was on the Best Buy exec. team...

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Backslash wrote:

I didn't even know Slash was on the Best Buy exec. team...

Gotta do something for a paycheck after Libertad bombed.

Board footer