You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Pitmans official website opened

Neemo wrote:

and something official...which we get very little of 4

Sky Dog wrote:

Buzz, how the hell is he the worst thing to happen to Gnr? My god, he actually seems like an interesting, artistic guy....not your stereotypical cock rocking Sunset Strip pooffy haired clown. He hangs with the guys from Tool, does his own thing, plays a little in Axl's Orchestra....seems like a very cool guy to me.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Very intriguing. Chris is the main guy i've wanted to hear talk for years, because he's so quiet. I cheered for him when he was announced at concerts to be nice, but never quite understood why. Slinky keyboards included, lol.

I've always thought this guy was going to have HUGE hand in the structuring of the album, along with Bucket & Tommy, of course excluding Axl.

But the most interesting thing he states is how much of a hand Paul & Dizzy were having in writing material at that time. I wonder how much of their stuff, if any will directly correlate to CD. I just never thought those two, especially Paul, would have any hand in anything other than session recording during the long CD recording process.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not saying it isn't interesting (even though he's the worst thing to happen to GnR since Paul Huge).  I just can't believe there isn't something more exciting to discuss than this on the verge of CD's release.

Wrong.  The worst thing to happen to GNR is Dick.  Well the most unsignificant anyways.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Chris is one of the best things that happened to GNR.

If you listen to those 2002 soundboards of The Blues you can hear the Lusk influence. Better is a prime example of having Pittman's fingerprints all over it.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

If you listen to those 2002 soundboards of The Blues you can hear the Lusk influence. Better is a prime example of having Pittman's fingerprints all over it.

His fingerprint is the thing that keeps the song from being better.  Clutter, clutter, and more clutter.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
sic. wrote:

Close, but...

Axl composes a lot on the piano, and as Chris put it, also strummed guitar at that point.

Dizzy was the main keyboardist.

Stuart White is an FX guy, and likely worked on OMG and Live Era as a temporary recruit.

Howerdel started as the guitar tech but soon became Axl's personal assistant / computer tech.

Pitman would've therefore inherited Howerdel's place as the band's programmer.

you could be right about the Howerdel/Tool connection...in fact you probably are

we know axl was dinking around on guitar...we even saw it on Dead Horse and, later on, during the RIR3 madagascar rendition

White is a bit of a weird spot for me, i'd like to learn a bit more of his involvement

anyway its still curious to see so many guys who are piano/keyboard influenced playing a big role in the writing process, i wonder if axl just has/had an afinity to that sort of person....we know that the orig/uyi lineups werent to keen on it

anyway i think its pretty much a no brainer that we are gonna have 2 keyboard people in gnr forever as they need them for playing NR in a live setting..as well as for the new material.

Axlin08 wrote:

I just never thought those two, especially Paul, would have any hand in anything other than session recording during the long CD recording process.

for real? Paul became Axl's Izzy...his tie to Indiana...and as Axl said in Rio in 01...."without Paul there would be no more guns n roses" Paul has been a colaborator with Axl since back off bitch which is circa late 80's..that statement was the least surprising for me....i'm a bit shocked that pitman appears to have such a large role in writing and Stinson,Finck and Freese aren't even mentioned hmm he is of course talking abotu pre BH/Brain so i understand where they were left out of the discussion

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

His fingerprint is the thing that keeps the song from being better.  Clutter, clutter, and more clutter.

the multiple layers have existed long before Pitman was on the scene

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

madagas wrote:

Buzz, how the hell is he the worst thing to happen to Gnr? My god, he actually seems like an interesting, artistic guy....not your stereotypical cock rocking Sunset Strip pooffy haired clown. He hangs with the guys from Tool, does his own thing, plays a little in Axl's Orchestra....seems like a very cool guy to me.

OH PALEASE does he wear a top hat? no? then hes the worst thing that ever happened to GNR, the same with Paul huge, solely because slash said he didn't like him in his autobiography, Paul huge is terrible terrible human being, a rapist and murderer, same with Pittman, no slash, NO GO MANG!

i was just channeling buzzsaw, sorry about that.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

for real? Paul became Axl's Izzy...his tie to Indiana...and as Axl said in Rio in 01...."without Paul there would be no more guns n roses" Paul has been a colaborator with Axl since back off bitch which is circa late 80's..that statement was the least surprising for me....i'm a bit shocked that pitman appears to have such a large role in writing and Stinson,Finck and Freese aren't even mentioned  he is of course talking abotu pre BH/Brain so i understand where they were left out of the discussion

I actually never took that statement seriously, and thought it was Axl just being nice, since Slash & Matt had really just dogged the living hell out of Paul in the press over the years, mainly painting him as a session guitarist.

I guess Axl meant it literally. That's where the surprise came for me.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

It's actually pretty easy.  He adds NOTHING to the majority of the songs - in most cases, he subtracts from the songs.  He should not be a member of the band.  If they want to use him as an additional musician on a couple songs, I have no problem with that, but GnR never has and never will have a need for a full time effects guy.  All he does is bring clutter to the table no matter how interesting he might be as a person.

Hanging with Tool isn't a plus in my book, but to each their own.

Board footer