You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Re: The Great GNR Message Forum Sell out

Acquiesce wrote:

I think ultimately the blame is on GNR. It is absolutely absurd that they try to control what is discussed on what are supposed to be independent fan forums. There has been a lot of discussion and criticism over the Chinese Democracy debacle over the years, but for me this is the most outrageous part of it and yet few really seem to care.

I hate that boards decide to sell out to the band, but at the same time it's totally human because it could get them closer to their idols. The band deserves more scorn than anyone, IMO.

Although I think Jarmo deserves criticism for the way he treats people. I don't mean to drag his name through the mud, but I left his board in disgust over the way he treats anyone who dares to criticize the band. It's one thing to censor certain things, but to attack people who aren't blindly loyal sheep is just despicable especially since it wasn't always that way at his site. I posted there for years and was one of Axl's biggest critics on that site. Despite my criticism, I never felt unwelcome there. I debated with Jarmo plenty of times myself. It was always respectful and intelligent, but obviously that all changed in 06 around the time Beta the attack dog was on guard. He started to act more like a Beta clone by attacking anyone who dare criticized the band. When I saw him basically call Dave a troll that was it for me. Dave has always been one of Axl's biggest supporters and  no one that knows that better than Jarmo, but he quickly turned on Dave because Dave  dared to question the band's version of why a gig was cancelled. I remember briefly reading over there after MSL's first leak when he told his whole story about it. At least one of Jarmo's mods was mocking MSL because of his weight and I thought it was appalling.

I agree with James that it was the best site and it's sad to see what it has become.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Beta is a pathetic excuse for a good message board poster. Which is insane in a way, because everyone i've ever talked to, say how friendly she is in person, yet she has got to be one of the worst message board posters to ever exist, who contributes nothing - ever.

The only time I ever see her post, now or in the past, at HTGTH is to ATTACK a poster. Usually someone with alot more seniority.

And guess who backs her up...

Any other board, and her ass would be banned in ten seconds flat for treating posters the way she does. If she posted anymore than she does, she'd be a troll.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Just to be fair - these scratchy leaks - out before really any review or serious press or promotion has set... no one wants the next blogosphere entry related to GNR as 'MORE GNR LEAKS' and have them be about these crappy things, or to have the next Yahoo! GNR article be about songs leaking--- before anything's started like normal bands do. That's not really going to help the band or help the things we'd like to happen, happen - it's just going to be a lame distraction and muddle what's going on with the single, the marketing campaign, and the official reviews.

I guess I'd rather have those leaks tightly discussed in the back room like this - where people talk about the music and things - than on MYGNR or CD, where people may be swooping in to get some kind of lame scoop.

These are some slow news days right now and leaks that are well-spread and talked about would BECOME the news as far as Chinese is concerned. We've already read plenty of reviews that talked about the leaking and the circus more than the music itself.

That's just how I feel about it all, anyway.
Nothinz perfect.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

all i am seeing in this thread is butthurt tears...start your own message board dicks, then you can make all the rules yippeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

although i must say, this message board is cool, nowhere besides mygnr can you have this level of discussion, but then you have madison who is fat and smells of sweat and cigarettes.

This is the only message board where its ok to have an opinion and for that the guys should be applauded. They have kept the site awesome in the face of adversity and thats why we are here. I've not been to MyGnr for years, CD.com I rarely visit because its incredibly onesided, and HTGTH just makes me want to smash everything with rage. I shaking just typing the name.... Aaargh.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

but then you have madison who is fat and smells of sweat and cigarettes.

another nice thing about this board is that it treats everyone with respect ...even though it may appear like they don't deserve it sometimes...

so take it easy on them insults...madison is not everyone's favorite...and neither is jarmo...but don't talk like that about them in an open space like this...

daviebuckethead
 Rep: 1 

I have to say i haven't been a member here all that long, but i think this forum is real cool, pretty much everything is discussed, good, bad and ugly.

HTGTH, as you have all said, WAS the premier GnR site but it just got beyond tiresone having posts deleted for trivial things. And as you have said, people over there have been called trolls etc which i bad

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

I think ultimately the blame is on GNR. It is absolutely absurd that they try to control what is discussed on what are supposed to be independent fan forums. There has been a lot of discussion and criticism over the Chinese Democracy debacle over the years, but for me this is the most outrageous part of it and yet few really seem to care.

I hate that boards decide to sell out to the band, but at the same time it's totally human because it could get them closer to their idols. The band deserves more scorn than anyone, IMO.

Although I think Jarmo deserves criticism for the way he treats people. I don't mean to drag his name through the mud, but I left his board in disgust over the way he treats anyone who dares to criticize the band. It's one thing to censor certain things, but to attack people who aren't blindly loyal sheep is just despicable especially since it wasn't always that way at his site. I posted there for years and was one of Axl's biggest critics on that site. Despite my criticism, I never felt unwelcome there. I debated with Jarmo plenty of times myself. It was always respectful and intelligent, but obviously that all changed in 06 around the time Beta the attack dog was on guard. He started to act more like a Beta clone by attacking anyone who dare criticized the band. When I saw him basically call Dave a troll that was it for me. Dave has always been one of Axl's biggest supporters and  no one that knows that better than Jarmo, but he quickly turned on Dave because Dave  dared to question the band's version of why a gig was cancelled. I remember briefly reading over there after MSL's first leak when he told his whole story about it. At least one of Jarmo's mods was mocking MSL because of his weight and I thought it was appalling.

I agree with James that it was the best site and it's sad to see what it has become.

great post - agree 100%

Although the world still turns and the sky is yet to have fallen on our heads, it's a major disappointment to me the way HTGTH went. All rationality went down the toilet very quickly. It used to be a great place to discuss every facet of GNR; old, new, cynical, hopeful ...whatever. But things changed almost overnight and a nasty, gestapo-like feel quickly consumed it which still prevails.

The irony of all ironies to me is that Guns (to me at least) used to represent freedom, anarchy - free speech that kind of thing. Pathetic that forums missed this grand truth. Oh well.

We have this place. And I couldn't agree more that James has been pivotal in keeping the spirit of the old GNR forums alive - and I thank him for that in this very exciting time for GNR fans 5

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't think the forum admins are the ones to blame. Muppets are muppets, it's about who's behind the curtain.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I can't really speak as to the other forums, but the direction things took actually reflect the actions of their el presidente, Axl Rose himself.

Board footer