You are not logged in. Please register or login.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Re: My guitar complaint *spoilers included*

I think the solos throughout the entire album are great but that's just me.  It's not really a purely guitar driven album but songs like Better and Riad have some rocking, catchy riffs that get stuck in your head like the old lineup so many people are hell bent on comparing every minute detail to

I'm sorry to all the diehard Slash fans but I find Buckethead's work a lot more interesting than Slash's at this point in time.  If Slash had stayed on GnR had put out shit that was the same musically as Snakepit or Libertad I would've lost interest in Guns a long time ago

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Why do do some people act like Buckethead being on the album makes it so much better than anything Slash could have done on these albums? Personally having heard the whole record now, most of the solos really are just average (although I like Scraped and some other songs solos)...

In my honest opinion the problem is that Axl made everyone fit into his idea of the GNR sound instead of adapting to their styles. Like James has said before, none of these songs are musically mindblowing in their complexity or something.. Slash/Brian May/any bluesy "feel" guitarist could have easily made most of these solos fit the songs much better...

Buckethead on this album just added alot of textures IMO.. Shotgunblues, what exactly is he adding to the songs that makes them that much more "interesting"?Compare this material to Buckets solo stuff (which is interesting) and you see Bucket never got the chance to really shine in GNR

IMO of course

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

While I do like the guitar work in most of the songs, D does raise some valid points. There's nothing that will really grab casual listeners by the balls. Even if there was, its buried under a mountain of other sounds. The version of If the World on the album a perfect example. Bucket is amazing on this track, yet there are so many different sounds being forced into this track, you expect Chubby Checker to start doing 'The Twist' at some point.

While I don't care what the casual listener thinks, those are the people who will make or break this band. Not us. They already sold us on this material years ago.

I do agree with the sentiment about This I Love practically begging for Slash. Its the only track that screams for him to jump in. The track runs in place when it needs one of those NR/Estranged type solos to take it places it otherwise couldn't go. An Electric Tears type solo would have worked wonders on this track as well, but for some reason Bucket isn't even on it.

I casn't really comment on This I Love too much, because i haven't listened to it really because i would much rather hear a cleaned up version. 

It's anyone's guess as to why Buckethead isn't on that song.  From the sounds of everyone's complaining, it seems like he could have done wonders with that song.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

Am i really reading this thread right? 

Why is there so much Fortus love still? 

We discussed this today actually.  It's called confirmation bias.  People naturally only look for sources that confirm what they want to be true and reject the sources that reject what they want to be true.

In this case though, the opposing source is the liner notes, and those are a little harder to dispute.

-Jack-

-Jack- wrote:

Fortus is a great player, it's called hearing him play solos live the way they were supposed to be played after Finck botches them. Him not being in the linear notes much just means he wasn't featured much on the album.. doesn't mean he doesn't have great feel and tone when he does play..

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i think you two have come up with the truth right there
fortus brings nothing to the table in the form of creativity and originality

but......

he is probbly the only one that can effectively play any part from the gnr catalogue from slash to buckethead's parts.

with all of players on the different songs you need a guy like fortus around for tours, making him a great asset.

he is a touring guitarist

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Bwhahahahahaha....

Saikin... bro.

Breakin' out the Psych 101 on the Fortus nutswingers.

Karma for you! 22

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Bwhahahahahaha....

Saikin... bro.

Breakin' out the Psych 101 on the Fortus nutswingers.

Karma for you! 22

And i have never taken a Psych class in my life, this came straight from Philosophy.  Go Critical Thinking! 16

As for War's post, i have yet to hear him play anything of Bh's and do it justice. 

I'll admit, he is good at rehashing Slash's parts, without any creativity or originality whatsoever.  Kudos to him for that.  5

-Jack-

-Jack- wrote:

Why discredit the argument through name calling? Fortus is a great guitar player on the album or not on the album. In reality most of Fortus's "nut swingers" were just saying the same thing (minus nesquick who was crazy.) No one thinks Bucket is a bad player, and no one thinks Finck doesn't have his own "unique style' tongue (no Finck is awesome too.) You guys seem to get offended when anyone offers Fortus praise for sounding good when we do hear him and at concerts. The guy sounds great live and as a late edition to an album where most of the songs were finished in 2000 (Fortus joined in 2002) of course he's not going to be featured much. Bumble gets parts because he was put there to replace Buckethead on many of the songs. Clearly Axl already liked alot of Tobias's guitar spots and kept those, so it's no wonder he wasn't featured much on the album. Says nothing about his ability as a guitar player... Brian May wasn't featured on Catcher and we all know how his solo was... Axl in the end made his choices the way he wanted to make them.

There's plenty of reasons to think Fortus is a great player and that's all I'm trying to say.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I never said anything about Slash should be back in the band.

I simply stated, that they try so hard to fill Slash's shoes, that they try to 'Show Off" instead of serving the song.

Okay Bumble and Bucket, u can play 55 notes in 4 seconds. COOL, I get it and its great but sometimes all I want is a nice simple, heart breaking, haunting guitar melody to accompany Axl's vocals.

Compare This I love solos to NR's Solos

U can't argue that shit.

So u guys missed the boat on my argument about filling Slash's shoes. I am saying they try so hard to show their skill, they don't always do what's best for the song.

A great example is Poison's "Something To Believe In"  Nice heartfelt beautiful song and then CC Deville comes in and breaks out a solo that just has nothing to do with the flow or emotion of the song and its just a jackoff look how technical and great and fast I can move my fingers.

Gene Simmons said it best. I'll take a simple A chord that breaks your ribs over a million little notes that sounds like a bunch of angry bees.

A lot of CD sounds like it could be a Meat Loaf album with Axl on vocals.

Once again, that isn't a bad thing, it isn't a diss. But the guitar parts really really lack for the most part.

the best riff on the album is what???? I havent heard Sraped or Sorry yet

but there are no Jungles, SCOM's, PC's or Brownstones or Rocket Queen riffs on here

The dude a couple pages back hit it on the head, Finck is like fucking without an orgasm. he just doesn't do it for me.

It has nothing to do with my love of Slash, all I can do is post, be honest and tell u how I feel emotionally about this stuff and it just doesn't full deliver.

listen to "Wet Sand" by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Frusciante's solo is what I love in bands. it just takes a great song and smashes it through the ceiling.

Board footer