You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The 10 Greatest RBs of all time elimination- Round 1

James wrote:

Interesting group of ten that made it. Good to see Thurman Thomas getting the respect he always deserved. Bo Jackson making it was a bit of a surprise. Will be interesting to see how well he stacks up against these incredible RBs.

There were quite a few RBs tied for that last spot, and I didn't want to do a tie breaker nomination poll(I'm sure you guys didn't either). The way I decided to break the tie was whoever out of those tied had the most SB rings made it. That's how Roger Craig made it. Had I went by actual yards rushing, Curtis Martin would have made it. Tough call either way.

Tough choice right from the start. I am gonna have to go with Marshall Faulk. Sure he's great, but so is everyone on this list. I always considered him like a second rate Thurman Thomas. I didn't really follow Faulk's career, but I would not be surprised if Thurman was the person he tried to emulate. Pretty similar styles. Also, you have to weigh the impact each of these guys had on their team while they played, and their impact on the league as a whole. Faulk developed into a great player later on, and out of these guys, I think the team could have continued without him. That great Rams team probably would have won that SB without him.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Bo Jackson. Due to injury, his career was just way too short to compare with these guys.

James

James wrote:

Yeah, but Bo was a running machine during his career. There will always be a huge 'What if?" asterisk next to his name. Sad thing is that he was on a mediocre team at the time. Put him with the Broncos during that time, and Elway gets at least one ring in the 80's.

He would have been great with the Skins as well. Maybe even Seattle during that small window of opportunity they had in the mid 80's.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

geez i only know 4 of those guys so i'll sit this one out

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I'll go with Terrell Davis. Great RB, but just didnt do it long enough. I guess the same could be said for Bo Jackson though. But also factor in the success other RBs have had behind the offensive line since he retired.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I'm going with Bo Jackson. I didn't get to watch most of these guys in their prime, so I have to go with stats, teams they played for, and highlight reels. Bo is the bottom for me. But there are a lot of great RBs up there. This will be harder than the QB one was.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I picked T. Davis...interestlingly enough...I picked him for the same reason that some people don't pick Axl as a top 10 rocker. The longevity, of course. Did I just contradict myself? ooops?

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

T. Davis, just not enough there to put him at "that" level.  Good idea for an elimination Lofton, kudos

James

James wrote:

Its about time someone broke the tie. Unfortunately, you didn't pick Faulk. I put Davis at that level because of what he did for that franchise. You take him away from Denver, and Elway retires with no rings, and they don't even come close to a SB. Yeah, he didn't play long, but he was amazing for the short time he did play.

I'll start the next round.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

I went with Davis. He didn't play long enough in my opinion, nor at a high enough level for a long enough time. He had a few great years though.

As for Faulk, I followed him when he was on the Colts and even back then he was a badass. I'd compare him more to Reggie Bush or Barry Sanders than Thurman Thomas, James. Faulk had some insane moves in his prime, plus he was a good receiver like Bush. Most of the people on this list, aside from Faulk and Sanders, are pretty straightforward runners. I personally think Sanders is the best ever with Jim Brown a very close second.

Board footer