You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: A.X.L.

sic. wrote:
BurningHills wrote:

1976 - 1979?

Impossible.

Axl was still in Lafayette at that time. He didn't get to Hollywood until '81-'82.

As far as I know, A.X.L. was a Lafayette band, before Izzy and Axl moved to California.

BurningHills wrote:

Rose/Hollywood Rose was responsible for all of those songs.

Paul Tobias and Axl wrote Shadow of Your Love and Back Off Bitch. They were pre-Hollywood Rose songs, quite possibly A.X.L. songs.

Here, Izzy talks about his times in Lafayette pre-1980 and his move to LA. While he never mentions the band, it's pretty obvious that he's referring to A.X.L.; particularly because he was still a drummer back then.

Stradlin recalls: "My dad built a bar in our basement. He sold insurance, and on the weekends all his work buddies would come over to get drunk and party. There would always be a band, and while I was working the keg, they'd use my drum kit. The guy who played drums would teach me stuff. I had a guitar, too, at one point, and I dicked around with it, but I always went back to drums."

In high school, Stradlin and some friends began playing in his garage. Axl Rose was the singer. "I met Axl in drivers' ed," Stradlin relates. "We were long-haired guys in high school. You were either a jock or a stoner. We weren't jocks, so we ended up hanging out together. We'd play covers in the garage. There were no clubs to play at, so we never made it out of the garage. Axl was really shy about singing back then. But I always knew he was a singer." - Izzy, '98

There you have the original Indiana posse. Lank and Tobias would move on to Mank Rage with the occasional run-in with Hollywood Rose/GNR, Mike Hammernik would later be featured in Rapidfire. When Axl called Paul Tobias "the original guitar player" at HOB 01/01/01, he sure as hell wasn't kidding.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

theres no way he is worth that much, surely?

AtariLegend wrote:

Just be very non-cynical for a moment add half the "Appetite For Destruction" demos with "Chinese Democracy" and a little "Use Your Illusion"...

And you get Paul Huge having more of a creative influence than Slash 16.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh snap! You've done it now.

The Slashites are on the way.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Just be very non-cynical for a moment add half the "Appetite For Destruction" demos with "Chinese Democracy" and a little "Use Your Illusion"...

And you get Paul Huge having more of a creative influence than Slash 16.

Damn lol. That deserves some karma 16

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

what does a.x.l. stand for anyway? big_smile

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

As far as I know it's an anal drug. I'm not kidding, read it somewhere years ago.

Edit:
wikipedia says another thing:

AXL receptor tyrosine kinase

The protein encoded by this gene is a member of the receptor tyrosine kinase subfamily. Although it is similar to other receptor tyrosine kinases, the Axl protein represents a unique structure of the extracellular region that juxtaposes IgL and FNIII repeats. It transduce signals from the extracellular matrix into the cytoplasm by binding growth factors like vitamin K-dependent protein growth-arrest-specific gene 6. It is involved in the stimulation of cell proliferation. This receptor can also mediate cell aggregation by homophilic binding. Axl is a chronic myelogenous leukemia-associated oncogene and also associated with colon cancer and melanoma. It is in close vicinity to the bcl3 oncogene which is at 19q13.1-q13.2. The Axl gene is evolutionarily conserved between vertebrate species. This gene has two different alternatively spliced transcript variants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AXL_recept … ine_kinase

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

the Axl gene lol
now theres an excuse to be a grudge holding asshole

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Just to add the logic from a current thread in the GNR section, Slash is NOT better than Paul Huge because Huge was the original guitarist on those songs.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

OOOOHHHH.... you're gonna get trouble for that Bri!

Board footer