You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: When will it leak? *It Leaked*

James wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Maybe some people just have a different opinion?

It has nothing to do with opinion of the music. We're talking about the production/mixing aspects of this. There's no way in hell the human ear cant hear those flaws.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
JordanRose wrote:

I was really sceptical about Lofton's statements that the editing/pasting was so bad that new solos had been dropped in, starting and ending in different placfes to the original and therefore fucking up the flow/timing of the song but he's absolutely right.

Christ. It's so glaring that I can't believe it hasn't been picked up in any reviews.

Its a massive problem and really bogs down the listening experience. When I listen to this in pristine CD quality and write my review, its not gonna be kind. Some will label me a 'hater' but I don't give a shit. There's no excuse for how the quality turned out.

The final Better is cringe inducing and pretty much reached the point of noise pollution.

Once reviewers are able to hear it somewhere other than Uni headquarters, they'll start to mention the shit production. I'm shocked more forum fans aren't mentioning it. On another GNR forum, I saw someone post 'its the greatest production in history and is perfectly 'crisp'. I almost fell out of my chair.

Sadly, not only has the CD itself suffered these problems. The actual album presentation, it's release promo, the whole fuckin' thing smacks of "pinching it off".

There's gotta be something else. Seriously. No way Azoff would sign up for this half-ass, under the radar shit.

It comes across as they've got to MOVE an OBSTICLE out of the way, before GN'R can progress to the future. They fact the band are loosing guitarist, at the time of release, just further fuels that speculation.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

It's obvious the production is shit and was gonna be shit. I'm not one to say I told you so but I've been saying that for a few years now. I could hear it in the demos and there was nothing in them to suggest the album versions would be any different. I'm surprised people are so shocked  by this. the writing was on the wall LONG ago when it comes to the production.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The "demos" didn't suffer as greatly. They were cut and paste, but they had a more natural flow and were clearly produced from a long ago era. All this new stuff reeks of an amateur that cant add new layers into preexisting ones. It sticks out and fucks up the volume.

Its like axl sings a line, insert  unnecessary guitar, sing again, drown out bass for 5 seconds of orchestra, sing again, add some new drums to an insanely high level, sing again. It doesn't flow. Its mechanical.

Before someone says, "you're a Bucket nutswinger who dislikes anything Ron", I don't care if its Ron or Nat King Cole's corpse being added. Mix the shit properly.

What makes this production job so bizarre is each song was treated differently. Sorry is pretty damn close to absolute perfection. Not a huge fan of This I Love, but it gets a 'royal treatment' as well.

I like the songs(most of them), but not the presentation.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Smoking Guns has gone from very excited and intiqued to very bummed.  This album is full of what I feared, mid tempo sob songs that are beyond bloated and over produced.  Flame all you want, but this thing is a turd outside of "Sorry".  "This I Love" could have been classic, but I swear to God I have heard this song somewhere else and I just want to slap Axl and say "grab ahold of yourself you pussy".... That opening voice is so wimpy and pathetic eventhough its a decent singing voice, on verge of EMO puss shit.  All the "ooohhs, and awws" and other bullshit filler sounds just annoy me now.  "Chinese Democracy" was another highlight.. Mixed nicely and fucking rocks hard.  "Shacklers" and "Scraped" fucking suck.  I mean SUCK!  RNTB has so much potential, MIX FUCKING TERRIBLE.  Lofton is correct, demo better.  The Blues, this is a solid ballad, not great, not bad... Like Axl's version of "Fall to Pieces."  The "finishing touches" on the Blues made it worse...  "Catcher in the Rye" on at times is beyond killer, but then it just loses me somewhere... Axl's vocals on this song annoy me, his oohhs and awws I think.  "Better" does rock as well.  Its a solid rock song.  "IRS" on final mix isn't appealing to me anymore.  To Recap, "Sorry", "Chinese Democracy", and "Better" are all good to very good songs, the rest will be forgotten quickly by the masses, that is assuming the masses ever hear "Sorry".

Bucket is a fucking stud.  He worked his ass off and nailed most situations. 

The rest of the guitars, forgetable (Finck had a couple nice solos, but his bad ones kill everything great his good ones did).

Lack of riffs, lack of balls, lack of melodic lead guitar lines.
too over produced
poor mixing
too layerd

GNR is no longer a rock n roll band or even a hard rock band.  Its like Cyber Rock now, or Art Rock... Just a Modern Day Bloated Version of Pink Floyd.  This all hit me on the way home as I forcefed myself the new songs.  I might as well slit my wrists after this depressing story I just heard.

In 6 months the reunion rumors will be beyond out of control.  As the album flops Axl will hide for next 10 years.  It will Flop.

PS, Axl sang his fucking ass off and props to him for that!  9

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Just re-read what I typed, I may be too harsh in some spots, maybe after a few weeks I change my mind, as of now there are things I love, but more that I am indifferent to downright dislike.. It could change.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

..... and what's worse is the leaks we got sounded fine.(the last set)
the finished album sounds like a rush job to change the sound of a bunch of songs so they could turn around and say: "Hey.. we TOLD you that the leaks you heard weren't the final product"... when CLEARLY shit was piled onto finished tracks with complete disregard for how said shit blended with the rest of the song. ... Prime examples:
1. Catcher.
the biggest abomination of them all. they suffocated a true masterwork of a track with random, unnecessary guitar noodling... All of the subtle, haunting vocal isms in the background of the song, as well as the piano part, which in my opinion is the backbone of the track were buried beneath a bunch of different guitar parts that seemingly have no relation whatsoever to each other or any relevance to the song they are attempting to "accentuate" ...
2. Riad..
Count me as one of the few people that liked this song since the first time i heard a live version of it on a mock up of the record that someone gave me a few years ago. i still think it's a great song.. the intro is cool, but for christ's fucking sake... what on earth would possess someone to hear the original, perfect solo and say to themselves "no.. we don't like that... bumble, can you have a monkey hold the fretboard and slap the pickup with your fucking cock for thirty seconds?"....
3. Better...
god... i love this song, but the slide during the "bubbles"...are you kidding?
it is clear that this was added, like, 3 days ago... they taped the song off of the radio and then played it back in a basement and hit "record"... it's way louder than any other part of the song..  i apparently did not receive the memo that there was anything that needed to be added to the antiquiet leak of the song.
3. Prostitute...
again.. what the fuck was wrong with the leak?
crank the volume up a little.. period. rerecord the fucking drums? weird glug noises that sound like AIM fucking noises to me.. maybe they were put in there as a nod to the leaks they planted.. i don't know.

i could go on....

In my opinion.. some of it worked. but very little.
As far as i'm concerned, ron thal's  presence on this album was completely unnecessary.... 'cept for CD..  but i'm pretty sure even that could have been an accident.  was there any shame in releasing the record without him? i'm sure if they had given him some more time to do some work on the next record  he would have come up with some brilliant shit.. but he was clearly under the gun. i really think the real crime in the production is the hasty addition of bumble and frank to the album.
you can listen to every single song and their parts stick out like sore thumbs.

this is proof that this record would have come out in 06 if axl hadn't got it in his head that both new additions to the band HAD to play on the already completed record....
my heads going in soo many directions... i don't want anyone to think i don't like the record.. i do. but this here is kinda wondering aloud why...
why?
if it ain't broke.....

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

There is nothing on this damn thing that required this amount of time...  Appetite was made in one fucking year an its perfect using 1987 technology with no protools and real instruments and maybe just a touch of synth by Axl on Paradise City.  Axl Perfected this into major Imperfection.... How Ironic.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

.. And.
in response to smoking guns:
yes, axl sang his balls off.....
8 fucking years ago.. when the vocals were recorded and... more importantly...when the record was DONE and should have been released...

NickNasty2009
 Rep: 2 

ya know, every subsequent listen its gets better. its bloated, but i think that's part of the point--to make it unnecessarily epic just for the sake of it--like a Queen record. I'm pleased.

Board footer