You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: What Really Led To Chinese Democracys Impending Release?

Axlin16 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Which means he paid them off.

No it doesn't. That 2005 royalty thing was a clerical error that made Slash & Duff look like total fucking assholes.

The ran off and threw a lawsuit at Axl, basically accusing him of stealing their money, then like a week later it came out it was an ASCAP clerical error, and they dropped the lawsuit naturally.

Axl had no part in it.

Shortly after that is when he inked that licensing deal to basically get out of the royalty business on the back catalog.

I'm not going to jump all over Slash & Duff, but when people say "they aren't vindictive, and they love and wish Axl all the best"... look back on this. It's bullshit.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

What is this referring to then? "Slash and Duff are receiving a little payback for their troubles from Axl’s Sanctuary deals"

I knew about the clerical thing, but there were more than one lawsuit.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Eh, don't know.

I do believe there was a lawsuit in 2004, filed by Slash & Duff, claiming Axl had cheated them out of royalties, due to refusing to allow films & TV to get license rights to GN'R songs. There was also a merchandise issue too, where they claimed they weren't getting their 'just due' if I remember correctly.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Yeah, as I remember there was two Slash&Duff vs. Axl lawsuit at the same time. Sic?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Which means he paid them off.

No it doesn't. That 2005 royalty thing was a clerical error that made Slash & Duff look like total fucking assholes.

The ran off and threw a lawsuit at Axl, basically accusing him of stealing their money, then like a week later it came out it was an ASCAP clerical error, and they dropped the lawsuit naturally.

Axl had no part in it.

Shortly after that is when he inked that licensing deal to basically get out of the royalty business on the back catalog.

I'm not going to jump all over Slash & Duff, but when people say "they aren't vindictive, and they love and wish Axl all the best"... look back on this. It's bullshit.

I'm sorry.  The guy steals the rights to the name from them, has something else happen in 2004 (don't recall the details), and then something else in 2005 (and these are just the things we know about) and they are wrong to jump to conclusions?  I don't blame them a bit for assuming Axl was trying to screw them over.  Fool me once...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

One of the best articles in years. The pieces to the puzzle are slowly coming together.

NickNasty2009
 Rep: 2 

seems believable. and while the bulk of responsibility is on Axl, Merck clearly was not a competent manager or businessman. seems like he spent more time on message boards than actually doing his fuckin job, and alot of other artists were probably screwed too.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I'd really be interested in those day one SoundScan numbers.

I'll be shocked if it sold more on Sunday than it will on Black Friday. That is the day they're counting on. That is where the exclusive is supposed to come in handy. Have displays of it right at the front of the store and cram it down everyone's throats. Have the price really low, like $7.99 or something and a lot of people might pick it up out of curiosity at that price.

CD will still be priced at $11.99 on Black Friday. I guess they didn't feel confident in it enough to make it a loss leader. GH and AFD are selling at $7.99 though.

Sky Dog wrote:

watch AFD and Gh outsell Chinese!  16

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

It's a shame that most of the delays leading to Chinese Democracy had more to do with money and the business end of things than to actually do with the music. I'm sure part of the endless tinkering and retooling of the songs was simply to delay the release until the financial matters could be sorted out.

Board footer