You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Re: Emo Dorks & The Hip Hop MTV Generation Today

Von wrote:

I think the '90s and '00s have been carried by bands that were, for the most part, making music before either decade. Can I name a lot of great bands today? No. Do I hate all '90s music? No. Then, do I hate all of today's music? No. It's just about being open minded and fair at the same time. I see today's music getting a lot of flack, and maybe deservedly so, but my point was that not all of us into the '80s metal scene really appreciated where things took off to in the following decade. Of the bands you listed, I quite like Alice in Chains (and consider them a metal, not a grunge, band) and respect Pearl Jam. I wasn't calling anyone's specific opinion out and I'm not trying to specifically compare those two decades. It's just a reminder: someone always hates "today's" music, whether its the '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s, et al.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
slips wrote:

Guns, Metallica, AC/DC, U2, Green Day.

???? Bands of TODAY.  All these bands are of yesteryear.  I don't mean old bands with new albums.

If you have an album today, doesn't that make you a band of today.

I guess it's a matter of opinion but I say not really.  It's old bands putting out new albums.  Not "bands of today".  So...where are these bands of today that equal any of those I listed?  I like music from almost all decades from the 60's until the 90's.  However I can't think of even ONE solid band from 2000 up.  If someone has a few they think is equal to the greats that came before I'd love to hear them.  That's not sarcasm, I'm serious.  I am always up for good music.

I think Avenged Sevenfold comes the closest in today's music scene.  I would not say they are as good as Soundgarden, AIC, Pearl Jam, GNR etc... but for the current music scene they are great. 

I think their next album will tell.  If they continue to border on selling out it won't be great.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:
Neemo wrote:

^ was it "Lips On My Arsehole" I mean "Lips of an Angel" 16

Ha ha, that's the same thing I think whenever I hear that song.

And of 2000-present bands, I think some of the few that will be remembered in 20 years are Coheed & Cambria, Slipknot, and System of a Down.

Neemo wrote:

^ was it "Lips On My Arsehole" I mean "Lips of an Angel" 16

Yes that's what she said the name of the song was 14

Board footer