You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 207 

Re: SEBASTIAN BACH Says 'Chinese Democracy' Is 'The Definition Of Great Ro

polluxlm wrote:
huntermc wrote:

I'm glad to see that Axl has hired Bas as his new publicist! smile

As far as vinyl vs. CD, though, there's no doubt that a 12" album is much cooler to hold in your hands, and to appreciate the art. I still have all of my Iron Maiden albums, and 12" singles, with all their cool Derek Riggs art. I even bought a copy of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery simply for the H.R. Giger artwork and I don't think I've ever even listened to the thing. Appetite was one of the first CD's I bought, so I never had that one on vinyl.

I can understand how an analogue recording from the 70's or 80's sounds better on vinyl, because it more accurately captures the original sound wave as it was recorded. But I don't get how a modern pro-tools digital recording can somehow sound better when transferred to analogue and pressed on vinyl. Even if the vinyl 100% faithfully captured the wave form, it would be a faithful capture of the digital samples. Now if it the original master recordings were sampled at 96k or 48k, it could sound better than a 44.1k standard CD. But why not release it in SACD or DVDA format then?

Because even if the sound doesn't get any better Vinyl is still cool. It represent something that is lost. You're not just holding a casing with a shiny gadget inside. A vinyl is a document. A piece of art. Everything about it is soft and earthly. No plastic. It's not something you pop out and throw in. It takes an effort to play one. You have to be gentle.

All in all it heightens the experience of listening to an album. Not this cut and dry thousand song random play lists and listening to songs for 10 seconds. You gotta sit down and hear it from the beginning. You respect the format.

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

Re: SEBASTIAN BACH Says 'Chinese Democracy' Is 'The Definition Of Great Ro

GNRBABY wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Aussie wrote:

So it's the first brand new album he has bought in 15 years.  Either he stopped listening to any new music or simply started downloading stuff.  I hope he paid for the downloads.

I remember him whingeing how people weren't buying his CD when it came out - well it doesn't sound like he has been supporting other artists during the last 15 years by buying their CD?

14 Good one. He definitely shot himself in the foot with that comment.


I like his enthusiasm though, and the fact he appreciates vinyl. This young generation will never realize the degradation of quality from mp3 to vinyl.

He's referring to Vinyl, not cd's... He means he hasn't purchased an LP in 20 years, not cd's or itunes...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: SEBASTIAN BACH Says 'Chinese Democracy' Is 'The Definition Of Great Ro

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: SEBASTIAN BACH Says 'Chinese Democracy' Is 'The Definition Of Great Ro

Gunslinger wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

So can someone educate me on if Vinyl sounds better than lossless audio or CD quality audio (leave lossy and compressed formats like mp3 to die) and if so why?

I'm 31 but swapped from records to buying CDs around the time I was 15 I think....i'm genuinely interested...cos I always loved the tactile ness of records more...so i could be pursuaded to go get me another player and start getting everything new that way.

Until a couple of years ago I worked in a company where I was fortunate enough to have people like Polk, Yamaha, Dennon, NHT, etc come in and demonstrate their new products all the time.  I was heavily trained in audio and I'll answer this for you the best I can.

First let me say CD is SUPERIOR overall to vinyl.  One reason is it has unmatched clarity, however with the clarity you get a harsh "bright" sound when compared to analog.  Other reasons are cds are more compact, hold more information, have a longer lifespan.

The advantage of vinyl is it has a "warmer" sound and not as "bright" or "harsh" as a cd.  When a vinyl record is in new condition (after awhile vinyl loses quality because the needle will wear the record, whereas a cd only has a laser reading it) I find it to be a better sound.  It replicates "real life" sound a little more realisticly for the most part.  There are exceptions in my opinion, cds can capture the female voice, strings,  and piano a bit better.  Bass, electric guitar, the male voice and drums seem to benefit more from vinyl.  So if you like classical music or Mariah Carey then it will be tough to beat the sound of a cd.  If you prefer rock or rap you will benefit from the sound of vinyl...UNTIL you play the bass at very high levels, vinyl recordings lose bass quality after a certain db is obtained and will distort quicker than their cd counterpart.  I play my music fairly loud and it isn't an issue for me but you guys who prefer the "boom" of some rap music wouldn't be happy with this one drawback.

Of course this is simply preference just like speaker preference.  Some people prefer "bright" sounding speakers like Infinity while others prefer more "full" speakers like Polk.  It's the same basic thing.  I do lean to the fuller sound of vinyl but my collection is 90% cd.  The biggeset reasons for that is I play most of my music while in my vehicle and the recording process (transferring to other formats) is much easier with a cd.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: SEBASTIAN BACH Says 'Chinese Democracy' Is 'The Definition Of Great Ro

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: SEBASTIAN BACH Says 'Chinese Democracy' Is 'The Definition Of Great Ro

Gunslinger wrote:
russtcb wrote:

The laugh I got out of it was Bach referring to the "Bach Sound System". I mean, if you're gonna brag about your sound set up, I'm assuming you'd throw a different turntable in the mix other then a Ion USB one.

I got to agree with you there Russ.  That was funny, not that it is a bad system but certainly not the type you stick out your chest and brag about. 16

elevendayempire
 Rep: 84 

Re: SEBASTIAN BACH Says 'Chinese Democracy' Is 'The Definition Of Great Ro

Aussie wrote:

So it's the first brand new album he has bought in 15 years.  Either he stopped listening to any new music or simply started downloading stuff.  I hope he paid for the downloads.

Fucksake, he works in the music industry. Even the journos on music mags don't bother buying CDs, they get 'em all sent out (well, with the exception of Chinese Democracy!). I'd hazard a guess that even a mid-level rock act like Bach can get his hands on pretty much any album he wants, free of charge.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: SEBASTIAN BACH Says 'Chinese Democracy' Is 'The Definition Of Great Ro

Axlin16 wrote:

I think Baz said once, he still enjoys going into the record store and buying an album the old fashioned way, like when he was a kid.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: SEBASTIAN BACH Says 'Chinese Democracy' Is 'The Definition Of Great Ro

Olorin wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

So can someone educate me on if Vinyl sounds better than lossless audio or CD quality audio (leave lossy and compressed formats like mp3 to die) and if so why?

I'm 31 but swapped from records to buying CDs around the time I was 15 I think....i'm genuinely interested...cos I always loved the tactile ness of records more...so i could be pursuaded to go get me another player and start getting everything new that way.

Until a couple of years ago I worked in a company where I was fortunate enough to have people like Polk, Yamaha, Dennon, NHT, etc come in and demonstrate their new products all the time.  I was heavily trained in audio and I'll answer this for you the best I can.

First let me say CD is SUPERIOR overall to vinyl.  One reason is it has unmatched clarity, however with the clarity you get a harsh "bright" sound when compared to analog.  Other reasons are cds are more compact, hold more information, have a longer lifespan.

The advantage of vinyl is it has a "warmer" sound and not as "bright" or "harsh" as a cd.  When a vinyl record is in new condition (after awhile vinyl loses quality because the needle will wear the record, whereas a cd only has a laser reading it) I find it to be a better sound.  It replicates "real life" sound a little more realisticly for the most part.  There are exceptions in my opinion, cds can capture the female voice, strings,  and piano a bit better.  Bass, electric guitar, the male voice and drums seem to benefit more from vinyl.  So if you like classical music or Mariah Carey then it will be tough to beat the sound of a cd.  If you prefer rock or rap you will benefit from the sound of vinyl...UNTIL you play the bass at very high levels, vinyl recordings lose bass quality after a certain db is obtained and will distort quicker than their cd counterpart.  I play my music fairly loud and it isn't an issue for me but you guys who prefer the "boom" of some rap music wouldn't be happy with this one drawback.

Of course this is simply preference just like speaker preference.  Some people prefer "bright" sounding speakers like Infinity while others prefer more "full" speakers like Polk.  It's the same basic thing.  I do lean to the fuller sound of vinyl but my collection is 90% cd.  The biggeset reasons for that is I play most of my music while in my vehicle and the recording process (transferring to other formats) is much easier with a cd.

I used to dj locally, playing hard techno and occasionly drum n' bass. We all used vinyl and all of the professional dj's used vinyl in their sets as well at huge professional events, hip hop dj's used and still use vinyl in their sets.
Bass is one of the major components of these genres and yet vinyl has always been the main format used in clubs and at raves. All of this is usually played as loud as can possibly be. Our events motto was "so fuckin loud, we're gonna make your ears bleed."
I have never heard of vinyl being a bad choice if strong clear bass is what your after. I have drum n' bass collections on cd and honestly they pale in comparison to the vinyl versions.
Surely it is the power of the amp and the output limits of the speakers that determine clarity.
I'm not getting on your case, just curious if you could elaborate because I am interested.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB