You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: 8 reasons why Chinese Democracy stiffed

-D- wrote:

Just listening to old school Guns today and I can pretty much tell why this CD is under performing

If anyone hasn't seen the Making of Death Magnetic let me tell u a nice little comparison:

Lars is producing Kirk's guitar solo on the song "End Of The Line" I think it is.

Anyhow, Kirk has recorded 2 separate solos.

Lars listens to them both and he comments on the first one and how it sounds like a guy sitting in a room by himself away from the band and composing and constructing note for note exactly what he should play

Whereas the 2nd is a more organic , spontaneous solo that is lively and sounds like it evolved from the song.

The 2nd one is chosen of course.

anyhow, CD reminds me of that little anecdote.  CD sounds like an album recorded by 10 different guys at 10 different times with no chemistry. the music is almost so perfectly thought out it doesn't breathe. I said it sounds like a Meat Loaf album  *nothing wrong with that* but it sounds like music Celine Dion or Meat Loaf would sing over at times.

It just doesn't have that spontaneous, group vibe to it.

I recommend anyone who has forgotten how great GNR were to go put on a little "coma" or Locomotive

that is what a tight, chemistry filled organic sound is.

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

CD is loaded with stunningly amazing songs imo, but when people go "there's nothing else like this. Axl's done it again. These are amazing epics"

Dream Theater has been doing songs like that, and vastly better, since 1989/1992.

Dream Theater is like video game music, very tight amazing musicians, petrucci very underated guitarist, the drummer portnoy is one of the best around.

but back on topic... DDM kicks CD's ass

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

good post D... if you think about that while listenign to the album you can definately start picking apart the non-cohesiveness of it all...i've been sayin that they shoulda went back after all the songs  were assembled in the "demos" and take the current band and record them in one sitting as a group, that would've elevated the songs tremendously in my personal opinion

it took a couple times through the album to let go of all the baggage that came with the creation of the album...forgetting what I know through interviews and articles about the creation of it and try to accept the songs and mixes as presented...but first couple listens i could definately pick out some detatchment from some songs like you mention D

and Dont Damn Me is bad ass top 10 definately on the UYI's 9

and i hate Dream Theater...even saw them live in 04 not my thing at all

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

good post D... if you think about that while listenign to the album you can definately start picking apart the non-cohesiveness of it all...i've been sayin that they shoulda went back after all the songs  were assembled in the "demos" and take the current band and record them in one sitting as a group, that would've elevated the songs tremendously in my personal opinion

it took a couple times through the album to let go of all the baggage that came with the creation of the album...forgetting what I know through interviews and articles about the creation of it and try to accept the songs and mixes as presented...but first couple listens i could definately pick out some detatchment from some songs like you mention D

and Dont Damn Me is bad ass top 10 definately on the UYI's 9

I'm not into them live either. It's just too bloated for a live show imo. But just listening to an album, I love the studio stuff.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I'm not into them live either. It's just too bloated for a live show imo. But just listening to an album, I love the studio stuff.

too much keyboards 16 funny a gnr fan saying that...but its true

I've also been listenign to the CD album lately and thinking ... man i couple prolly make a pretty cool, guitar heavy, remix of this thing if i had the indiviual tracks

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

bazgnr wrote:

I thought there was some validity to point #1.  Point #2 was so mind-numbingly off-the-mark that I stopped reading completely.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

wow smoking guns...go back an listen to your nickelback then...they're pretty sweet...

right?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Hahahaha, I like balls out hard rock.  I do listen to Elton John's greatest hits some.  This album has about as much balls as Elton John's greatest hits. Some good songs, but none of it is even sticking in my head anymore.  I play it almost daily like its something I must do.  I am down to listening to maybe 4 songs.  CITR came on, I had forgot to skip it, I let it play....I fell asleep twice during Catcher in the Rye.  Its a dreadful piece of music. 

Axl did a great job singing on this album.  I like Better.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

too much keyboards 16 funny a gnr fan saying that...but its true

I've also been listenign to the CD album lately and thinking ... man i couple prolly make a pretty cool, guitar heavy, remix of this thing if i had the indiviual tracks

Keys can be a good thing (Pitman is God), but sometimes it just doesn't work for the song.

I listened to Street of Dreams from Columbus 2002 the other day, and overwhelmingly felt the song sounded better then. Heavier on the guitar, less on the keys. Made it unique.

Now it just sounds like it's trying too hard to be a November Rain.

Board footer