You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Izzy's potential in 21st century GNR

James wrote:

Was listening to some Izzy on YouTube while waiting for dinner to finish cooking.

It's too bad he couldn't/wouldn't be involved...whether in new GNR or the reunion.

Great little song ...just begs for some Duff bass, a Slash solo spot, and Axl on backing vocals during the chorus.

That song begs to be a GNR deep cut on a reunion album.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It would have been so easy to fix this. Give Izzy a respectable cut and he will come. Probably not for many shows, but he will come. And when he inevitably decides to flake, you got Richard waiting to take it over.

This was all down to lack of will on Axl, Slash and Duff's part. Greed has blinded them completely. They're raking in hundres of millions and they can barely be assed to pay for Adler's plane ticket. Just shameful.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

Was listening to some Izzy on YouTube while waiting for dinner to finish cooking.

It's too bad he couldn't/wouldn't be involved...whether in new GNR or the reunion.

Great little song ...just begs for some Duff bass, a Slash solo spot, and Axl on backing vocals during the chorus.

It's endlessly frustrating listening to Izzy solo stuff, because I find myself thinking "I know exactly what Axl would sound like singing this, what little bass licks Duff would thrown in, and what guitar tone Slash would be using in the right channel."

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

It's endlessly frustrating listening to Izzy solo stuff, because I find myself thinking "I know exactly what Axl would sound like singing this, what little bass licks Duff would thrown in, and what guitar tone Slash would be using in the right channel."

Some of that Juju Hounds record begs for the GNR ingredients. Crazy how he bailed out fall 1991 and already has a record ready to go summer 92.

Instead of leaving....he should've brought this material to the table.

A few examples...

Slash and Izzy could've done something special with it...an extended acoustic jam at the end.

More up tempo...could turn this into the DNB/14 Years of the album.

I could easily picture Axl singing lead vocals on this one.

Throw in This I Love and whatever songs Duff has written for his upcoming solo album....thrown in a few TSI.songs and BAM...there's your GNR record in 1992.

Yeah it would've been a laid back, mellow album but would've been fine as a record to drop in the middle of the UYI tour.

It would have been so easy to fix this. Give Izzy a respectable cut and he will come. Probably not for many shows, but he will come. And when he inevitably decides to flake, you got Richard waiting to take it over.

This was all down to lack of will on Axl, Slash and Duff's part. Greed has blinded them completely. They're raking in hundres of millions and they can barely be assed to pay for Adler's plane ticket. Just shameful.

It was an early sign on which direction the reunion would take. They didn't need to include the main songwriter because songwriting wouldn't be a priority...and obviously take into account his touring record.

I love Izzy but he has no one else to blame but himself. He didn't just leave the band in 91....he left everything. Sold his rights/share of the band.

Had he not done that....he would've had massive leverage in 2015-16. Worst case scenario it would be like Journey....they'd have to pay him to stay home.

Instead of the Big 3 it would be the Big 4.

Sky Dog wrote:

Shuffle It All was the single and was played a bunch on MTV. Easily Izzy’s best album imo

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Shuffle It All was the single and was played a bunch on MTV. Easily Izzy’s best album imo

Yeah they briefly gave it a shot. Too bad it didn't catch on although it probably wouldn't change anything....Izzy would bail on his band/tour regardless.

A year later they also gave Duff a shot....

It's too bad Believe in Me didn't catch on because Duff actually put in the effort to promote it....

He's so fucking wasted there.

It also had a handful of songs with single potential (10 Years, Could It Be U).

James

James wrote:

I hadn't watched this since it aired on MTV.....

Crazy to see that in hindsight. Claims to not have a problem with touring yet is a few months away from abandoning his band on the road....and other than a handful of GNR appearances 2006-14, never tours again.

That really is a great record though...no doubt.

Holy shit I had no idea this existed....

If MTV ever played that...it was only once.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

First half of 117°, his second solo album, is great and could easily be a folk, tom petty-esque EP a la Lies.

James

James wrote:
otto wrote:

First half of 117°, his second solo album, is great and could easily be a folk, tom petty-esque EP a la Lies.

I need to give this another spin. I bought it back in the day but didn't like it.

He never topped JuJu IMO.

Same could be said for all the ex members....never topped their debuts (Snakepit, Believe in Me, Pawnshop Guitars).

Still blows me away that Axl.... supposedly the most ambitious member of the band...has the smallest discography. I'll never forget that interview around 89-91 where he talked about releasing 4-5 albums in two years.... including a solo album.

Board footer