You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Cooking

polluxlm wrote:

I made a new dish that has been really successful. One of my regular places took it off their menu and I didn't have the recipe, so I just threw in what I knew was there then took a chance on the rest. It tastes almost identical to the restaurant.

Pasta Creole

Pasta is supposed to be Linguini, but I have just been using Tagliatelle.
1 glass of generic pasta sauce (will be adding spices myself so I use the most basic I can find)
1 Chorizo sausage
200 grams of sliced chicken
1 onion
A little bit of Cayenne pepper
Garlic pepper
Generic spice mix

Chop up the sausage and the chicken into small pieces. Put the chicken in the pan first, season it with garlic pepper and the generic spice mix. Then put in the sausage (chorizo doesn't need any seasoning). Fry them together in the pan while you heat up the pasta water.

When the water starts to boil (time it right and the frying pan will also be done) I put in the pasta, then add the tomato sauce to the frying pan and sprinkle some cayenne pepper on it. Add sliced onions.

When the pasta is ready I take some of the water from that pan and add it to the frying pan. Then throw the pasta in the frying pan to let it mix with the sauce. 1 minute, and then you're done.

I can make this dish for about 6 dollars and it tastes great. I could sell this if I had my own restaurant.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I compete in the Steak Cookoff Association and KCBS. KCBS is too expensive as it’s a $1200 investment in the protein alone if you want any chance at walking each time, but the SCA is much more affordable. Been to the world championship the past 2 years and will be at Fort Worth in March for my 3rd time at worlds competing.

But in the spirit of this thread, my favorite at home recipe to cook is a spicy style alfredo sauce.

1/2# of pancetta diced and fried in the pan (bacon is a fine alternative)

Remove the pancetta, but leave the oil
1/2 a white onion, finally diced
8-12 cherry peppers chopped
2 cloves garlic

Add the onions and cherry peppers to the pan and sauté for 3-5 minutes over medium heat
Add crushed/diced garlic and continue to cook for 30-50 seconds until aromatic hits you.

Turn heat to low

Add 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream and mix until everything is well blended
Add 4-6 ounces of Parmesan slowly while stirring until desired consistency is achieved. 
Add cooked pancetta back into the mixture
Pepper to taste

Add cooked pasta (I’m obsessed with bucatini at the moment) and a few ounces of the pasta water into the sauce and stir until we’ll mixed and coated

One of the best pasta dishes I’ve had anywhere

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I recently picked up a PitBoss pellet smoker...I have no special recipes tho

I smoked a brisket last weekend

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I compete in the Steak Cookoff Association and KCBS. KCBS is too expensive as it’s a $1200 investment in the protein alone if you want any chance at walking each time, but the SCA is much more affordable. Been to the world championship the past 2 years and will be at Fort Worth in March for my 3rd time at worlds competing.

But in the spirit of this thread, my favorite at home recipe to cook is a spicy style alfredo sauce.

1/2# of pancetta diced and fried in the pan (bacon is a fine alternative)

Remove the pancetta, but leave the oil
1/2 a white onion, finally diced
8-12 cherry peppers chopped
2 cloves garlic

Add the onions and cherry peppers to the pan and sauté for 3-5 minutes over medium heat
Add crushed/diced garlic and continue to cook for 30-50 seconds until aromatic hits you.

Turn heat to low

Add 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream and mix until everything is well blended
Add 4-6 ounces of Parmesan slowly while stirring until desired consistency is achieved. 
Add cooked pancetta back into the mixture
Pepper to taste

Add cooked pasta (I’m obsessed with bucatini at the moment) and a few ounces of the pasta water into the sauce and stir until we’ll mixed and coated

One of the best pasta dishes I’ve had anywhere

That sounds right up my alley. Definitely gonna try this next weekend. Good shit dude.

Neemo wrote:

I recently picked up a PitBoss pellet smoker...I have no special recipes tho

I smoked a brisket last weekend

Me and my cousin smoke a brisket every month or so. We smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving last year too. Came out amazing.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Oh man I’ve been meaning to smoke a turkey for thanksgiving one year

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
misterID wrote:

Oh man I’ve been meaning to smoke a turkey for thanksgiving one year

Once you smoke one, there is no going back man.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

my grandpa's smoked turkey nuggets were amazing.

Like crack cocaine.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You guys have got me convinced now 16

I usually get a prime honey baked ham and a smaller turkey so this is gonna be a change

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Sounds good gents.

I have a lot of cooking practice I'd like to get done. I need to make a list to prioritize but I think canning, pickling, and the like are going to be next on the list. I'm going to learn how to make dill pickles, sauerkraut, and kombucha. They all should be pretty low cost (knock on wood) and allow me to experiment with different variations.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Anyone here bake bread, make pie crust, or make pizzas?

I'm terrible with them and intimidated to dig in and practice.

Kombucha brewing will be next and doing some sourdough for family is after that.

Board footer