You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The General confirmed next

James wrote:

Without reading that whole Hoffman thread again, isn't the original story considered true but the guy coming back years later to post it again with more detail the fake?

It seems like he got stuck in a loop with this project, I mean even after the album came out in 2008 the band seemed to be reworking them in 2010.

I know how he could've unstuck himself...

Once the decision was made after the 2002 fiasco to move forward with the project, start focusing on the next set of songs.

We were beat over the head with the Buckmaster tracks...now finish up the Beltrami tracks and have the album revolve around those...and have the set list revolve around them.

We were told the songs they were playing on the 2002 tour weren't the best of the bunch...so prove it.

busngabb
 Rep: 1 

busngabb wrote:

I guess we'll know soon enough. If 'The General' is a very average song or an instrumental (I think both are unfortunately quite likely given the weird way in which they are planning to release it) then it migth give credence to this story.

The questioning could then move to Bach, surely someone could go back to him on The General if it's an instrumental, doesn't match his description or is a poor song.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

02-06 was his moment.

2001-2004 for me.  Once that NYT article or whatever came out going over the costs and the over runs, it kind of became a joke and you lose all momentum.  So anywhere from the RIR appearance to before the article came out.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Earlier the better. A nin style GN'R record is never going to be huge. The less anticipation the better. Get it all out of your system. It should have been out in the summer of 2001 at the latest. Get out on tour then have the VMA02 moment be a success with Axl knowing not to blow himself out in 30 seconds. Do the follow up in 03-04, then see where it goes.

Downside is that a reunion might never happen if nu-gnr is a success.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

All great points. The NYT piece, which I did not read at the time, changed the conversation from “What brilliant album is Axl Rose making?” — with everyone trusting in him — to “Holy shit, he doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

I would happily have never gotten this cash-grab reunion tour if it meant we got more NuGuns material.

God, after hearing the storage locker leaks I would happily have paid for a meet and greet, just to ask Chris and the others about these songs.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

post-6.jpg?fit=976%2C540&ssl=1

Can you imagine how much better he’d have been received if this Axl had shown up at the VMAs?

ClaudeF

ClaudeF wrote:
misterID wrote:

https://i0.wp.com/axlrosefaclube.com/wp … C540&ssl=1

Can you imagine how much better he’d have been received if this Axl had shown up at the VMAs?

For real. And imagine if he had thrown down only new material. In the 8 minutes he had he could have done “Chinese Democracy” and “The Blues.” Doing oldies made him look desperate, like he was leaning too much on nostalgia. “Chinese Democracy” back then sounded lean, mean, and topical. “The Blues” would have spotlighted his gift for writing ballads in a way that “Madagascar” with its funeral-like intro and soundbytes did not.

If you look back on U2’s career, they did a similar evolution with the album Achtung Baby. When they did the Zoo TV tour to support it, they played eight new songs in a row at the start, and nothing older than “Pride.”  They wanted to play songs that reflected who they’d become in their 30s, and it proved to be a tour still talked about today.

This clip is amazing. Watch it and imagine if Axl showed the same happy determination at the VMAs as Bono shows here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry42AY3efqw

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

https://i0.wp.com/axlrosefaclube.com/wp … C540&ssl=1

Fuck yes!  That was one of the big problems.  Yeah, it seems superficial but he looked weird and not the Axl that most people were accustomed to.  Go with any of the 2001 looks or even the 2006 look (to signify yes, this is a new band!) and the entire reaction to the thing changes.  Well that and releasing the album around that time.

I'd almost want to go back in time and redo that entire time period.  Such a wasted opportunity.

And yeah, they should have went with The Blues.  It sounds a lot more like "classic guns" and it's a lot shorter.  If you're doing a medley busting out an epic that requires a soundbite is not the best idea.

ClaudeF

ClaudeF wrote:

Ever since the (hopefully false) vinyl-only, no streaming rumor surfaced we’ve gone from speculating about the band’s future to concern and acceptance that this could be the end of the line.

This thread is like writing an obituary while waiting for confirmation the band is dead.

Who could have imagined we’d get here.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
misterID wrote:

This was the moment to pull the trigger. New GNR never had more cohesion or character than here. Yes they were "freaks" but in a good way. It doesn't matter it wasn't classic GNR look. That's the point. Burn the past, burn the boats, take the island.

I love 2006 too but that's the 2nd or 3rd album at that point. 2001-2002 was still in the post-millenium funk vibe.

ClaudeF wrote:

Who could have imagined we’d get here.

"Perhaps" and the video feels like an epitaph in many ways, tbh.

Board footer