You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Election 2012-Issue #1 labor unions/right to work states

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not opposed to the war - I'm indifferent.  That's not what I've been saying.  He made shit up, he didn't give his real reasons for going to war.  I have no problem with that either, but lets not pretend he played by the rules and stated his real reasons for the war.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not opposed to the war - I'm indifferent.  That's not what I've been saying.  He made shit up, he didn't give his real reasons for going to war.  I have no problem with that either, but lets not pretend he played by the rules and stated his real reasons for the war.

The simple fact that Iraq had been violating UN resolutions since the end of the first war was all he needed. If Bush had never pulled the trigger, Obama could have when he became president.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Tell that to ID.  He thinks Bush wrote an essay about it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Tell that to ID.  He thinks Bush wrote an essay about it.

????

I gave you his essay cliffsnotes.

And james, we don't elect a dictator. No president should have carte blanche to start a war at his own whim. They can call it unconstitutional all they want.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

And james, we don't elect a dictator. No president should have carte blanche to start a war at his own whim.

In a crisis, no president should be forced to have congressional approval. If so, where does it stop? What's the litmus test on using the War Powers Act? The extreme being WWIII, minor air strikes, or everything in between? Presidents Reagan through Obama have violated the act. Are you telling me every president in the modern era deserved to be impeached?

If China invades Taiwan or the current China-Japan crisis spirals out of control, do you seriously want Obama to sit with congressional leaders who pretty much despise him and get on his knees seeking approval? I don't like Obama but in a crisis I'd rather see Obama and his advisers make the crucial decisions instead of wallowing in the red tape of partisan gridlock.

There's too many loopholes for its enforcement anyways. Obama could call the next war a "police action", "humanitarian crisis", etc.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They have leeway, for what, 60 or 90 days to make a military strike without approval? in case America is attacked? And presidents have been using that loophole to do what Clinton did in Bosnia, etc., it wasn't a crisis. Congress has the ability to defund any military operation/war and stop it.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Do you think congress would throw a hissy fit in a real conflict just because the President is not in their party?

It's a moot point anyway. At this point there's never going to be any serious threats from the big powers. Even if some russian or chinese leader would be insane enough to try and start something they'd be dead in 5 minutes. As would Obama.

Too much riding on this for too many people. Nobody would allow a leader to have real power.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Wow, good to see some things never change, haha. Reading this thread, all of the usual suspects (other than myself) back in the ring, swinging for the Royal Rumble.

I honestly am so disillusioned with the entire system at this point that I really don't care. Romney doesn't have a chance in hell of winning, and it fades daily. I obviously prefer Obama, but even Obama frankly sucks beyond his protection of social services.

At the same time though -- we are going to go broke.

Nobody knows or wants to know how to fix it. The politicians are manufactured, including Obama. Ask a Republican how to fix the problem, they say cut back regulation and give the elitists tax breaks. Ask a Democrat, and they say tax the rich more, add more public funding, use the government to create jobs.

None of them want to listen to each other. The local politician ads are even more clueless and sickening.

The every day voter believes Bill O'Reilly's "No Spin Zone" actually is truth and 'no spin'. Jesus Christ.

I feel lost in it all. I don't see anything the way any of them exactly see it. I'm closer to Obama, but even with that I don't think he's been a fantastic president. Romney is a robot who pushes military defense of needless wars that get Americans dead and Capitalists rich with their war machines. Obama says he's gonna bring them all home... and yet... we're still sending bodies home of guys who are getting killed by the police forces they are training.

And yet I feel like a scumbag, because i'm actually starting to sympathize with the Afghani's. We've been in their backyard for a decade, for no reason. I'd be pissed too.

I guess i'm officially in polluxlm's corner. And I still feel like I need to shower constantly.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

1348213980000_Herb--21-09-12-mit_4514354698x698r.jpg

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

haha, ain't that the truth.

Board footer