You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

TheMole wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Rubio hit Trump hard tonight...I couldn't believe it.

Absolutely! Seriously, is there anyone who's seen this debate and still thinks Trump has any real ideas, or even remotely knows what he's talking about? Previous debates he won by shouting and insulting the other candidates, but when they stop holding back and play the game by his rules he holds up about as good as a wet paper towel. Will we be seeing Trump-bot meme's now?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Unfortunately I missed it. I'll check it out on youtube tomorrow.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Absolutely! Seriously, is there anyone who's seen this debate and still thinks Trump has any real ideas, or even remotely knows what he's talking about?

Hard to say. I don't think his rhetoric is indicative of his real policies. It's just talk.

The problem is the other candidates may present better and more realistic proposals, but who believes them? An election isn't decided by intellect. Trump understands this. People like his persona and that's the most important thing.

The rest of the field can talk a big game all they want, they still come off as the establishment cronies that they are.

Previous debates he won by shouting and insulting the other candidates, but when they stop holding back and play the game by his rules he holds up about as good as a wet paper towel. Will we be seeing Trump-bot meme's now?

That's simplifying it. His shouting and insulting is a response to attacks on him. Might look cartoonish if you don't like him, but it is an effective way to rebuff some of the insane statements he's made that are thrown back at him.

And it still seems to be working:

GOP debate Final share of Twitter, Trump... 51% Rubio...21% Cruz... 14%

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Trump comes off as very bitchy and effeminate, the way he pouts and waves his hand around. I don't understand the appeal.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Trump will be slaughtered in one-on-one General election debates when ideas and policies are the topic.

And, James, there's not a snowball's chance in hell any republican wins California. Colorado is pretty quickly becoming a democratic/liberal state as well.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Rubio is eviscerating Trump live at a rally live on CNN right now.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Absolutely! Seriously, is there anyone who's seen this debate and still thinks Trump has any real ideas, or even remotely knows what he's talking about? Previous debates he won by shouting and insulting the other candidates, but when they stop holding back and play the game by his rules he holds up about as good as a wet paper towel. Will we be seeing Trump-bot meme's now?

Omg was that debate a slabberknocker, I'm glad I tuned in, I haven't been this entertained by a back and forth since the Eminem / Benzino beef.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:
Rex wrote:

Trump comes off as very bitchy and effeminate, the way he pouts and waves his hand around. I don't understand the appeal.

Couple things I like about Trump
1- He's calling out crony capitalism, which is major problem no other candidate is talking about, because they all need help financing their campaigns
2- I think he made some good points on foreign policy,?how we've destabilized the region.

Trump is funny, he's not as articulate on the issues as a career politician, but if you listen closely, he does have some interesting ideas. Likely he's carasmatic enough that it doesn't matter that he's not articulate.  End of the day, a lot of people vote on emotion, so I wouldn't count him out.  I also wouldn't make the assumption that he's dumb and doesn't have ideas. Trump is a successful businessman, and he's proven to be able to get big stuff done.

Will those skills translate to politics, who knows. But it's definitely interesting.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

Also, the exchange between Rubio and Trump on Obamacare was weird.  Rubio argued that Trump didn't have any real ideas on healthcare, other than "getting rid of the lines, whatever that means".

Wtf - that's the idea. Create competition and allow the market to reduce price.  That's the idea. And that's the most conservative of ideas. That was the idea that republicans presented as the alternative for Obamacare - now Rubio doesn't know what that means all of a sudden? Wtf?  Why press Trump on that? What was he looking for? A lecture on free market economics 101? Does Rubio not believe in free market economics? 

Bottom line, you make covering pre existing conditions mandatory - you allow carriers to compete nation wide. Carriers that can't afford it will fail, carriers that can make it affordable with succeed - that's the market system - that's how you make things affordable.  Rubio "doesn't think that's a realistic idea" because the healthcare lobby doesn't like the idea. Crony capitalism.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
RaZor wrote:

Also, the exchange between Rubio and Trump on Obamacare was weird.  Rubio argued that Trump didn't have any real ideas on healthcare, other than "getting rid of the lines, whatever that means".

Wtf - that's the idea. Create competition and allow the market to reduce price.  That's the idea. And that's the most conservative of ideas. That was the idea that republicans presented as the alternative for Obamacare - now Rubio doesn't know what that means all of a sudden? Wtf?  Why press Trump on that? What was he looking for? A lecture on free market economics 101? Does Rubio not believe in free market economics? 

Bottom line, you make covering pre existing conditions mandatory - you allow carriers to compete nation wide. Carriers that can't afford it will fail, carriers that can make it affordable with succeed - that's the market system - that's how you make things affordable.  Rubio "doesn't think that's a realistic idea" because the healthcare lobby doesn't like the idea. Crony capitalism.

I thought it was weird too. Trump just shrugged his shoulders and said (paraphrasing) "Yes, that's it!" Simple concept, no need for a dissertation. I had to laugh at Rubio too, who offered tax credits for Americans to buy insurance...you know, like Obamacare. In fact when you read his plans (chock full of generic and empty promises like "promote innovation") it's quite similar to the ACA.

Anyway...Christie endorses Trump. Which to me is shocking, and kind of a big deal (We'll see how true that is I guess.) Also answers my earlier question in regards to his Veep and who would put their neck out there to get on the Trump bandwagon. Well now we know...

Board footer