You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

metallex78 wrote:

Watched Wonder Woman 1984, and thought it was a great, fun, no brainer, action film. Came home to read reviews completely ripping it apart saying how bad it is. And the thing is, I can’t disagree, but I still really enjoyed it.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Watched Wonder Woman 1984, and thought it was a great, fun, no brainer, action film. Came home to read reviews completely ripping it apart saying how bad it is. And the thing is, I can’t disagree, but I still really enjoyed it.

I found it ok, I said good but not great. Admittedly I didn't find it as fun/enjoyable as you maybe. Again, not bad, just felt it could've been better. Maybe I'll rewatch it in a few weeks/months.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Out of the Furnace

I’m all for slow character dramas but not above a little more action.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The French Connection. Can't believe it took me this long. Only in the 70s could Gene Hackman be a leading man.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

The French Connection. Can't believe it took me this long. Only in the 70s could Gene Hackman be a leading man.

That has one of my favorite chase scenes of all time.  The one in the subway where Hackman and scheinder are trying to catch the Fernando Rey character.  Love 70s cinema, there just something different about it.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
misterID wrote:

Great movie. Modern movies can't hold a candle to the oldies.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Love 70s cinema, there just something different about it.

It has a grittiness that can never and will never be replicated.

Rocky
Black Christmas
TCM
Cheech and Chong

List goes on and on.

The Godfather...set a couple decades earlier...has this grittiness.

The contrast between this grittiness and the more light and cheesy feel of the 80s is incredible.

Watch one of the films above and then watch something like Ferris Bueller, Friday the 13th, or Rocky IV.

Night and day.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, I'm making a list of seventies films I've missed. I watched Marathon Man and All That Jazz for the first time a while back, and Roy Scheider was incredible. So much more to that guy than Jaws.

Also watched American Graffiti. What hell happened to THAT George Lucas?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

A cool 70s movie worth checking out is The Prince Of The City. Its similar to The Deparded  , kinda like the NYPD is in cahoots with crime and a young officer tries to expose it. Its very similar, in fact.

Its got the grittiness & film look. Looking For Mr Goodbar was another, although geez it was in the 90s when i saw that, not sure how it held up.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Yeah, I'm making a list of seventies films I've missed. I watched Marathon Man and All That Jazz for the first time a while back, and Roy Scheider was incredible. So much more to that guy than Jaws.

Also watched American Graffiti. What hell happened to THAT George Lucas?

Sorcerer, starring Schneider is also really good.  It also had the misfortune of coming out the same year as Star Wars and had an incredibly misleading title.  I think it's better than Marathon Man, which should have ended 5 minutes earlier than it did.  Also, not really in the mood to go to the dentist after watching that film.

PaSnow wrote:

A cool 70s movie worth checking out is The Prince Of The City. Its similar to The Deparded  , kinda like the NYPD is in cahoots with crime and a young officer tries to expose it. Its very similar, in fact.

Its got the grittiness & film look. Looking For Mr Goodbar was another, although geez it was in the 90s when i saw that, not sure how it held up.

Prince of the City was a 1980s film, although it has a 70s film feel.  It has Jerry Orbach and Treat Williams.  It's solid, I watched it.   Cutter's Way with Jeff Bridges that was released in 1981 has that same "feel".  A couple of more 70s films:

Who'll Stop the Rain--nice post vietnam thriller starring Nick Nolte as a guy from the run from all types of pepople
Charley Varrick--Walter Mattheau in an excellent heist/con thriller.

Also, the 70s films just had better music and soundtracks, especially with the funk infleunced ones.  Some of the 80s soundtracks with the synths are really cheese and add to this sort of light and happy mood that talked about earlier.

Board footer