You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: What unanswered questions do you want answered by GnR?

exoterica wrote:

lol I remember that guy.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Nah James, the 2008 artwork was done in 2008. One of the GNR podcasts had the designer on who worked on it.

And besides, the illustration complexity in the album artwork wasn’t possible in 2002 and half of the photographs were taken by George Chin in either 2002 or 2006 (Axl, Buckethead, Ron to name a few).

That reminds me:

Axl: What happened to the supposed 2000 album mastered by George Marino?

Axl: Was there a finished album cover including lyrics etc in 2002? (The Journey guy was working on it... it’s here on Evo somewhere)

Adding a couple pics doesn't really change the fact this was wrapped up in 2002.

Which leads to.....

Axl: Was there a finished album cover including lyrics etc in 2002?

Like I already said.....yes.

At the show in China, the album cover was flashed on the screen. That's how fans knew the description of the album cover. Combine that with Axls 2002 quote saying that the album cover and liner notes are ready.

There's an alternate universe where this album comes out in 2002.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Nah James, the 2008 artwork was done in 2008. One of the GNR podcasts had the designer on who worked on it.

And besides, the illustration complexity in the album artwork wasn’t possible in 2002 and half of the photographs were taken by George Chin in either 2002 or 2006 (Axl, Buckethead, Ron to name a few).

That reminds me:

Axl: Was there a finished album cover including lyrics etc in 2002? (The Journey guy was working on it... it’s here on Evo somewhere)

Adding a couple pics doesn't really change the fact this was wrapped up in 2002.

Which leads to.....

At the show in China, the album cover was flashed on the screen. That's how fans knew the description of the album cover. Combine that with Axls 2002 quote saying that the album cover and liner notes are ready.

Yes fair but like I said, the quality of the work is incompatible with 2002 and what the designer himself said.

I’m sure the artwork and liner notes were done previously but they probably re-did them multiple times. There are probably a handful of abandoned logo concepts too.

Only parties that could settle it would be the record company, doubt Axl remembers that stuff

James

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

The whole 2006 near-reunion blows my mind with what a missed opportunity it was. Stumbled across this video of GnR at Download with Izzy. Considering just a couple years before, Izzy was helping VR, thinking he was possibly a conduit between the Axl/Slash camp. A 2006 reunion with this Axl, Slash, and Izzy could have retaken the world of rock music. Unfortunately it was 8 years later when Duff hooked up with Axl that proved to be the catalyst.

(PS pay no mind to the fact that Ron’s solos are inaudible lol)

What really happened mid 2005-early 2006 is the biggest mystery remaining in the band's history. It now trumps the Chinese saga.... mainly because he was willing to throw cold water on it a crucial point to reunite the classic lineup.

That infamous 2005 NYT article exposing how absurd the CD saga had become is even more interesting in hindsight. It's starting to look like it might have been round one of an effort to publicly kill off the project once and for all.

The big questions on this topic are....

- What planted the seed?

-Who was going to be in the lineup?

- Exactly how did it fall apart?

We now know how easy it was to keep it on the down low. They simply didn't talk... like they're doing now.

Here's the track list for the GH2 that was supposed to come out then....

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE: THE VERY BEST OF GUNS N' ROSES

Disc One

Jungle
Brownstone
SCOM
Civil War
14 Years
Used To Love Her
Out To Get Me
Down on the Farm
My Michelle
Coma
Move to the City (live)
November Rain
Nightrain
Live and Let Die
Don't Cry (demo)

Disc Two

It's So Easy
You Could Be Mine
KOHD (live)
Patience
Pretty Tied Up
Shadow of Your Love
Double Talking Jive
Locomotive
Dead Horse
You're Crazy (Lies)
Yesterdays
Estranged
Rocket Queen
Paradise City
Jungle (demo)

Announced fall 2005 with a March 2006 release date. The original track list did not have Shadow of Your Love. It was added later.

Considering the only song they've released 2016-2020 is Shadow, it's easy to connect the dots on what was going to happen.

They were going to tour behind the GH2 in 2006 with Shadow as the comeback single.

It blew up in their faces....GH2 was shit canned....we hear the Beta-Slash fiasco...then Axl shows up at that party, hardcores get a few leaks, and a quickly thrown together tour is planned with a brand new guitarist hired before they take the stage at Hammerstein.

I think it was technically still up in the air until the Hammerstein show gets underway. Issues with Tommy and the Bucket slot was open until Ron hit the stage.

Those are two very important slots to be opening up. lol

I remember mocking Gigger back then (Sp1at guy) for suggesting Slash might take the stage at Hammerstein. He was obviously wrong of course...but I've wondered if he heard rumblings and rolled the dice on that prediction.

I wish one of them would open up about what happened. It wouldn't harm anything at this point.

Id like to know if those involved fluctuated over the months before it broke down. Was it initially going to be a classic lineup reunion or was a hybrid already taking shape?

Example...

Where's Izzy in all this? Obviously he played a role in it. He toured with new GNR off and on. Is he "All In" at this point?

With Izzy in.... Fortus isn't needed.

Duff obviously knocks Tommy out.

Slash removes the need for Bucket/Ron and also makes Finck redundant and expendable.

We know Dizzy would be in.

Where's Sorum? Where's Adler? If these two are out or in a "guest appearance" role, this means Brain is in the running. Frank hasn't entered the equation yet.

In a world without CD or a revamped CD with the old guys, is Pitman also expendable? 2016 tells us that the answer is probably yes.

James

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

That reminds me:

Which leads to.....

Yes fair but like I said, the quality of the work is incompatible with 2002 and what the designer himself said.

I’m sure the artwork and liner notes were done previously but they probably re-did them multiple times. There are probably a handful of abandoned logo concepts too.

Only parties that could settle it would be the record company, doubt Axl remembers that stuff

The only thing I want to see from that is the original track list.

The Village Sessions tells us there could've been a killer track list at the time before leaks started and then morphed it into a leaks album.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

FlashFlood wrote:

The whole 2006 near-reunion blows my mind with what a missed opportunity it was. Stumbled across this video of GnR at Download with Izzy. Considering just a couple years before, Izzy was helping VR, thinking he was possibly a conduit between the Axl/Slash camp. A 2006 reunion with this Axl, Slash, and Izzy could have retaken the world of rock music. Unfortunately it was 8 years later when Duff hooked up with Axl that proved to be the catalyst.

(PS pay no mind to the fact that Ron’s solos are inaudible lol)

Yeah. I enjoyed the 2016 reunion but it pisses me off that for whatever reason – stubbornness, business, whatever – they couldn't patch up their differences in 2006. We could've had a decade more of this band, with Axl looking lean, mean and singing his heart out. Remember that 2006-era Sailing cover? Imagine that with Slash all over it.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

Id like to know if those involved fluctuated over the months before it broke down. Was it initially going to be a classic lineup reunion or was a hybrid already taking shape?

Example...

Where's Izzy in all this? Obviously he played a role in it. He toured with new GNR off and on. Is he "All In" at this point?

Slash removes the need for Bucket/Ron and also makes Finck redundant and expendable.

Where's Sorum? Where's Adler? If these two are out or in a "guest appearance" role, this means Brain is in the running. Frank hasn't entered the equation yet.

In a world without CD or a revamped CD with the old guys, is Pitman also expendable? 2016 tells us that the answer is probably yes.

I wouldn't rule out Tommy in > Duff out. There were definitely going to be some Nu Guns guys still in the band. Don't forget the hybrid logo...just add Slash and you can sell a New Classic GnR. Is this around the time Slash called Duff spineless?

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

Example...

I wouldn't rule out Tommy in > Duff out. There were definitely going to be some Nu Guns guys still in the band. Don't forget the hybrid logo...just add Slash and you can sell a New Classic GnR. Is this around the time Slash called Duff spineless?

Yes, that was during the infamous drunken late night visit to Axl's house.

Board footer