You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

mitchejw wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

"This next song we're gonna dedicate to our good friend Jarmo. 30 years ago was his first Guns N' Roses concert. So 30 years of gloom and despair and also it's been 30 years since we put out an original song. This is called 'Absurd'".

-Axl before "ABSURD", Denver, CO, 08/16/21

Is this the first time Jarmo got a shout out? I'm not sure how I feel about that.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

"This next song we're gonna dedicate to our good friend Jarmo. 30 years ago was his first Guns N' Roses concert. So 30 years of gloom and despair and also it's been 30 years since we put out an original song. This is called 'Absurd'".

Is this the first time Jarmo got a shout out? I'm not sure how I feel about that.

No, he got a shoutout at RIR3 in 2001 and I think at least one other time but don't quote me on the latter.

The guy travels with the band and has for years so it's not surprising and I personally don't care.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

I don't really hate Absurd, but I will say the song flowed a lot better on HOB and RM1. I feel like the best version of the song would be a studio studio HOB version. I am pretty surprised how much longer it is than the original version (minus the intro), idk still find it strange they released the worst song from the CD era to be the first single. Part of me thinks it was going to be Hardschool but they released Axl can't sing it, but that doesn't stop him from attempting 95% of the set lol.

I feel like the biggest issue I have with it is the repetitive lyrics. Repetition is fine in a song, but it needs to flow from one thing to another with callbacks, rather than just repeating the same lyrics over and over.

If I were doing it – and I'm fully aware that I'm not a multi-platinum songwriter – I'd do something like this:

Intro riff x2
[Verse 1]
Listen, motherfuckers, to the song that should be heard
Back down in the gutter is more than you deserve
Screaming fucking banshee, you know that’s what you are ***(fix the wonky off-beat vocals)
Pussy full of maggots, isn’t that absurd?

Absurd riff x2 ***(without Axl singing "Absurd")

Slash solo lick

Intro riff x2

[Verse 2]
Dizzy little dreamer with your head down in the stars
Fucking little schemer lost yourself inside the art
Syphilitic priestess baby, I know who you are
Parasitic demon sucking acid through your heart

What can I do? With a bitch like you.

Slash solo lick

[Chorus]
Absurd

Absurd

Slash solo lick

Intro riff x2

[Bridge]
Just another life slips away

Intro riff x2

[Verse 3]
Listen, motherfuckers, to the song that should be heard
Back down in the gutter is more than you deserve
Screaming fucking banshee, you know that’s what you are
Pussy full of maggots, isn’t that absurd?

[Chorus]
Absurd
Absurd
Absurd

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

the lyrics in this song actually have no real purpose. sure, they were made in a way which sounded aggressive and venom-spitting, but in the end they are not there for someone to actually listen to them.
in this song, they were used more like another musical instrument, to co-play with the rest of the instruments. it doesn't really matter what the singer is singing about, it's there to create another instrumental line (just made of vocals which scream some lyrics).
this is how I can see it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

They basically used him as their PR department, which is just how sad things were back then. He totally let it go to his head and he ruined his forum with his petty, little insecure self (he was taken on tour as a "photographer" and hung out at Axl's house, so it was worth it for him, I guess). He did more to hurt the fan base than any other figure not Axl. But, you know, good for him.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:
misterID wrote:

Really makes me want to hear Slash on Hard School.

You didn't hear the full soundcheck from a couple of weeks ago?

I just heard a snippet on YouTube.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

ABSURD update:

• 3.3 million plays between YouTube and Spotify

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

ABSURD update:

Hmm....

Not good....not bad.

If/when a second single is released, it really needs a legit video.

That'll bring the numbers up dramatically.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

ABSURD update:

Hmm....

Not good....not bad.

If/when a second single is released, it really needs a legit video.

That'll bring the numbers up dramatically.

Possibly that. I also think absurd isn't really a track the casual fan will listen to twice. Kinda a hey look what's this and then a oh well that's certainly something. Hardschool has more replay potential. If it ever gets released we shall see.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I still can't get over the fact they chose Silk Worms as the first single. It's not a safe choice I'll give them that.

There is a benefit to this thing with Slash and Duff reinterpretating CD vault tracks. You get that classic, recognizable GN'R sound and the flavor of the eclectic ensemble that worked on CD over the years. It sounds like old Guns N Roses but it also sounds new. They might actually deliever a pretty good album from the fans perspective. Will be lots of butthurt from CD fans though, including myself.

Board footer