You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

exoterica wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: just keep releasing stuff.

If something isn't for them, people will just wait for the next thing. But when you release a new album every 14 years (btw, DJ Ashba's quote turned out to be false, lol) and you keep people hanging on a prayer, they will over-criticize your work.

Absurd is a fun little jam. If you don't get into the drone-ish groove, you're gonna hate it. "Isn't the absurd?!!!", "Suckin acid through your haaaaaht!" are just fun Axl moments. It gets your juices flowing. It's a punk pump-up song.

But it should be on a 4 song EP exploring the post-industrial punk electronica thing. In isolation it looks like an oddity.

And it's also a structural mess. They were wise to cut out the minute intro but that really undercut it's identity. The EDM bridge is extra pointless now because it is the only remnant from when the song was more of an electronic influenced rocker. Every New GNR song is compared to NIN but really, Axl wishes. Trent knows how to structure because he studied the best electronic artists and copied. Hell, even Pitman's solo stuff has a way better grasp on the concepts.

In short, I like it but see why others don't. There are valid criticisms.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

(btw, DJ Ashba's quote turned out to be false, lol)

What was the quote?!?

Yeah the new version is a mess. Listened to it really loud again last night and holy shit....it is abrasive.

I'm glad they released it though.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

ABSURD vinyl / single release confirmed by Fernando via MyGNR just now.

Bodes well.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:
James wrote:

What was the quote?!?

The quote:

"Once the tour is over, Guns N' Roses will turn their focus to working on a seventh album. Despite dozens of songs in rough form, the band are in no hurry - but there won't be another decade-long delay. "It won't be another Chinese Democracy but then again we're in no rush to make a bad record," says Ashba." - DJ, Yahoo, 01/23/13

It has been in fact, "another Chinese Democracy".

Yahoo is doing some read-between-the-lines editorializing but of course the 10 year mark already passed in 2018.

If they sneak in an album release this year, they'll technically prove Ashba right but you know, 13/14 years is pretty much the same.

And if you count "Oh My God" in 1999 instead of "Sympathy for the Devil" in 1994 as the metric, 2015 would've been the 9-year mark to beat. And they didn't. 

Failing grades, all around.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Wagszilla wrote:

Bodes well.

Any word on if it'll have anything on it besides Absurd?

exoterica

exoterica wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Bodes well.

Any word on if it'll have anything on it besides Absurd?

No mention of that

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Bodes well.

That is good news....but the timing is off. It should've coincided with the release on streaming platforms.

Either way....I'll buy it. I've always said I'll support them as long as they release material.

Hopefully there's B sides....but they have a terrible track record when it comes to B sides.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

it sounds like fernando may have also confirmed a release for hard school. it's a weird exchange:

https://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/215649 … nt-4893699

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:
A single, a video, some advertisement, maybe an interview (I know, wild stuff).

to which fernando replied:

Sorry, I was talking about your signature.
But, yes, yes and maybe yes?

so maybe a single, a video, some ads, and possibly even an interview?

its possible he was just confused and thought the poster was talking about absurd.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:
James wrote:

That is good news....but the timing is off. It should've coincided with the release on streaming platforms.

To their credit, there's issues with vinyl creation and distribution right now. And surprise releases will always force physical releases to be later. Otherwise your single album or whatever will leak early 100% of the time. Way of the future. Way of the future.

dalethirsty wrote:

it sounds like fernando may have also confirmed a release for hard school. it's a weird exchange:

People are welcome to get excited for this, I know many are, and some are people I respect.

But I do not have the patience for vagaries and other nonsense anymore.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

its possible he was just confused and thought the poster was talking about absurd.

Don't think so, he said this afterwards (in bold):

I made my own "Absurd" shirts for my son and I at the Detroit show.

Shirts for Absurb and Hard School would be cool.

We'd really like a physical single with both songs though. Maybe a 7" vinyl single?

Vinyls for sure, physical as well.  Vinyls turn around times are super slow at the moment, but it's in the works. Sorry, this whole proper planning thing is new to me.

Board footer