You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Use Your Illusion 30th Anniversary

Axl S wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I suspect that COVID threw a wrench into the plans. Presumably the original plan was: drop a new album, tour off the back of that for a while, then when it starts to go off the boil, drop the UYI special edition to give the tour another shot in the arm. Now everything's been pushed back by a year or two.

It feels like an album should be coming. Lets not take it as read that it is. Could just be singles rolled out for a long time to accompany legs of a tour.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If they're putting out a vinyl version of Absurd I think there's a real good chance they'll put some effort into a traditional album. Hopefully.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
misterID wrote:

If they're putting out a vinyl version of Absurd I think there's a real good chance they'll put some effort into a traditional album. Hopefully.

My hopes are up because less than a month ago they released a new song. All that said, unless there's a proper announcement (not Nando posting on forums or reddit) I'm still going to be skeptical.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

all i really want is the perfect crime dvd

I want this too....

But it probably doesn't even exist.

What exists is a mountain of footage to create The Perfect Crime.

A year after the tour ended, the band that did this tour is over.

There's no one in the driver's seat.

I don't see any point in the band's history where a manager, Axl, and whoever they hire will actually spend a year or two going through the archive to create this documentary.

Like I mentioned in one of these threads, only way we get this is if some famous director with clout comes in and takes control of the long dormant project similar to what Peter Jackson is doing with The Beatles....

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I suspect that COVID threw a wrench into the plans. Presumably the original plan was: drop a new album, tour off the back of that for a while, then when it starts to go off the boil, drop the UYI special edition to give the tour another shot in the arm. Now everything's been pushed back by a year or two.

See no-one knows this ... but Axl is psychic...covid has been delaying things for gnr since the late 90s

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

What is the thing casual fans would want most from this box set?

James

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

What is the thing casual fans would want most from this box set?

A casual fan won't want it.

What they'll likely buy is a 2 disc set of the albums remastered with a couple bonuses tacked on.

Push that towards casuals and push a box set priced around 200 bucks to your hardcore fans.

Then move on to the next one.....sadly they have very few "next ones" left.

I've said it for years....the small discog will eventually bite them on the ass.

Edit

Whatever they're planning.....better save some of it for TSI.

TSI

Disc 1

The album

Bonus tracks

Down on the Street

Beer and a Cigarette

Disc 2

TSI from the Illusion sessions

"The Punk Cover EP"

Down on the Farm
Ain't It Fun
Black Leather
Attitude
New Rose
I Don't Care About You

I realize this might be needed to pad out a UYI box set. 18

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
James wrote:

Yeah dude. Lies is actually something people would want and they rolled that into the AFD box set.

Re-releasing TSI independently would be amongst the dumbest things they've done.

But I was more or less wondering "what if they actually released CD2 as UYI III".

UYI has brand recognition with the old segment of fans. It would bring in press.

Wouldn't set the world on fire but it's be apart of the "GNR brand".

And I was kinda thinking they could bundle it together with UYI I and II, thus inflating their sales numbers.

In my view they have a couple of plays: calling it UYI III, re-releasing Chinese Democracy as a 2-disc set, or something so outlandish it becomes a meme like Legend of the Red Panda or Joe Biden Likes Sniffing Little Girls.

James

James wrote:

Looking at UYI I and II now.... listening to Locomotive...and thinking more about a 2 disc set.....man....

I don't know what they can really do with it if going beyond a straight up remaster. Not much room for extra songs really.

How about a best of UYI with a disc of demos and live cuts added?

Disc 1

Live and Let Die
Don't Cry
November Rain
The Garden
Garden of Eden
Dead Horse
Civil War
Yesterdays
KOHD
Estranged
YCBM
Don't Cry (alt)

Disc 2

YCBM demo

A few other demos

Live stuff like that NYE performance of LALD, 91 MTV performance of LALD, 92 VMA performance of November Rain, Freddy Mercury tribute performance of KOHD, maybe Dead Flowers from Skin N Bones tour

What a mess for anyone having to compile such a set.

James

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
James wrote:

Yeah dude. Lies is actually something people would want and they rolled that into the AFD box set.

I still can't believe they did that.

I mean....I know why they did it but holy shit....just wiping away one of your four remaining albums like that is mind boggling.

Luckily for them, their shitty management decisions actually help them...but only if they take advantage.

Only a handful of people bought that box set. Nobody else cares.

This gives you the opportunity to do a Lies deluxe edition without anyone complaining about double dipping.

Re-releasing TSI independently would be amongst the dumbest things they've done.

I can think of a ton of dumber things they've done.

As I pointed out, they do have the material for a second disc.

It's unlikely but possible.

It has very little legacy or fanfare.

I'm starting to like this new idea of rolling the second half of Chinese into the UYI 'universe'.

Talk about retconning....

Board footer