You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: Chinese Democracy revisited

exoterica wrote:

I listened to the album for the first time in ages.

In short: "If The World", "There Was A Time", and "Prostitute" are the best songs.

I think there are 5 great songs, 3 songs that could've been good, and some interesting filler material.

And some horrible decisions (The entirety of Catcher, Shackler's intro, making Axl sound like a robot, killing the drums) that strangle the life out of the undercard.

I listened on a relatively hi-fi setup, I'm sure I'd feel differently listening on $10 earpods.

5: Better, If The World, TWAT, Madagascar, Prostitute
3: The Blues, Catcher, Sorry
F: Chinese, Riad

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Not song quality wise, but as an album I think CD is most similar to AFD. I think they both flow badly as an album. AFD the songs are almost too good and too powerful and you feel like you are listening to a GH album.

CD obviously lacks the quality of AFD but the same album problem is there. Feels disjointed and haphazard. The Illusions were the best albums this band put out. A good mix of big and small songs with a commonish theme.

That being said there are lots of good songs on CD. Some could be better, some could do with less production, but overall it is certainly not a bad album.

CD: The demo version is a far superior rocker but I also like all the additions on the finished album. Nothing much to complain about here.

Shackler: Hate it. Least GN'R sounding song ever made.

Better: The demo leak we had about 15 years ago floored me and also impressed many of my friends. What happened? The song is still good but somehow I don't think it's great anymore. The outro though is one of the best on the entire album. Both Axl and Robin shine.

THE BLUES: Once they renamed this it was over. My most anticipated song after I first heard it in the early 00s and now it just feels like a nothing song.

If the World: Very good song, different. Imo the only legit song on this album where everything sounds perfect. No wonder it got picked up by Ridley Scott for a movie.

TWAT: As always the solo and Axl's scream are top top, but I still think the first half is lacking and a mess.

Catcher In The Rye: I actually like this version a lot. Liked it as a demo and like it now. Does still sound "unfinished" but there is a fantastic song in there.

Scraped: One of the few surprises and it's my favorite of those. The solo is short but extremely good. Underrated song.

Riad: Never liked it.

Sorry: Not bad, not great.

IRS: Very good song. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but it does perhaps feel a little forced in the structure?

Madagascar: Like the Blues I had high hopes for this. We waited too long and then were disappointed. Still a good song.

This I Love: Ehhh I see why people love it but I think it's too much cheesy 90s.

Prostitute: Not bad, not great.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think AFD flows perfectly although good point on how it feels like a hits album at this point. The constant focus on AFD during new GNR's existence certainly helped in this regard.

It's similar to Dark Side of the Moon in this aspect....a monster record everyone knows even if it only had a few genuine singles.

I rarely revisit the Chinese Democracy album. It's just not a very good listening experience. The mix/mastering and cut and paste hell makes it jarring and abrasive. I still listen to the Village Sessions though.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James wrote:

I think AFD flows perfectly although good point on how it feels like a hits album at this point. The constant focus on AFD during new GNR's existence certainly helped in this regard.

It's similar to Dark Side of the Moon in this aspect....a monster record everyone knows even if it only had a few genuine singles.

I rarely revisit the Chinese Democracy album. It's just not a very good listening experience. The mix/mastering and cut and paste hell makes it jarring and abrasive. I still listen to the Village Sessions though.

I actually thought about Dark Side and Appetite recently. On song quality they are not so far apart, both are massive records. You hear pure brilliance in song after song. But where Dark Side of the Moon is a perfectly balanced meal with vintage wine in a classy atmosphere, AFD is 12 bottles of Vodka lined up on a table, ready to go. 

To some people that may sound like a great night but to me it's overkill. The equivalent would be an action movie where the guns and explosions are going off constantly. An album like a movie needs more variety. It needs humour and fun. There's no You Ain't the First or Bad Apples on AFD. Throw in a couple of songs like that and exchange You're Crazy with the acoustic version and you got an album rivaling Dark Side of the Moon.

CD is overkill of differents sorts. Of production and of Axl Rose lamenting lost love and "there's nothing I can dos". At least half that album should have been in your face rockers like the demo version of CD and Better. Hell throw in Oh My God in there just to pad the image as a badass rockband. Somewhere along the way Axl forgot that for something to be GN'R it has to be badass. You can have ballads and slow songs but they are side dishes not the main course. After listening to CD you are left with the feeling this is an old and bitter man who's past it, certainly not a comeback album purporting to be Guns N' Roses the most dangerous band in the world. If Axl wanted to succeed he should have milked that image for all it was worth. Instead he went full Elton John feat. Dr. Phil.

Board footer