You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Eagles Farewell Tour

polluxlm wrote:

Eagles is one of the weirdest bands in the world. When I first saw the Big Lebowski and the Dude says "I hate the fucking Eagles" I never quite got what he was on about. They seemed respectable enough to me, with a handful of well known hits. As I got older I started to understand the sentiment. Until Hotel California with Felder and Walsh, the music was always kind of lame. Unadventurous, timid even. There was talent there, but very restrained. 

Glenn Frey is like the Denny's manager who wants to play in a band because it is more profitable, and Don Henley is the equally shallow guy who wants to be a rock star for the money and jet set lifestyle. Both of them strike me as people I would not under any circumstances want to socialize with. I would keep any young daughters far away from Don Henley, that's for sure. That dude literally creeps me out when I see him in interviews. If a body was ever found on his property I would not be the least surprised. There is a very disturbed mind hiding behind those eyes.

When I think about great moments in the Eagles it is Randy Meisner, Don Felder and Joe Walsh that comes to mind, not Frey and Henley.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Eddie wanted to bury the hatchet early on, walked up to Roth backstage to hug him, and Dave told him to fuck off and kept walking.

Eddie and Alex had simply talked too much shit. The damage was irreparable.

Just like with GNR, that reunion should've been so much more than it was.

Only album they could pull together had to come from scrounging through ancient demos.

Sound familiar?  16

It's a miracle they did that. Without Wolfie egging it on, it never even happens.

Yeah, they took too many shots at one another over the years.  Remember the MTV news interview after the failed reunion in 1996?  And Alex and (mostly) Eddie were just ripping on him.  That was brutal if you were DLR.

Guns doesn't seem that bad.  And to be honest, they seem to have gotten over the hurdles (Axl showing up late and the Paul Tobias stuff).    Maybe they'll never be close like they were before.  But they seem cordial and at least can tolerate each other's presecene off stage.

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

They weren't the best of friends but there wasn't any animosity between them throughout the reunion years.

No.  They were low key ripping on one another during the reunion as well.  You had to read between the lines type of stuff.  I was reading some New York Times articles.  And there were quotes if you read them, you could tell the reunion was just for the money and playing the old tunes.

I never implied they were playing together because they enjoyed each other's company. Of course the reunion was for money, also to give Eddie a chance to play with Wolfgang and for DLR a chance to get back in front of big crowds again. They weren't friends (Eddie and Dave, Alex and Dave clearly are friends at this point) but there was no more animosity as there was back in the day. There is a difference between bandmates taking a few shots at one another in the press over frustrations and actual animosity.

In 2013 DLR gave an interview lamenting the fact that he and Eddie weren't writing new music together. In 2015 Eddie gave an interview to Billboard saying that Dave being standoffish was the reason they didn't have a closer relationship, and that they were having creative differences on working on new music. None of the hatred and vitriol of the old days though, which is what I was saying.

Yeah, in 1997 Eddie and Alex mocked Dave pretty heavily on MTV, Dave felt that he had been used to sell the greatest hits and had given Van Halen bad press by announcing in a press release that the brothers were to blame for no reunion. So they took some shots at him. This doesn't mean that Dave hated them or would refuse to hug Eddie a decade later, which is what started this conversation. Alex said way worse shit about Dave in 2004, that he was insane and needed to be on meds. Yet they are now closer than they ever were.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I tried finding the interview/article last night. No dice. Those VH sites need a CD Whispers style archive so it's easy to pluck shit out of the void.

I might try again as even I'm curious what the actual source is now but the problem with Van Halen searches is all the old feuding/drama really clouds the results.

Board footer