You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The General and Monsters

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

This board and the conspiracy theories and negativity is a bit too much. All the songs during the Chinese era suffer from the same issues. We get it.

The opinions posted here aren't really any different than the other forums or social media...

People either like it or hate it and both sides agree the mix is pure shit and rollout of the 7" vinyl beyond embarrassing.

You want to see real negativity check out the Hoffman forum.

I'm also glad we have it. I'd rather have it in below average quality than not getting to hear it while imagining it's some Pink Floyd epic they're sitting on.

Sky Dog wrote:

On a side note…..Monsters is killer after tons of listens

Yeah and I really hope they don't fuck up the quality of this one if/when it gets released.

Monsters is a keeper and could easily enter my regular rotation.

Dani_1455 wrote:

In my opinion The General It is not great but I don't think it's bad either, the production is horrible, the mix is something that I could but there are great parts inside of the song.

There's a good song trying to dig its way out of the mess.

Said it before but I'd love to see a Grade A producer tackle this song. I bet it could be improved immensely even though it does feel incomplete.

T.Axl wrote:

I'm starting to think this way too. This was Axl's real project from 1994 until... I don't know, maybe 2011, when his plans to release "CD Part II" were sabotaged in favor of bringing the original Guns lineup back together.

I think from this point on, Axl has lost his appetite for Chinese food.

I don't even blame him. It was literally a lifetime ago. You can't sustain interest in a project for that long... especially one with so many collosal blunders.

I just wish he had closed the chapter with a real EP/LP release instead of how the second half of the saga has played out.

Sky Dog wrote:

Meh…..Fernando has a plan….

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Someone on mygnr has finally called out the clipping on the bass drum throughout.

Thought I was the only one who heard it.

The appalling mix notwithstanding, this is just so amateurish as to be laughable. Right up there with the CD liner notes debacle for me.

Yes I didn't hear it the few first times when listening on the leak, but I blasted this and it is very noticeable. Shocking production.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

This board and the conspiracy theories and negativity is a bit too much. All the songs during the Chinese era suffer from the same issues. We get it.

The opinions posted here aren't really any different than the other forums or social media...

People either like it or hate it and both sides agree the mix is pure shit and rollout of the 7" vinyl beyond embarrassing.

You want to see real negativity check out the Hoffman forum.

I'm also glad we have it. I'd rather have it in below average quality than not getting to hear it while imagining it's some Pink Floyd epic they're sitting on.

Sky Dog wrote:

On a side note…..Monsters is killer after tons of listens

Yeah and I really hope they don't fuck up the quality of this one if/when it gets released.

Monsters is a keeper and could easily enter my regular rotation.

Dani_1455 wrote:

In my opinion The General It is not great but I don't think it's bad either, the production is horrible, the mix is something that I could but there are great parts inside of the song.

There's a good song trying to dig its way out of the mess.

Said it before but I'd love to see a Grade A producer tackle this song. I bet it could be improved immensely even though it does feel incomplete.

T.Axl wrote:

I'm starting to think this way too. This was Axl's real project from 1994 until... I don't know, maybe 2011, when his plans to release "CD Part II" were sabotaged in favor of bringing the original Guns lineup back together.

I think from this point on, Axl has lost his appetite for Chinese food.

I don't even blame him. It was literally a lifetime ago. You can't sustain interest in a project for that long... especially one with so many collosal blunders.

I just wish he had closed the chapter with a real EP/LP release instead of how the second half of the saga has played out.

Well, if he has lost the interest you have two options:
1- release it with the members that worked on them (Robin, Bucket etc)
2- don't release it and start writtng new music with Slash and Duff.

But if Slash can't improve what Robin-Bucket did, and you've lost interest in that material then don't release it in a worse version than the originals.

I prefer all the demos than the final product (HS, Absurd, Perhaps and only TG we don't have the Robin-Bucket demo)

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Is that Cartman singing …”can anybody tell me”… part? I can’t un-hear it.

James

James wrote:

I was watching/listening to Pink Floyd at Pompeii while getting dinner ready. This came on....

It's too bad they couldn't cook up an epic of that nature when Axl wasn't bringing much lyrics to the table. That song has only a few words yet it doesn't take anything away...feels like a strength, not a weakness.

carlossacanell wrote:

Well, if he has lost the interest you have two options:
1- release it with the members that worked on them (Robin, Bucket etc)
2- don't release it and start writtng new music with Slash and Duff.

But if Slash can't improve what Robin-Bucket did, and you've lost interest in that material then don't release it in a worse version than the originals.

I prefer all the demos than the final product (HS, Absurd, Perhaps and only TG we don't have the Robin-Bucket demo)

The issue with that is that it's not and never was feasible. We were never getting "the second half of Chinese".

The reunion and the eventual drop in ticket sales is what created the environment for us to finally get a few spoonfed to us.

If the reunion doesn't happen, we're not listening to these songs.

It was Slash or bust.... funny in hindsight.

Sky Dog wrote:

Ummagumma is a pretty crazy album….

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Ummagumma is a pretty crazy album….

Too crazy.

They're all really lucky that Waters took over the band and hit his stride quickly.

The few albums where they're splitting songwriting duties are really uneven. You see glimpses of the coming greatness but they needed razor sharp focus for it to blossom.

A good example is Atom Heart Mother. They're trying to do a crazy epic album before they're ready and it shows. Both Waters and Gilmour hate the album now.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I have a theory about the bad mix:
The General was a Brain song and he is featured on it with drums and loops.
The mix has the "feel" of modern hip hop/trippy songs similar to the material he and Melissa have been working on.

My theory is that he was the main influence on the sound for this song, as Axl pointed he still involved anyway, and it was thrown as a B Side (even if such things don't exist anymore) to gather interest and feedback on a loopy sound for GNR.

And maybe this will drive the next endeavors...

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl definitely digs Brain’s stuff. The four songs released all feature him on drums.   If he wasn’t still appreciated, Axl would have recorded over him too.

Board footer