You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: Can interest (in Chinese Democracy) be regained?

Gunslinger wrote:

Not to beat a dead horse...BUT...another year another letdown.  Nothing new.  The only way Axl could shock us now is to actually release Chinese Democracy, not the reverse.  The forums are struggling to hold interest.  Were it not for friendships (like the ones we share here) many of the smaller forums would be long gone.  Hard to talk about what Axl's hair should look like, whether he should be wearing a bandana or not or more speculation of what the "first single" is going to be and keep the (dwindling) fans' interest.  However with nothing new ever coming from the GNR camp what else can we talk about?

My question is what would it take to really spark CD interest with the fanbase again?  Would more promises and supposed release dates do it?  Maybe a single? Would a few more leaks work?  Just looking for everyones thoughts on this.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The ONLY chance this album has of sparking interest again is the album's actual release. No letter from Axl, vague Mysteron statement, AFD tour, leak,etc. is going to keep the sinking ship afloat.

Like you said, all the forums(including the big ones) are in critical condition, and an album release sometime in 08 is the last chance for the survival of the fanbase. A leak wont even save it. Tons of people will log in at sites to get the leak, but thats it. Everyone already knows that leaks happening do not mean the album release is imminent. Its why 06 was such a wasted opportunity for the band. Everyone was on board, and the fanbase was united for the first(and probably last) time since 1991.

Even the fans commonly referred to as "nutswingers" are growing tired of it all and posting less frequently. Same with the "whiners". I have never seen the various communities like this before. Even all the fake insiders gave up, thats how bad it is.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I agree. 2006 was the best year to be a GN'R fan since '91. It easily the most interest from the media in the past decade. I believe (eventually) the album will be released and it will be ultimately successful, but 2006 was such an opportune time and such a wasted shot at redemption, it really depresses me. Going into that tour with the (then) new leaks, the fanbase was in a frenzy. Looking at the forums now and what we've dwindled back down to, it's unbelievable all this started up only about two years ago. I think way too much was put into the hype that Baz's album generated, which was no real hype. And that's not dissing Baz or the album, which I'm realling digging, but outside of hardcore Axl faithful and whatever fanbase Baz still has, that album meant nothing to nobody. A sidenote pic of Axl and Baz in the studio in Rolling Stone isn't the kind of media blitz you'd expect from the return of the mighty W. Axl Rose appearing on brand new studio recordings. I see a lot of people at other sites going on and on about how '07 was such a great year for things like the Angel Down songs and I think that's just fucking absurd. More momentum was built with the May leaks than anything this past November. Bottom line, where do we go now?

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

absolutley

Axl appearing on Bachs album is a little bizarre as is touring with him/having him as a mouthpiece etc...

The guy is not in the same league as Axl and all it serves to do is associate GNR with an era that they transcended back in the day but for some reason are still unfairly lumped in with to some extent - 80's hair rockers.

It continues to amaze me the poor choices he has continually made that have been tantamount to career suicide over the last 15 years.

JonathanvonDoom wrote:

I agree. 2006 was the best year to be a GN'R fan since '91. It easily the most interest from the media in the past decade. I believe (eventually) the album will be released and it will be ultimately successful, but 2006 was such an opportune time and such a wasted shot at redemption, it really depresses me. Going into that tour with the (then) new leaks, the fanbase was in a frenzy. Looking at the forums now and what we've dwindled back down to, it's unbelievable all this started up only about two years ago. I think way too much was put into the hype that Baz's album generated, which was no real hype. And that's not dissing Baz or the album, which I'm realling digging, but outside of hardcore Axl faithful and whatever fanbase Baz still has, that album meant nothing to nobody. A sidenote pic of Axl and Baz in the studio in Rolling Stone isn't the kind of media blitz you'd expect from the return of the mighty W. Axl Rose appearing on brand new studio recordings. I see a lot of people at other sites going on and on about how '07 was such a great year for things like the Angel Down songs and I think that's just fucking absurd. More momentum was built with the May leaks than anything this past November. Bottom line, where do we go now?

In GNRland 2007 was a great year.   Think about the deafening silence of the end of 2002 to May of 06.

I'll agree with anyone that 06 was the time it should have been released.   I think going forward it's gonna be hard to try to keep interest alive but hopefully the forums can hold on for another year and what ever we get throughout the year can keep us going.  That's the one thing about GNR that can't be disputed, some get so fed up and want to just say fuck it but you never know what is going to be around the corner.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

If fever pitch can be attained in may 06 following 4 years of absolutely nothing at all, then it follows that this would again occur next time there is a significant breaktrhough. IE: More leaks of new songs (not remixes) of the same quality as the last songs, or of course, an actual album release.

If anything the fanbase has been on a slow burn, like there is still some activity, theres the baz tracks, a tour of asia and australia in 07. So there has still been some media attention. Yes its cut back from 06 but thats because theres not much new. As soon as something new is delivered...everyone will be back in these forums and in the media like they were in 06.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

russtcb wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:
JonathanvonDoom wrote:

In GNRland 2007 was a great year.   Think about the deafening silence of the end of 2002 to May of 06.

I'll agree with anyone that 06 was the time it should have been released.   I think going forward it's gonna be hard to try to keep interest alive but hopefully the forums can hold on for another year and what ever we get throughout the year can keep us going.  That's the one thing about GNR that can't be disputed, some get so fed up and want to just say fuck it but you never know what is going to be around the corner.

Inside these communities will be easy to get excited. All the band has to do is actually DO something and we'll all be excited again.

As for the outside world, I can't say the same. I think a badass, incredible first single is the one and only way they can create buzz.

Agreed.  The outside world will only know what goes on with GNR or Axl is when there is an article in a music mag, newspaper or on one of the music channel shows.   Buzz will only be created for CD is what you said, a kickass single or the actual release of it.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

No

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think there's been real interest since 2002 to be honest - at least outside of the boards.  First impressions are everything and had they come out and blown everybody away, they could have survived a little better than they have.  They didn't - people were exposed to them through the VMA debacle and that is what post Slash era GnR will always be viewed as by much of the general public.  It isn't interest anymore, it's now morbid curiosity.  It's like watching a train wreck - you know what's coming, you know it's not going to be pretty, but you can't help but peek at it between your fingers as you cover your eyes.  Very few people are genuinely interested in CD musically anymore.  It's all about will it or won't it come out.  Once that question is answered, the interest is over.

Board footer