You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Soundgarden Discussion (King Animal out NOW!)

Axlin16 wrote:

WHOA Saikin... what a show!

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

http://grungereport.net/?p=20959

Link to the Tighter and Tigher live vid from Detroit.

Kim can fucking shred now. Would have liked to have seen more of that on KA.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't get the worship for Kim's playing.  He is very good, but a lot of mindless shred that goes no where.  And with a wah, almost anyone can sound good playing fast, covers the slop.

Lomax wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't get the worship for Kim's playing.  He is very good, but a lot of mindless shred that goes no where.  And with a wah, almost anyone can sound good playing fast, covers the slop.

Yeah totally. But if it sounds good it sounds good. It doesn't need to be meticulously formalized to sound good to cause an emotional reaction in a listener.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I take it you didn't watch the video. That solo is mostly NOT shredding. I was referring to the last 4 seconds of it. Which, if you had watched, was not "mindless shredding that goes no where."

To classify Kim as a player who either shreds or uses wah to cover slop is incredibly ignorant. Especially on a GNR board, as Slash has never been the most meticulous of players live. Especially in the early days of Guns.

Kim is highly understated in most of his playing. The difference between him and others like Slash is ego. Kim doesn't feel the need to make his playing stand out over everyone else, or the need for a solo on every song. He's content to take the backseat and let others shine as well. The last 3 SG albums really showed that.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Good explanation Saikan. Kim's never looked to be a lead guitarist in the classic sense, and he's never really compared himself to anyone. Even back in the 90s he used to say that while he might not be the most technically proficient that he feels he brings something unique to the landscape, which I totally agree with. He basically paints with his guitar. He's creating sonic scenery and using it to complement the other elements of the song. I think  he's brilliant in that sense, and missed him a lot during SG's hiatus.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Went to the show. Was fucking amazing. Didn't post a review because of a family tragedy which happened the same day as the show(which I just posted in The Garden section). I'll post an in depth review later this week.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer