You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Soundgarden Discussion (King Animal out NOW!)

James wrote:

Ben and Matt fucking kill it. Ben does not get enough credit for how incredible he is. If SG take another break he needs to do solo work.

His solo album went from being imminent to no mention at all. I wouldn't be surprised if some ideas from that were used on King Animal. He doesn't play bass on his solo material anyways, which sucks.

Did you ever download that first Wellwater Conspiracy album? It's the only post 96 project until the reunion to feature members of Soundgarden. Was totally ignored by the public but deserved a grammy nomination. Only way to describe it is a lost Beatles album. I still listen to it regularly. Ben is on lead vocals.  Second WWC album has Matt on vocals if I'm not mistaken but Ben bailed from the project before then.

Few of the first WWC songs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpqbQy3BA1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ihr6EVMswo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2aX--QaOw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57hEUvybkmI

The first Hater album is pretty damn good as well. Here's the two best songs on the Hater album, one a cover, one an instrumental.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZsWrc2Hko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBaeNHI3Aeo

misterID wrote:

I'm just not feeling this album. sad

That sucks. Was hoping just every SG fan here was gonna dig this. Hopefully you'll give it a few more listens before tossing it.

At least you like Non State Actor. 9

In a couple weeks after everyone has listened to it we'll do a poll for the favorite song on the album. I checked the official forum a couple days ago and the fave song poll is ALL over the place. There's no clear cut monster track that SG fans seem to agree on, which doesn't surprise me in the least. Its happening here as well. In Jimmy's great review he considers Black Saturday the best song on the album while its By Crooked Steps for me and that's not changing no matter how many times I listen. It should have opened the album.

At this point, I'd like to hear another Audioslave album and I never in a million years EVER thought I'd say that.

As Gomer Pyle would say, "Shame shame shame shame on you!.....

First Audioslave album one of my all time favorite albums but that band was running on fumes at the end.

but what i'd like to see if them changing the formula: this all seems to be driven by Cornells songwriting, but what i'm saying is there is scope for wilder & heavier stuff to be produced under the SG name. Cornell's songwriting is very 'safe' . i think, especially given the great form Matt & Ben are in, to really stretch the formula & take SG into new territory. i'm a little disappointed they weren't more ambitious & that cornell relies so heavily on a particular songwriting style, verse-chorus-verse.
listen, there's nothing wrong w/that, especially when it's mostly flab-free like KA. it's just we've had plenty of SG material like this & the reformation was a change to really blow the doors off and blow minds, but cornells relatively pedestrian songwriting scuppered any chance of that. (& i think his crappy lyrics would actually work better on crazy psychedelic jams).

it's not about monster solo's or testosterone driven rock, it's about going all out & making heavy as fuck psych music that people, men & women, kids & oldies, can get completely off on. can you imagine if they did an Orgone Accumulator or Master of the Universe? give SG that kinda recipe & it would be some kind of perfect. as it is, i'm left underwhelmed by the lack of unapologetic epicness which i think would suit their sound brilliantly.

We have to take into consideration that when recording started for the album it was the first time all four members had recorded together since late 95/early 96. Now that we know they're still capable of making killer material, a second album may go in a much different direction.

I agree with you and Jimmy that we need to see more experimentation in the future. Musically this band can do anything....so let's hear it.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

WWC is amazing. Love that first album. It would be great to see their next album be totally off the wall and experimental. They're obviously back into their groove, now it's time for them to push this thing as far as it can go. They are all amazing musicians. I'd love to see them remove any pretense to what they should sound like and go ape shit.

Bones of Birds is now my favorite song. Probably because I have a daughter and that song sums up my fears perfectly.

James

James wrote:

Looks like releasing an average single from a killer album has backfired as predicted. Chart positions online are not very impressive. Time to release By Crooked Steps.

Itunes Top 100 albums

King Animal #66

Amazon new rock albums

King Animal #14

Amazon mp3 album downloads

King Animal #11

Its charting higher(and lower) depending on the country but I always go by US figures. Cant wait to see the Billboard charts.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

charted at #5 on Billboard, which i think is about what I expected and I think it's strong.

#7 here in NZ, not sure of Aus. They are a pretty big deal down this way.

This album is fucking killer... No filler here

Lomax wrote:

Soundgarden never were and never will be mainstream faire. It doesn't matter where they chart this album will not blow up.
The chance it did have for blowing up was if it hijacked the hipster bandwagon that the likes of Jack White and the Black Keys are riding. They're too metal, it's not gonna happen.
This is an album for the hardcore fans. They probably managed to pull this off because individually, the members of Soundgarden ARE Soundgarden's most hardcore fans.
Each of them loves that band you can hear it when they play and see it in interviews, they wouldn't risk fucking it up with a mainstream sounding album, so we cannot really ask for mainstream type success.
Anyway why would you want it to go mainstream? I have memories of Chris' "Part of me" blaring at college parties a few years back. I don't want that for rowing or eyelids mouth. Those are songs I want to enjoy alone or with other people who relate to the music as I do. I don't want them as the soundtrack to a night on the tiles or my morning trip to work.
They're too fucking good for that.

James

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

charted at #5 on Billboard, which i think is about what I expected and I think it's strong.

Yeah that's much better than I was expecting. Considering the single used to launch the album, I thought it might be around 10-15. The heavy promo certainly paid off. A new single right now could keep it in the top 20 for several weeks.

Soundgarden never were and never will be mainstream faire.

While they never desired to be mainstream, they were one of THE hottest bands in late 91-mid 92 and in the summer of 1994, Black Hole Sun becoming massive made them the most popular rock band for a few months. They were also the last grunge band to be on top of the charts.

This is an album for the hardcore fans. They probably managed to pull this off because individually, the members of Soundgarden ARE Soundgarden's most hardcore fans.

Agree 10000%.  It wasn't meant to put them on top of the charts. If it did, half the songs would have been similar to Live to Rise.

Funny thing though.....on Soundgarden's main forum quite a few people are calling it a "sellout album" and they did it only for money. 14 Fucking idiots. If it was a sellout album meant for mainstream success, it would be loaded with light rock/pop songs meant to blow up mainstream not just on the charts but in clubs as well. An album full of killer deep cuts is not selling out. Its the exact opposite.

Anyway why would you want it to go mainstream?

I don't want it to go mainstream but I do want it to sell enough as an added incentive to keep recording and avoid going the nostalgia route. Their "window" is about 5 years and I want that to be prolific and not gearing their final run towards playing BHS and other hits while constantly touring.

You sound a bit like me. When it comes to SG, I enjoy listening to it alone for the full experience.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

I was going to write a review... But, I've been living on it. I love it. I almost don't really want to dissect it. This album is amazing. I may anyway...

But until then... Some quick thoughts:

In the grand scheme of things, it's probably not even close to their best record... But, taking all things into consideration, it was waaaay better than it has any fucking right to be.

Soundgarden took what could have been an opportunity to cash in on the nostalgia reunion bullshit and mail one in with some easily digestible radio fodder, and nobody would have complained. Most people would have even been stoked.

Had they done that, it probably still would have shit all over that last Stone Temple Pilots record. You want an example of some cash-grab nostalgia/ trying to be relevant in today's musical climate, zero integrity move? Look no further than THAT fucking smelly turd. Save one or (maybe 2) kinda decent tracks, that album, IMHO, single-handedly destroyed any fucking respect I ever had for them. They could have just toured... Thank You was a nice sendoff with a pretty kick ass new song. 17

Not that I ever expected something that awful from the SG record. But, things like the self titled STP album tend to pop in my mind when 90's bands start talking about going into the studio after lengthy hiatuses.

Comparatively, King Animal is a MONSTER... It's well written, executed and deep as a well. While it doesn't necessarily break new ground.. It certainly isn't a bunch of half baked retreads, either. They didn't take any dramatic artistic turns, but they didn't plagiarize themselves poorly either...  After 5 years of listening to Death Magnetic.. I know the difference.  16

They are Soundgarden. Not a bunch of money grubbing geezers trying to be Soundgarden again. It's pretty goddamn refreshing and awesome. They put on a fucking clinic for how this shit is supposed to be done.

They picked up where they left off with Down On The Upside, while incorporating  the perspective and confidence they've each individually picked up over the last 15 years.

Lets hope they keep going.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I still feel the same, this is my least favorite SG album, but man, the songs I do like have gotten better! smile

"Non State Actor," "A Thousand Days Before" and "Blood On The Valley Floor." Plus, Been Away Too Long has really grown on me.

James

James wrote:
Furbush wrote:

In the grand scheme of things, it's probably not even close to their best record... But, taking all things into consideration, it was waaaay better than it has any fucking right to be.

Soundgarden took what could have been an opportunity to cash in on the nostalgia reunion bullshit and mail one in with some easily digestible radio fodder, and nobody would have complained. Most people would have even been stoked.

Comparatively, King Animal is a MONSTER... It's well written, executed and deep as a well. While it doesn't necessarily break new ground.. It certainly isn't a bunch of half baked retreads, either. They didn't take any dramatic artistic turns, but they didn't plagiarize themselves poorly either...  After 5 years of listening to Death Magnetic.. I know the difference.  16

They are Soundgarden. Not a bunch of money grubbing geezers trying to be Soundgarden again. It's pretty goddamn refreshing and awesome. They put on a fucking clinic for how this shit is supposed to be done.

They picked up where they left off with Down On The Upside, while incorporating  the perspective and confidence they've each individually picked up over the last 15 years.

Lets hope they keep going.

Great post and I agree completely. I agree to an extent with ID that it probably shouldn't be compared to their past albums, but how is that possible, especially from a lyrical standpoint? Cornell's views on death, relationships,etc. were wise beyond his years when he was in his 20's/30's. Now that he's approaching 50, he realizes he's closer to the end of the road than the beginning, and its coming through in his writing. While not his best lyrics and he's touched on the themes before, lyrics like....

Time is my friend,
Till it ain't and runs out

And that is all that I have
Till it's gone

Is Cornell being more realistic and you can sense a different feeling from it. Simple and to the point without the more philosophical and abstract POV with Superunknown.

As far as women go, he's covered it many times obviously in SG and Audioslave but this....

I'm addicted to feeling, stealing love isn't stealing
Can't you see that I understand your mind?
I'm a walking believer, I'm a ghost and a healer
I'm the shape of the hole inside your heart

Not looking for a brighter side
Crooked steps will take me higher
I don't care if you want to cry

Is him sounding fed up with the games that come with relationships because he's figured out what she(or women in general) are all about.

You're right that no new ground is broken on this album, but they've clearly matured.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

FINALLY!

The Rock has come BACK to Se-at-tle.

I finally got to listen to this thing this weekend, and umm... here's the review.

SOUNDGARDEN: King Animal

1. Been Away For Too Long
--- At first I hated this, but after awhile this has really grown on me as catchy, because it fairly easily became a personal soundtrack for me and what i've been going through. Decent opening track, dig it more now.

2. Non-State Actor
--- This has single written all over imo. I disagree this album has no singles. This one was immediately catchy to me, and for some reason the chorus reminded me alot of The Cult's recent single "Lucifer". They sound VERY similar. I love both. Nothing's changed.

3. By Crooked Steps
--- Lofton's right, Cornell's voice and lyrics here immediately grabbed me. Sound is a tad too modern for me. I think the vibe would've been benefitted by more of a 90's grunge appeal. By mid-song Cornell loses me, i'm listening to Thayil. Slow mid-section kicks major ass, too bad it's not in the forefront. Chorus needs work. If it's intentionally supposed to be in-accessible, they succeed greatly.

4. A Thousand Days Before
--- Immediately fell in love with this one from the intro. Reminds me of late 90's Pearl Jam. Grabs me from beginning to end. Classic grunge-vibe. Love it. Best song on the album so far for me.

5. Blood On The Valley Floor
--- Fucking heavy intro, right on! Vintage SG tone. Never really has a hook, but doesn't need it. It's just guitar-driven for that. But never once am I board. Haunting-feel. Love it, but any complaints I have is tone-wise it's a bit too upbeat for me. Needs a tad more Alice In Chains-tone to drive the point home imo. Other than that "Bloody" awesome if you ask me.

6. Bones of Birds
--- When I first plugged this CD into the radio, this was the first song that instantly grabbed me. This is absolutely the Soundgarden and the period they came from I remember. This is was a few of the early tracks should've sounded liked imo. I was absolutely FLOORED when I first heard this. EASILY the best song on the album. 9 x 1,000,000

7. Taree
--- God this song hit me like a ton of bricks. Immediately resonated with me. Reminds me of Tripod-era AIC honestly. Thayil's guitar is classic. Cornell is a fucking GOD in this. Holy shit, I said Bones was the best, but I might like this better. Everything about it is killer!

8. Attrition
--- Vedder would proud, lol. Sounds like a fucking off in G moment he'd throw on Vitalogy or some shit. Not really awful, but it never really grabs me. First B-side on the album for me.

9. Black Saturday
--- Ironically I listened to this for the first time on a Saturday. I honestly think this is another potential single. Very catchy to me. Lyrically it's fucking STELLAR. Tad too upbeat, would be benefitted for being darker. Has a bit of a Stones vibe to me for some strange reason. LOVE the breakdown section, sounds like the entrance to Hell. Another killer tune.

10. Halfway There
--- What kinda pussy shit is this? What the fuck? I mean it's not bad, but what the fuck? Did some sort of Cornell solo shit sneak on to this album? It doesn't even had a melody. Is he just doing this to piss me off? It worked. It's actually not bad but doesn't feel like a Soundgarden song AT ALL. 'Huh' moment for me.

11. Worse Dreams
--- Love the intro. The guitar once again tells the story. The stuff around the chorus is the entertaining part. SO much is going on in this song. VERY rich piece. It'll probably take more listens for me to really feel this all, but I love what I hear so far.

12. Eyelid's Mouth
--- Apparently this is the THX sounder from hell, lol. That's what I thought. Great guitar intro. What I want to fucking know is who let the goddamn water run out?!?! Lmao, nice later album entertainer. Little experimental, but never boring. Thayil's shining moment on the album. He's the fucking rock star here, he absolutely KILLS it. Too bad there's a tad too much overproduction over his AMAZING guitar solo, worthy of comparison's to any of the great ones. WOW. But that's just a nit pick. Stellar moment for Thayil.

13. Rowing
--- WOW, what a lock out! Might be one of the best songs on the album. Lyrically awesome. Cornell nails it, VERY memorable. Harmonies sell it. Very haunting. Great lock out to the album.

WOW, what an album! My heart was warmed (or cooled?) completely to hear these guys have a full return 15 years later. If you tack on Black Rain & Live To Rise, it just adds to it being an explosive return. I actually disagree in some ways, I found it to be a VERY accessible album, but then again in some ways it's Soundgarden's "Chinese Democracy". It's accessible, yes, but it's a rich experience. It's not exactly got tons of radio singles on it. But I think that's a shame. I do think the album has radio singles. There's several songs on it that could easily be on radio and pushed as hits. Or should be, I dunno. I don't see why not. The album is that good.

After hearing Alice In Chains roaring return with Black Gives Way To Blue in 2009, in the back of my mind I had hoped Soundgarden would give me something similar emotionally and sonically when King Animal was annouced.

They did.

I was so happy. It took me alot of years to dig this band, but when I did I respected and loved what they were, are, and will be.

**** stars - 4/5 -- Very Good

I'll leave you with this... from one of my favorite songs on the album -- "Black Saturday". Ironically I listened to this on a Saturday for the first time. It really smacked me in the face, in all the right ways.

Promise something
Kill me right Away, if I start to get slow
And don't remember, how to seperate, the worm from the apple
Don't wait 'til tomorrow, kill me right away, if I start to listen
To the voices, telling all the mouths, what they need to swallow
Do that for me, it's the least that you can do, don't be afraid
I would do the same for you, burn out any memory
Of me ever breathing, until I am born again

Fucking whoa. Amen Chris. Never forget, and I won't either.

Board footer