You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: On this day in 1988...

TheMole wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Good album for it`s time but overrated as shit Nighrain, Brownstone, SCOM and RQ are songs I would call " great", Jungle, Easy and PC are catchy, the rest ranges from mediocre to completely forgettable.

10 You've listed 4 songs you deem 'great' and 3 songs that you feel are 'catchy', that's 7 on a twelve song album. I think you definitely highlighted the best of them, but for the life of me can't fathom how that would in any way constitute an overrated album. 7 out of 12 is an incredible ratio, especially if you consider that there's maybe only one song on there that's truly less-than-mediocre (you're crazy), IMHO.

Anyway... I voted RQ (seem tejas' explanation for the why...). But Nightrain, Jungle, Brownstone, PC and of course SCOM were all contenders for me.

Your favorite song from Appetite for Destruction

Welcome to the Jungle 14%
It's So Easy 14%
Nightrain 26%
Out Ta Get Me 0%
Mr. Brownstone 6%
Paradise City 6%
My Michelle 0%
Think About You 0%
Sweet Child O Mine 17%
You're Crazy 0%
Anything Goes 0%
Rocket Queen 17%
Total votes: 35
Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Good album for it`s time but overrated as shit Nighrain, Brownstone, SCOM and RQ are songs I would call " great", Jungle, Easy and PC are catchy, the rest ranges from mediocre to completely forgettable.

10 You've listed 4 songs you deem 'great' and 3 songs that you feel are 'catchy', that's 7 on a twelve song album. I think you definitely highlighted the best of them, but for the life of me can't fathom how that would in any way constitute an overrated album. 7 out of 12 is an incredible ratio, especially if you consider that there's maybe only one song on there that's truly less-than-mediocre (you're crazy), IMHO.

Anyway... I voted RQ (seem tejas' explanation for the why...). But Nightrain, Jungle, Brownstone, PC and of course SCOM were all contenders for me.

AFD is overrated because big chunk of fanbase thinks it`s the greatest debut Rock album ever recorded. It is n`t, not even close.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Ragnar wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

AFD is overrated because big chunk of fanbase thinks it`s the greatest debut Rock album ever recorded. It is n`t, not even close.

Which bands fans don't 'overrate' their favourite bands albums?

I'm curious which debut rock albums are unquestionably and clearly superior btw? Bearing in mind you said AFD isn't even close.

PC or Nightrain for me. I think PC just edges it, when that whistle blows and that riff kicks in there's nothing like it.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

I fucked up.

I was going to click Michelle but clicked Brownstone instead. They're samesies in my ears, but the former had no love.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It's not "overrated as shit". There's a reason its still considered one of the greatest albums ever made 30 years later.....because it is. During the years I never listened to it, I still ranked it number one. Its right up there with Rumors, Dark Side of the Moon, and Superunknown.

As far as debut albums go, its definitely number one. I'd also like a list of debut albums considered better.

Ragnar, are you just burnt out on it in general? THis happened to me in the 90s and during most of the CD saga I wouldn't even listen to it. Would skip AFD songs when watching CD bootlegs a lot.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

It's the best hard rock album ever in my opinion. There is a more cohesive vision with this album than stuff like Zeppelin IV. It's just 5 guys living on the edge and playing/singing their balls off. The lyrics feel legit because they were real experiences of the band. Even the lesser songs like Anything Goes and You're Crazy are catchy as hell. Think About You is one of the most underrated songs in the entire GN'R catalogue.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I only knew one person who has ever said something like this and he was a HUGE Nirvana/Cobain fan.

I have to ask if appetite doesn't do it for you 1) what does? 2) why are you here?

Hard choice Loften, I also chose it's so easy in part bc of the unreleased video and that amazing intro that makes you want to smash something.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The Nightrain live blows the album version away. Never thought it was on the level of better songs on the album. It sounds like a song where they were learning how to write a song. Very Aerosmith and AC/DC feel.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

The Nightrain live blows the album version away.

The interesting thing about that is most GNR songs are actually arranged better live IMO.

The studio jungle misses Axl's "Do you know where you are?" parts to me these days, and I miss the longer intro to Brownstone that Matt and Slash used to jam too.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

It's a tossup between Nightrain and Jungle for me. In the past it would have been Nightrain hands down, but I think  Jungle slightly edges it out now.

Board footer