You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

And that’s 25k you can use to buy your family a vacation, putting money in the economy, or 25k you can use on advertising for your business, putting money in the economy, or 25k you can use to hire a part time employee, putting money back in the economy.

Unless you stuff cash in the mattress or use that money to wipe your ass, even if it goes into the bank, it’s money that’s going to help someone somewhere.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

And that’s 25k you can use to buy your family a vacation, putting money in the economy, or 25k you can use on advertising for your business, putting money in the economy, or 25k you can use to hire a part time employee, putting money back in the economy.

Unless you stuff cash in the mattress or use that money to wipe your ass, even if it goes into the bank, it’s money that’s going to help someone somewhere.

But isn't it 25K less that our government has?  Whats going to happen to our National Debt & value of our dollar?

You can say that 25k goes back into the economy but it doesn't work like that. Mitch is only spend a small portion of that. Same with millionaires, give them $100k back & they sit on it, they don't hire a landscaper, an assistant, and startup a small business.

I think it's all just to put Democrats behind the 8 ball in future years. As now Dems will have less money to spend from. Not entirely a bad thing, but we'll probably be looking at cutbacks & downsizing of federal employees. Things like the EPA, VA, etc. Downsizing of the military will become a debate & another voting point in the election cycle. Anyway going forward there's just a lowered revenue stream for the government, yet Democrats can't run on a 'raise taxes' platform & GOP knows it. So we're stuck.

Reckless spending, that's all its become.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If you didn’t care about the debt when Obama was running it up, you don't get to complain about it now.  I know I posted this in one of these threads, but liberals love to cry about climate change and how we can't ruin things for future generations while having no issue with running up the debt for future generations.  You don't get to cry about the debt just because you liked where the money was going before and don't like where it's going now.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

If you didn’t care about the debt when Obama was running it up, you don't get to complain about it now.  I know I posted this in one of these threads, but liberals love to cry about climate change and how we can't ruin things for future generations while having no issue with running up the debt for future generations.  You don't get to cry about the debt just because you liked where the money was going before and don't like where it's going now.

I'll admit Obama ran up the debt, I agree with you. He did have a heckuva hole that the previous Republican administration drove us into, a near depression. So, now that the dust settled & we're in the clear, what are Republicans doing?  Slashing taxes & possibly driving us into more debt. Its easy to speak about the great economy when the goings good. Whats not easy is preparing for a downturn from happening again (betcha it does before 2020).

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Possibly is the point.  It's more fear-mongering.  If (and I understand this isn't a given) the cuts translate into more jobs and/or higher salaries, the government could break even or possibly come out ahead.  Now I am not saying that will happen, but it certainly could.  All of this panicking for the sake of panicking is getting ridiculous.  It's the boy that cried wolf at this point...even if they had a point, half of the country isn't even listening to what they say.  At least there's a chance of coming out ahead in this case, where there's no chance with the democratic spending.

Here's what I think will happen.  In the short term, jobs will increase and salaries will as well (whether that's base salaries or increased bonuses), but eventually the trickle down will stop trickling down.  That eventually will probably be sooner rather than later. 

Here's what we know: companies are in business to make money.  As soon as they stop making money, they close.  When they close, the little guy is hurt far more than everybody else.  The more skilled you are, the less likely you are to be significantly hurt by changes in the economy.  The key to being okay is to be an owner of a successful business.  The next best thing is being skilled at something.  If you're at the bottom just getting by and not making an effort to be skilled, you're taking all control out of your hands and relying on everyone else to keep you afloat.  That's a dangerous place to be.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

And If you did care about the debt while Obama was president but you don’t care anymore then you’re just as bad as liberals.

The conservatives have always been the hooray for me and fuck you crowd. My goodness th deficit was a fun little talking point for 8 years though wasn’t it?

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

More of the bullshit "it's okay when my team does it" - when are you going to figure it out?  Everybody is the hooray for me and fuck you crowd.  The sooner you figure that out, the sooner you'll start to understand why this system of politics isn't working any more.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

More of the bullshit "it's okay when my team does it" - when are you going to figure it out?  Everybody is the hooray for me and fuck you crowd.  The sooner you figure that out, the sooner you'll start to understand why this system of politics isn't working any more.

What system? This is the way it’s been for all of my adult life. I have no recollection of a time where almost everything that’s been going on hadn’t been totally fuked. I’ve always assumed this is the only way it can be.

The first election i was old enough to be aware of and understand was Gore v. Bush. I remember a people so divided that it tools months to be sure who won.

I remember that being a culmination of people being so upset about what Bill did in the White House abusing his power with women. When i learned that the man beating the war drum against Clinton and the Democrats was an even more sleazy man in Newt Gingrich...Gingrich, a man who traded wives in to the pot like he was playing ‘go-fish.’

In my life...almost everything political from the national level has been a joke. From 9/11 and the stupid response by bush and a never ending Iraq war to the economy crashing and bailing out the assholes that fucked us over.

The only glimmer of a good idea that i could ever get behind was the healthcare overhaul. Otherwise, everything else has been utter shit for the better part of 20 years.

So i ask again...what system else is there?

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Republicans know how to win.

Someone at work (this is Canada mind you) was complaining that President Obama couldn't pass a lot of shit and it was executive orders. I was like well that's not the Republicans fault. The exception I'll give is the Supreme Court nominee that was bullshit.

The Democrats should have owned Obama care and for the most part they ran from it until POTUS Trump got in.

They need to also not give up on their candidates.

I get some of you might hate Hillary Clinton. But, the Democrats should embrace her still and say, fuck you, we are running her again. The Comey opening of the FBI inquiry on my birthday October 28th was bullshit, the Russian meddling blah blah blah, and you know what she won the fucking popular vote. More people voted for her blah blah blah, we're running her.

Cause if it was a Republican candidate you damn well bet your ass they would run them again. You know Richard Nixon comes to mind.

They should have run Gore again (and didn't), they should get behind Clinton. Flawed candidate yeah I'd say in some ways. She should have picked Bernie as her running mate, but that's the past.

In 2020, they need to have a name brand candidate.

To not cower away. Like what happened to leaders like Robert Francis Kennedy in the Democratic Party?

They need to win the mid terms in 2018, if they have a shit turn out, then I'll say 4 more of POTUS Trump.

Republicans rile up their base, and they get out to vote.

That's like a lot of Conservative bases in other countries.

If you stay at home, you get what you deserve.

And I get it that, voting has been made difficult in some States and places, but, you still got to go out and vote, regardless of who you like party wise blah blah blah.

Also, decorum needs to be brought back. I lean to the left, but, I don't hate my fellow Conservatives. I dig Senator McCain huge fan, and Richard Nixon had some decent policies. Douglas MacArthur is another person I adore and he was a Republican.

The tax cut thing? Hmm. I think a lot of American businesses should stop betting against the American worker. That since the 80s the decline in US manufacturing is shit. I feel that national security is jeopardized when you out source your production to make an insane amount of profit. I feel paying a decent wage is a good thing. I feel that when you charge the same amount for a product produced now overseas with inferior quality that it is bullshit. Especially when you're getting human rights abuse slave labor.

Like China ain't the Wests friend. Having a huge amount of production there is in my opinion a bad thing.

I'll give President Trump credit for pointing it out, I never heard any Democrat ever do it. Regardless, if he is a hypocrite and friends with hypocrites.

It is possible to make a profit, and produce goods domestically, and pay a decent wage. But, what gets in the ways is greed.

Anyhow, I love your country. This stems from Great Grandparents being born there, and you know America just being great. Sure it has some problems, but who doesn't? No one is perfect.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I watched that and wondered why and how people would respond. Guess we’ll have to wait and see if it was just an off day or if he’s stroking out.

Will be funny to see if this becomes a story on Maddow after they ignored Hillary collapsing every other day or Pelosi changing conversations mid discussion.

Yeah she had to be carried up a flight of stairs and it was, "Nothing to see here. Move along. She's strong as a bull"...

I don't know why dems are so happy and think this was a brilliant strategic move. It seems hollow and condescending. On top of the fact you can't count on that seat staying democrat, especially with a pissed off constituency. Why not let him go through the ethics investigation? The accusations that were apparently what tipped the scale was one woman saying he touched her waist and squeezed during a picture... What the fuck does that even mean? The other he went for a kiss that she dodged... Okay, but Franken yelling it was his right as a star... Sorry, despite the "new rule" that I am obligated to believe every claim by a woman no matter what, I don't believe that shit. It smells like someone who wants to be part of a movement... See how easy it is to throw out an allegation.

And Republicans don't care. This means dick. You gave up the most important voices in your party for NOTHING. Have fun with having the moral high ground democrats!!

It really is amazing, isn't it?

They want everyone to pretend everything is rape...until it happens to one of their own. Now they have to take their own medicine.

THis type of nonsense is what led to Trump....and its what's gonna lead to his re-election.

Don't give a damn what the polls say. The silent majority will simply weigh in once again when it counts.

Today was a gut punch.... Dems don't even bring a knife to a gunfight, they bring a Hallmark card expressing their feelings. On twitter, it's either disenchanted anger or some bullshit about being okay with losing as long as you do the right thing #MeToo

Well, back here in reality, healthcare is being attacked, the environment is being destroyed, climate change research is being undermined, the tax code is being savaged for wealth supremacists, there's a reckless, vapid idiot in office who seems to be okay with nuclear war... But yeah, you keep that moral high ground. Republicans circle the wagons, while Democrats fight to see who gets to shoot themselves in the foot.

THis bizarre social experiment was a failure. They need to just admit it and move on.

Like you said, there's real issues that are overdue in being dealt with.

I'm also sick of every movement Trump makes is deemed breaking news. They've lowered the bar to the extent that breaking news doesn't mean anything. If Trump taking a drink of water is breaking news, god only knows what would happen if he took a drink of hot chocolate.

You should read the actual policy. Anyone suffering from gender dysphoria (the real definition of a transgender) is banned.

Yeah they're just gonna let the pretenders in. They know as soon as this stops being trendy, they'll go back to being men and women.

This 40 genders nonsense cant last forever.

That's my beef with all this, they're just pep rally's out there, and people roar no matter what is being said. I bet 80% of those idiots cheering probably follow Ivanka on Twitter. It's a mess, they don't know what's being said it's just like caveman "Republican Good, Democrat Bad".

POlitics is entertainment now. Its like cheering on a sports team. Everyone on social media is on a personal soap box giving their expert opinions in the form of memes.

I preferred it when it was much more niche.

Board footer