You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: Facebook Announcement

RaZor wrote:

I'm thinking deluxe AFD too, mostly because of the nighttrain membership merch.  I'm hoping it comes with a couple of new tracks.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah I kinda have a problem with that but then again....why promote him? He had a chance to come back, declined, so the juggernaut focuses on the three who are running the show.

Its not like they are going to remove him from future liner notes on any releases.

Had a chance to come back for chump change.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Don't get your hopes up. Probably announcing a full tour with The Who or some shit.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah I kinda have a problem with that but then again....why promote him? He had a chance to come back, declined, so the juggernaut focuses on the three who are running the show.

Its not like they are going to remove him from future liner notes on any releases.

The point is that it was offered and it was declined. Its not like he's spending his time in a back alley in downton Compton begging for change.

Izzy has made more on royalties this year than the salaries of the current touring members combined.

I'm not fond of that low ball offer either but when you take Izzy's history into consideration, was it really surprising? I don't really like how some fans consider Izzy a total flake but there is fire under that smoke. He bailed on the biggest tour in the band's history with practically no warning. He wouldn't show up for promo shoots and videos.

GNR are on the biggest tour they've ever done. No videos or promo shoots yet(well, one) but do you think they were willing to risk it all just to include him?

Izzy is older, more mature, etc. and might be able to pull it off easily. We and they have no idea if that's really possible. Check out his solo career and his lack of touring.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The point is that it was offered and it was declined. Its not like he's spending his time in a back alley in downton Compton begging for change.

Izzy has made more on royalties this year than the salaries of the current touring members combined.

I'm not fond of that low ball offer either but when you take Izzy's history into consideration, was it really surprising? I don't really like how some fans consider Izzy a total flake but there is fire under that smoke. He bailed on the biggest tour in the band's history with practically no warning. He wouldn't show up for promo shoots and videos.

GNR are on the biggest tour they've ever done. No videos or promo shoots yet(well, one) but do you think they were willing to risk it all just to include him?

Izzy is older, more mature, etc. and might be able to pull it off easily. We and they have no idea if that's really possible. Check out his solo career and his lack of touring.

Not like it has mattered for this tour. Everyone is silent with the media. They're making hundreds of millions on this tour and many of the songs would not exist without him. They could have given him a more reasonable offer. In light of the fact he quit in the middle of UYI Tour, I think it's fair to hold it against him...but only to an extent. The offer they gave him is more along the lines of a hired hand like Fortus.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Not like it has mattered for this tour. Everyone is silent with the media. They're making hundreds of millions on this tour and many of the songs would not exist without him. They could have given him a more reasonable offer. In light of the fact he quit in the middle of UYI Tour, I think it's fair to hold it against him...but only to an extent. The offer they gave him is more along the lines of a hired hand like Fortus.

Cant argue against that. Those are valid points of course.

I would like to know if any of Izzy's past comments may have come back to bite him in the ass. His whole "everyone knows its not GNR" bit back in the early years of the CD saga probably didn't win him any brownie points. On the other hand, Adler made similar statements. Then take into account he did join them a bit for a couple CD tours.

he also didn't handle "twittergate" very well. Singing covers that are clearly directed at Axl, Slash, and Duff while ignoring journalists requesting interviews wasn't a wise move. Then he does a song with the other guy being left out of the reunion.

We also don't know exactly what Izzy wanted or expected.

Ifr his only purpose was to show up onstage to do Dust N Bones and play guitar on a couple songs then a lowball offer should've been expected. You dont need or deserve a big slice of pie for that. If he was wanting a full time role in the band/tour and they had no intention of going in that direction, there's nothing he could've done either way. Wasn't gonna happen.

It also boils down to one simple thing....

he NEVER should've left the partnership to begin with. Had he not done that, he would've held several cards for any reunion scenario. Instead, literally the only card he holds is if GNR want to do an AFD tour for the anniversary with the AFD lineup. They absolutely cannot do that or market it as an AFD reunion without him. Yeah they could have 4 AFD members with Fortus and casual crowds wouldn't know the difference but the media would point this out on a regular basis.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Overall I doubt Izzy has regrets about quitting. He avoided a lot of lawsuits and whatnot by giving up his share of the partnership. Lost out on some merchandise revenue in the last 25 years.

But I think he's at peace. He made damn good money in those early years and 25 extra years of royalties would keep him in a very good lifestyle. Fans want the reunion but it will never be what it was, so maybe it's better that we don't get what we want.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Do you know how much they offered him ?

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Izzy was paid obscene amounts of money in 2006 to show up when he felt like it and to play a handful of tunes per show. He values his personal freedom highly, so I doubt he wants to be a part of a big tour on a regular basis. Part of the story could therefore be Izzy asking a huge payday for a light workload, knowing full well they might pass him up. It's a way for them to stop asking and to shut up about it. If Izzy wants to be left alone, mission accomplished.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

Perhaps the amount of money offered to Izzy for NITL was low because they still would have needed to pay Fortus as an insurance policy on Izzy

Board footer