You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: Duff Interview

Re-Release it yo!

Come on Uncle Axl, we all love you, and we're proud, and America loves you [Minus the lack of Made in the USA tour shirts, cheap fucks, Petty and Springsteen do it].

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Axl is such a great jokester. The way he has been conducting his career since 2001 is a proof of his penchant for jokes.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

heh, @Ragnar you are so damn right. he's making so many good jokes! too bad nobody really gets them during the last 10 years or so...

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's possible the culmination to the tour is a NITL DVD/CD release just in time to stuff your stocking.

The reasonable thing to do would be a CD 10th with new songs, re-recordings, whatever. It could be the icebreaker between Axl and record company. But it'll come and pass without a peep.

Maybe a tweet. Maybe.

Axl and the record company reunion is truly a not in this lifetime affair.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

no, I don't buy this anymore. everytime Axl or GNR make a move, the community views it as a sign of a release. but nothing ever materialised, ever. except for that Appetite for Democracy thing, which wasn't really heavily promoted and kind of got out like "hey guys we're doing a neverending tour, here's a release okay? okay, we're going on."
so no, until there's a substantial proof of anything getting really out, I don't even remotely believe it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Same here.

It has to be in the system(label/stores) for me to ever believe in any kind of release.

I'd really like to know the situation between GNR(Axl) and the label. They have been in limbo for eons. There was no reason on earth for the label to not release some sort of GH/Best of last year...especially for the holidays.

The reunion was the biggest music story of 2016 and there were a grand total of ZERO releases celebrating it. It's crazy. The whole planet fell in love with them again and the label doesn't want something in stores to capitalize from it?

The industry is definitely dying.....

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I'd guess it's a Cold War.

Axl being a combination of the aging actress who is only still relevant in their head and simultaneously persona non grata with the handful of people he so brazenly burned his bridges with.

And dark as it is to say, Axl is probably a better commodity dead than alive at this point.

Releasing a GH/VBO could potentially release Guns from their contract. It gives Axl even more leverage.

Another compilation doesn't really make sense either. You can buy ala carte on iTunes or just pick up the Greatest Hits which probably kicks back more favorably to the record company.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:

Same here.

It has to be in the system(label/stores) for me to ever believe in any kind of release.

I'd really like to know the situation between GNR(Axl) and the label. They have been in limbo for eons. There was no reason on earth for the label to not release some sort of GH/Best of last year...especially for the holidays.

The reunion was the biggest music story of 2016 and there were a grand total of ZERO releases celebrating it. It's crazy. The whole planet fell in love with them again and the label doesn't want something in stores to capitalize from it?

The industry is definitely dying.....

I think they're playing it perfectly tbh. While I might want to hear new material right now, there are plenty of compelling reasons against releasing anything yet.

1) Consider the weight of expectation on them. Appetite for Destruction is one of the best debut albums of all time. Use Your Illusion I & II are defining albums of the early 90s. Chinese Democracy is one of the most talked-about releases of all time. They have to live up to that. With their solo projects, there's less pressure so they can move quickly. Slash can chuck together some riffs, have Myles rattle out some vocals rhyming "starlight" with "right" and slap your bog-standard rock production sound on it. Guns N' Roses... can't. They have to live up to those past releases, especially with this, their comeback album. Like Star Wars Episode VII: you only get one shot at this, so you need to make it count.

2) Bureaucracy. Related to the above, there's a mess of bureaucracy at the record company that has to be resolved before a massive release like the GN'R comeback record. Publicity campaigns need to be put together, schedules need to be put in place so that they aren't clashing with any other big releases, etc etc. Bumblefoot's attempts to prove you can quickly throw together a single release in the age of the internet are a false equivalence; he can be nimble with his solo stuff because it's solo stuff from the second replacement guitarist in GN'R. GN'R itself can't do that. On top of that, there's all the contractual stuff – they have, IIRC, one release to go before they're out of contract and free. The record company will not want that release to be a live album or a greatest-hits-with-one-new-song. Axl probably doesn't want it to be GN'R's comeback album. That creates an impasse.

3) Timing. Why bother releasing new material when the tour is still selling well? In this day and age, new albums and songs function more as promo pushes for the real moneyspinner – touring. At best, we can expect a live release from the tour (easy to chuck together, easy money), followed by a best-of-with-new-tracks (my money's on Atlas Shrugged, maybe some reworkings of the Chinese Democracy stuff with Slash and Duff). Only then is there any point putting together a new album. Complicating matters is the fact that Axl may be off doing his AXL/DC thing, too.

On the plus side, there is cause for optimism. We know, per MSL, that Axl has an album's worth of new material that he considered ready to release before the Slash/Duff reunion. When it comes to reworking tracks to accommodate new band members, he moves pretty quickly – it didn't take long for Bumblefoot to lay down his guitar tracks once he joined the band. So I'd wager that there's already a dozen or so tracks that have been reworked with Slash and Duff already – some of which have vocal material that could even date back as far as the late 90s, so no worries about Axl's vocal qualities on them. We know, per Fortus, that the band's been jamming material in rehearsal. We know that Slash and Duff have piles of unused Velvet Revolver material from the Corey Taylor sessions. I suspect that when they do come to put an album together, they'll surprise us with how quickly they move.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

The last thing I am worried about in a studio release is Axl's vocals.  Ok, maybe not the last thing, but they will be spot on.  He can do a song a week and rest his voice in-between to bring the rasp as needed.  I think Mickey is a result of him cruising through parts of the live set to save himself.  He seemed to bring it most of the time with AC/DC, so it's not like he can't do it, but it's very demanding on his voice and he "had" to bring it in AC/DC where he was proving himself more than he does in GnR.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

TBH I think the "worries" over Axl's live vocals are overstated by paranoid fans who overanalyse everything. And yes, when he's doing stuff in-studio there's plenty of time to allow his voice to recover between tracks. But there are still people who keep saying "OMG if they leave it another five years Axl's voice will be completely gone and the window to record a new studio album is shrinking."

Bitch, please. They have unused vocal tracks dating back to 1999, Axl's voice is the last thing we should be worried about.

Board footer