You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 454 

Re: Timeline of the recording sessions for the new leaks

misterID wrote:

What year did Marco get the songs for orchestral work? Thyme is listed at around 1:00 minute, which is strange considering he put strings to it, so it could have just been a working instrumental demo. 'Me and my Elvis' has got to be Soul Monster (originally 'Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul') which I think was also Leave Me Alone. These are probably all working titles of songs we know about. The General is supposedly a Brain song, post Josh, like Scraped, Shacklers and Sorry. Richard said he fleshed out Better with Robin from a little instrumental tape after he joined, so 02-04 must have been a surge of creativity and recording.

Thyme
Seven
Leave Me Alone
The General
Were these 2002?

sp1at
 Rep: 29 

sp1at wrote:

Legendary Italian film composer Marco Beltrami ("Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines", "Resident Evil", "Scream", "Blade 2") recently spoke to IGN.com about his work on the much-anticipated new GUNS N' ROSES album, "Chinese Democracy".
"That was sort of just work for hire," Beltrami explained. "I guess they'd heard some of my orchestral music of mine. I met with Axl [Rose] and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. A couple of them I did more than orchestrating, I actually wrote some melodies and stuff. It was a fun project. I really enjoyed it. The music was eclectic and at the time that I was doing it there were no lyrics on the songs that I was working on. People ask me about the album and I really have no idea about the release. I thought it was coming out last September. I'm the wrong person to ask about that.
When asked if he was ever in the studio with the members of GUNS N' ROSES or if the band came to him with the finished tracks, Beltrami said, "No, they had finished tracks. On one song I actually wrote a guitar part, but they pretty much had the band tracks down and then I added orchestral stuff on top of it. . . [I worked on] A song called 'Seven', which is the one that I did the most work on, I actually did some writing on. There was one called 'Thyme', one called 'The General', one called 'Leave Me Alone'."
Regarding he experience of working with a rock band and whether he has any future plans to work with other groups, Beltrami said, "I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was different than doing film music, but it was a lot of fun. I would probably do it again. It would probably be more fun at some point, to do it as a more collaborative affair, starting more from scratch, working and writing stuff [together]. But it was definitely fun."

From July 2003

misterID
 Rep: 454 

misterID wrote:
sp1at wrote:

Legendary Italian film composer Marco Beltrami ("Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines", "Resident Evil", "Scream", "Blade 2") recently spoke to IGN.com about his work on the much-anticipated new GUNS N' ROSES album, "Chinese Democracy".
"That was sort of just work for hire," Beltrami explained. "I guess they'd heard some of my orchestral music of mine. I met with Axl [Rose] and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. A couple of them I did more than orchestrating, I actually wrote some melodies and stuff. It was a fun project. I really enjoyed it. The music was eclectic and at the time that I was doing it there were no lyrics on the songs that I was working on. People ask me about the album and I really have no idea about the release. I thought it was coming out last September. I'm the wrong person to ask about that.
When asked if he was ever in the studio with the members of GUNS N' ROSES or if the band came to him with the finished tracks, Beltrami said, "No, they had finished tracks. On one song I actually wrote a guitar part, but they pretty much had the band tracks down and then I added orchestral stuff on top of it. . . [I worked on] A song called 'Seven', which is the one that I did the most work on, I actually did some writing on. There was one called 'Thyme', one called 'The General', one called 'Leave Me Alone'."
Regarding he experience of working with a rock band and whether he has any future plans to work with other groups, Beltrami said, "I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was different than doing film music, but it was a lot of fun. I would probably do it again. It would probably be more fun at some point, to do it as a more collaborative affair, starting more from scratch, working and writing stuff [together]. But it was definitely fun."

From July 2003

Thanks! At some point he did some additional work on other songs according to the CD album credits.

sp1at

sp1at wrote:

October 2002 for marco

sp1at

sp1at wrote:

Of Soul Monster

"I think it's our most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date. Which having said that I'm sure when it's heard others may disagree but we felt it was a Christmas card of unadulterated venom so to speak. I felt a lot better afterward." - Axl

sp1at

sp1at wrote:

And Seven was possibly undeveloped, so a newer song

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Voodoochild wrote:

^ Thanks sp1at. I remember those Brain quotes about rerecording Freese's drums. Seems like at that point, there was about 30 songs more or less ready to the final touches and mixing, with vocals and lyrics (or at least, placeholders like the ending of The Blues, which seems like Axl was always in doubt of what to sing).

misterID wrote:

Richard said he fleshed out Better with Robin from a little instrumental tape after he joined, so 02-04 must have been a surge of creativity and recording.

Indeed. But then again, the album credits Paul Tobias in Better. Not sure if he was still recording with the band after 2001.

Board footer