You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 456 

Re: Timeline of the recording sessions for the new leaks

misterID wrote:

What year did Marco get the songs for orchestral work? Thyme is listed at around 1:00 minute, which is strange considering he put strings to it, so it could have just been a working instrumental demo. 'Me and my Elvis' has got to be Soul Monster (originally 'Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul') which I think was also Leave Me Alone. These are probably all working titles of songs we know about. The General is supposedly a Brain song, post Josh, like Scraped, Shacklers and Sorry. Richard said he fleshed out Better with Robin from a little instrumental tape after he joined, so 02-04 must have been a surge of creativity and recording.

Thyme
Seven
Leave Me Alone
The General
Were these 2002?

sp1at
 Rep: 34 

Re: Timeline of the recording sessions for the new leaks

sp1at wrote:

Legendary Italian film composer Marco Beltrami ("Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines", "Resident Evil", "Scream", "Blade 2") recently spoke to IGN.com about his work on the much-anticipated new GUNS N' ROSES album, "Chinese Democracy".
"That was sort of just work for hire," Beltrami explained. "I guess they'd heard some of my orchestral music of mine. I met with Axl [Rose] and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. A couple of them I did more than orchestrating, I actually wrote some melodies and stuff. It was a fun project. I really enjoyed it. The music was eclectic and at the time that I was doing it there were no lyrics on the songs that I was working on. People ask me about the album and I really have no idea about the release. I thought it was coming out last September. I'm the wrong person to ask about that.
When asked if he was ever in the studio with the members of GUNS N' ROSES or if the band came to him with the finished tracks, Beltrami said, "No, they had finished tracks. On one song I actually wrote a guitar part, but they pretty much had the band tracks down and then I added orchestral stuff on top of it. . . [I worked on] A song called 'Seven', which is the one that I did the most work on, I actually did some writing on. There was one called 'Thyme', one called 'The General', one called 'Leave Me Alone'."
Regarding he experience of working with a rock band and whether he has any future plans to work with other groups, Beltrami said, "I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was different than doing film music, but it was a lot of fun. I would probably do it again. It would probably be more fun at some point, to do it as a more collaborative affair, starting more from scratch, working and writing stuff [together]. But it was definitely fun."

From July 2003

misterID
 Rep: 456 

Re: Timeline of the recording sessions for the new leaks

misterID wrote:
sp1at wrote:

Legendary Italian film composer Marco Beltrami ("Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines", "Resident Evil", "Scream", "Blade 2") recently spoke to IGN.com about his work on the much-anticipated new GUNS N' ROSES album, "Chinese Democracy".
"That was sort of just work for hire," Beltrami explained. "I guess they'd heard some of my orchestral music of mine. I met with Axl [Rose] and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. A couple of them I did more than orchestrating, I actually wrote some melodies and stuff. It was a fun project. I really enjoyed it. The music was eclectic and at the time that I was doing it there were no lyrics on the songs that I was working on. People ask me about the album and I really have no idea about the release. I thought it was coming out last September. I'm the wrong person to ask about that.
When asked if he was ever in the studio with the members of GUNS N' ROSES or if the band came to him with the finished tracks, Beltrami said, "No, they had finished tracks. On one song I actually wrote a guitar part, but they pretty much had the band tracks down and then I added orchestral stuff on top of it. . . [I worked on] A song called 'Seven', which is the one that I did the most work on, I actually did some writing on. There was one called 'Thyme', one called 'The General', one called 'Leave Me Alone'."
Regarding he experience of working with a rock band and whether he has any future plans to work with other groups, Beltrami said, "I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was different than doing film music, but it was a lot of fun. I would probably do it again. It would probably be more fun at some point, to do it as a more collaborative affair, starting more from scratch, working and writing stuff [together]. But it was definitely fun."

From July 2003

Thanks! At some point he did some additional work on other songs according to the CD album credits.

sp1at
 Rep: 34 

Re: Timeline of the recording sessions for the new leaks

sp1at wrote:

October 2002 for marco

sp1at
 Rep: 34 

Re: Timeline of the recording sessions for the new leaks

sp1at wrote:

Of Soul Monster

"I think it's our most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date. Which having said that I'm sure when it's heard others may disagree but we felt it was a Christmas card of unadulterated venom so to speak. I felt a lot better afterward." - Axl

sp1at
 Rep: 34 

Re: Timeline of the recording sessions for the new leaks

sp1at wrote:

And Seven was possibly undeveloped, so a newer song

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Re: Timeline of the recording sessions for the new leaks

Voodoochild wrote:

^ Thanks sp1at. I remember those Brain quotes about rerecording Freese's drums. Seems like at that point, there was about 30 songs more or less ready to the final touches and mixing, with vocals and lyrics (or at least, placeholders like the ending of The Blues, which seems like Axl was always in doubt of what to sing).

misterID wrote:

Richard said he fleshed out Better with Robin from a little instrumental tape after he joined, so 02-04 must have been a surge of creativity and recording.

Indeed. But then again, the album credits Paul Tobias in Better. Not sure if he was still recording with the band after 2001.

apex-twin
 Rep: 199 

Re: Timeline of the recording sessions for the new leaks

apex-twin wrote:

Looking at the dates, a few things come to mind.


Late March, 2000. Josh Freese had just left Guns because he felt the album was going nowhere and had no finish line in sight.

Axl had started to record lead vocals after Robin left the previous August, but new mixes were still inbound. In Dec '99, an instrumental mix of Oklahoma was played to a reporter. A week or two after Josh left, mix #10 was done, apparently with vocals.

Me & My Elvis, D Tune and Curly Shuffle also got new mixes.


Days after, Catcher, Prostitute, IRS, Perhaps, State of Grace and Quicksong were newly mixed. All Beavan tracks; the bits and pieces album, built from midnight jams with Paul Huge and friends.

Axl would've, almost certainly, played these mixes for Roy Thomas Baker. This "additional production" might've also, effectively, pushed Josh out.



On 07/14, Tonto (mix #3). RTB-era, maybe an older sketch.

Around August. Bob Ezrin heard these mixes (and then some). He thought Axl's painted over the songs too many times. No kidding. Prostitute had 23 mixes, Atlas, 25, Catcher, 30...

Ezrin moved the band from Rumbo to Village. The aforementioned tracks were then left alone until, at least, early November.


Brain's drums are set up at the attic of the studio, once a Masonic temple.

Between September and October, new Bucket and Brain songs came in. Shackler, Real Doll.com, Sorry. Billionaire (mix#2) may also be from this batch.

Devious Bastard, Dub Suplex and Dummy already had 5-8 mixes by October, so they might've already been on Beavan's B-list.


November 5th, CD (& Maddy); the first Brain version. Axl wanted the drums to have Brain's feel, over Josh's notes, while sounding like Dave Grohl. He may have played this mix to Tom Zutaut and they agreed it didn't come out as Teen Spirit.


November 7th, new mixes galore. If the World, Riad, Silk Worms, As It Began, Circus Maximus, Eye on You and Moustache.

Yet, all "new" songs? Beavan is credited for recording and editing both If the World and Riad, with "initial production" and arrangements, respectively.

Axl has insisted there was a concept of two albums in the Beavan sessions, with the second one more electronic. Were some CD2 songs now pushed up as alternatives after Ezrin's quip?


The next day, Nov 8th, PRL was mixed, without Thyme or guitars. Axl may have had a wild idea to fuse two separately named sketches. Nothing was also mixed. Zodiac 13 is on its fourth mix, still instrumental.

Hardschool got new vocals, on its 12th mix. It's likely a track from the Beavan album.


Dec '00 - Jan, '01. HOB & RIR3. Much rehearsal for big shows. This band would have some awesome material to preview. They go with... Oh My God, CD, Maddy, The Blues - and from the Nov 7th batch, Riad and Silkworms. Should've really gone with If the World.

No Bucket & Brain songs at all.

Bucket left the band around this time, in case anyone missed it.


In February, Axl calls Tom Zutaut and complains about lack of progress. He plays... these mixes, quite possibly.

Zutaut has a sojourn with Bucket. They hit off with the idea of a chicken coop. At the Village. But why not, the drums are already at the attic.

The chicken coop sessions may have yielded bits for $3.00 Pyramid and Inside Out. Titles seem apt for songs written in a chicken coop, watching porn.

The date on those songs, April 3rd, places them neatly between Zoot's arrival and Bucket's illness, first reported in early May. Guns also had a summer tour coming and Axl scolded Bucket about the porn. Might've made him sick. The dates were rescheduled into December. 

Also, Tommy recorded some demos. Yay.


Instead of touring that summer, a whole lot of Josh's drums got re-recorded. Axl also took Zoot to see Yoda.

Bucket left the band around this time, in case anyone missed it.

Then came the dog-poop. In the chicken coop. The Village Studios had to love Guns, those rascals.


In early November, Goldstein cancelled the rescheduled tour. He apparently forgot to tell Axl about it in the first place. Just days later, new takes on Prom Violence and $3.00 Pyramid came up.

Two Vegas shows were booked for the New Years. Small compensation on Axl's part, since the band had grown eager to play live.


Dec '01 - Jan, '02. The Joint. Much rehearsal for club shows. This band would have some awesome material to preview. They go with... Oh My God, CD, Maddy, The Blues and Silkworms.

No Bucket & Brain songs at all.

Not even Moustache instead of Silkworms.

Oh, well.

Re: Timeline of the recording sessions for the new leaks

AtariLegend wrote:
Voodoochild wrote:

Indeed. But then again, the album credits Paul Tobias in Better. Not sure if he was still recording with the band after 2001.

I believe (and could be wrong) that Axl suggested he was still involved at some point after this.

However Bumblefoot (2006 or 7) I think said in the old rov chat room, he'd never met Tobias.

James
 Rep: 625 

Re: Timeline of the recording sessions for the new leaks

James wrote:

Nice timeline there and with hindsight it is very interesting that they kept those same songs in rotation during the 00-02 shows, the notable exception being Oklahoma's removal from their alt set list.

One other thing...

When a song gets dropped(OMG and silkworms), nothing replaced them even though we now know they had good material to work with.

My only takeaway from that is the project is already in trouble, bucket clearly realized it, and this also helps explain the coming fiasco in 2002 that led to the 03-06 silent period.

I'd love to know what Moby heard before bailing. I know it was instrumentals but how much.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB