You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

Mitch, no offense, you're in no position to tell people what not to watch... You guys need to concentrate on righting your heads once Trump is out of office.

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

The worst places are Democratic districts run by democrats. I mean, it's incompetence. New York is awful. And California is one of THE worst places for voter suppression, especially against Republicans. It's not a one way street.

Where’s your proof of this?

How about looking into it? Christ, California dems invented ballot harvesting and then started prosecuting anyone who attempted to replicate it for republicans.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Mitch, no offense, you're in no position to tell people what not to watch... You guys need to concentrate on righting your heads once Trump is out of office.

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

The worst places are Democratic districts run by democrats. I mean, it's incompetence. New York is awful. And California is one of THE worst places for voter suppression, especially against Republicans. It's not a one way street.

How about looking into it? Christ, California dems invented ballot harvesting and then started prosecuting anyone who attempted to replicate it for republicans.

I’m not interested In going down a rabbit hole of conspiracy theories. If there’s a legitimate source you know of...I’d be glad to see it.

Stop watching cable news....just stop. It gets so much clearer when you don’t.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

mitchejw wrote:

I’m not interested In going down a rabbit hole of conspiracy theories. If there’s a legitimate source you know of...I’d be glad to see it.

You're not the portrait of clear, rational thinking, bud. Whatever stuff you're reading/watching you need to back away from it.

What conspiracy theory? They literally created ballot harvesting and then went after republicans for doing it. It's not difficult to look up. New York is a mess, even AOC was bitching about it.

https://www.politico.com/states/califor … es-1325367

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

You're not the portrait of clear, rational thinking, bud. Whatever stuff you're reading/watching you need to back away from it.

What conspiracy theory? They literally created ballot harvesting and then went after republicans for doing it. It's not difficult to look up. New York is a mess, even AOC was bitching about it.

https://www.politico.com/states/califor … es-1325367

Thank you... so appreciated that read...

I’m for making voting easier...for everyone...and voter ID doesn’t impress me.

I don’t have a problem making voting easier.

In the 19th century most political discussions took place in a tavern. Even voting did...

If we can have voting stations in gun shops and churches...we can have them at 7/11 or your nearest McDonalds...

Either way trump republicans in California will never make up this deficit.

Even with voter suppression tactics in Texas Texas isn’t a clinched state.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

We've talked about early voting and what it means a lot. Nate Silver has a good stats look at it.

EDIT: Sorry, this was more gigantic than I thought it would be.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

When you say he IS our culture...can you elaborate?

I agree that he is the worst our culture has to offer...like a Kardhashian...

I want to understand better what you mean by our culture. You mean a failure? A bullshitter? A tax cheat?

There was a noticeable shift in American culture in 2015 that has avalanched into what we are today.

EVERYTHING is viewed through a Trump lense. You can visit someone (or vice versa) and the conversation will quickly somehow make its way to Trump. You can go to a diner, a store, the park, etc and you'll hear others mention Trump. You can turn on the TV....Trump. You can turn on the radio....Trump.

You can pick a random website. As long as it's a forum or allows comments, regardless of the topic whether it's space, football, or asking if you fry onions with your chicken liver, the conversation will quickly get steered towards Trump.

He isn't just a part of our culture like a Kardashian, LeBron, Lady Gaga, etc. He is the dominant factor in every aspect of our culture.

You cannot escape him.

None of this is normal. No presidency has ever been like this. One thing I find funny about it is how the blame is placed solely on the doorstep of his supporters...or Trump himself.

If all the people and the media outlets who claim to hate him would stop talking about him or promoting him, we'd rarely hear about him. It might even drop down to a level approaching the coverage of past presidents.

Unfortunately that's not going to happen. There's too much money to be made for the media in Trump World and he also provides a free all you can eat outrage buffet.

I'm in the minority of people who can't stand this shit. Up until recently due to the election, I had went years without watching news. It isn't news anymore.

I can't stand Biden but held my nose and voted for him just in the chance this reality show gets cancelled.

I don't think Trump is going to lose and like ID pointed out, even if he did lose.... we're probably going to have to keep hearing about him continuously because he is like crack cocaine running through the veins of this country.

I've always wondered how his presidency would've been had he been allowed a normal environment to work in.

It was a circus from jump street.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

On the chat about tech and data, here's a take from a guy in tech (me):

Don't trust Chinese products. That means avoid Huawei/Xiaomi phones, don't use TikTok etc. Also don't use that FaceApp thing - run by a Russian company.

Do sites and apps from Western companies do a lot of shit with your data that you probably wouldn't like if you looked into it? - Yes. But, the regulations on what can be done with your data in the US and especially in the EU are way tougher than elsewhere in the world. They don't go far enough though. You're still being harvested and that data is being used to sell access to your eyes and mind to advertisers, academic researchers and even governments from all over the world.

If you want to get a sense of what Facebook do with your data read Mindfuck by Christopher Wylie. Great book, fascinating on the data science front which is covered in a really accessible manner and on the electioneering front. (tidbit: he was part of a company that was testing the phrases "Drain the swamp" and "Build the wall" in 2014. Their official client was the Cruz campaign, but Donald was an off the book private client). You folk who are totally skeptical on any Trump campaign shenanigans in 2016 involving dark money or Russians - you probably won't like parts of it but it's a firsthand account from someone who actually saw this stuff. Even if you read those parts and think it's all horseshit the rest is still interesting.

We all say advertising doesn't work on us - but if ads didn't demonstrably work companies wouldn't keep paying for them. Fact is they do, and when it goes beyond ads and becomes paid for awareness/disinformation campaigns that don't even run as ads but are run from posting manually in Facebook Groups, WhatsApp group chats, message boards etc. it becomes a lot harder to realise when you are being worked.

On an election related front - did you all see the thing about how the Trump campaign didn't organise buses back from a rally to the car park for his supporters. Many were left stranded out in the cold and had to go to hospital. Obviously not DT's fault, he wouldn't deal with that shit personally, but total shitshow from whoever does event management for his campaign.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I saw this on Reddit.

I laughed...

hzq0h2tn7sv51.jpg

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James wrote:

I saw this on Reddit.

I laughed...

https://i.redd.it/hzq0h2tn7sv51.jpg

Almost perfect. Just needs an antifa bitch labeled as the same as my grandfather at Normandy.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Also on all that Hunter Biden stuff. I haven't seen any of those pictures and videos yet and based on what may be in them I really don't know want to see them! I also haven't seen any reputable reporting on them yet. So, not saying they're fake but also staying very skeptical.

Especially with how good deepfakes and AI generated photos have gotten.

Checkout the new web show from the South Park guys, they use standard open source deep fake tech that people can run at home on their gaming PCs that cost $1000. The results whilst not perfect are impressive.

Then you have the way more impressive ability to fake faces in still photographs

Have a go on guessing which faces are real on the link in that tweet. I keep getting it wrong all the time.

I am not saying that Hunter Biden stuff is fake - because frankly I don't know. I'm just keeping an open mind because it easily could be. And the text message screenshots... anyone can fake those, that's hardly proof. Until somewhere reputable verifies this story I'll be skeptical.

Irregardless of all that, with the advances in technology and AI generated imagery, I worry about what things will be like in regards to politics in 10 years time.

Board footer