You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:

The thing that may save Biden and his Dems if they stick to it will be his handling of the pandemic. By the mid-terrms, which are still 18 months away, Co-vid should be in the rear view mirror. This is the area his poll numbers are the best.

That being said...I think he has other major problems from the public perception standpoint. I still contend that the average voter doesn't know shit about shit and doesn't care to know. I also contend that those that claim to be the most informed are mostly informed with sources of some sort of bias. The perception to me is 6 months in, nothing of real substance has been accomplished there has been much a-do about nothing regarding the 'bi-partisan' nature of the infrastructure talks. Whatever bullshit that's been accomplished to this point (bi-partisan or not) has had little or no effect on the average person.

Personally, I feel like he's been a president to this point who stepped into the batters box and is just hoping and praying for a walk. He doesn't (or hasn't to this point) even wanted to take a real swing.

As far as the mid-terms, I feel like the Dems should be less worried about the Senate than the house. Due to the luck of the draw, I see it being quite reasonable that they extend their majorities to 51 or 52 especially if Ron Johnson doesn't run again in Wisconsin. I can tell you from experience that Wisconsinites don't like this abrasive style he's taken on...and his constant spreading of misinformation has made him seem a lot more like Trump who lost Wisconsin. If the dems can pick a bland, older white guy to run for that spot in Wisconsin, I think they pick it up.

Here's where it gets a bit more complicated...an analysis of the house races in 2020 shows that an astounding number of them were decided by less than 1%. Still more, an even more impressive number were decided by 1-3%.

Biden is shaping up to be a one term pres. His poll rating is at a record low

His record low would still be a Trump high and everyone was extremely confident he could easily beat Biden. The calmness and rather blaze 6 months since Biden has take office is exactly what I needed and I think what this country needed. Will it be enough in the mid-terms in 18 months? I doubt it.

They've also fucked up with the critical race theory situation.

The real problem with critical race theory is that for every one person that is willing to truly grasp what it means and at least attempt to grasp it, you have 5 people who are motivated to speak out against it without every really knowing what it is or it's all about. You just had a group of people who ate up Trump's misinformation about everything...this same group of people think America has never done any wrong, can do no wrong and will never do any wrong.

In short, it costs votes. As really any new idea does...especially one that is seen as critical of this country. Critical race theory is increasing enthusiasm and engagement from detractors and opposers than it adds to the Democratic base. At least in the short term.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Why would this be the stake in the heart? Your boy Desantis is overseeing a shit storm in Florida and everyone is anointing him the new king of the Republican party.

See.... this is exactly what I'm talking about.

You're ignoring the Covid sins of Cuomo....who Dems were anointing as the new King by the way....yet attacking Desantis.

For starters.... Cuomo's situation is worse. He was doing this shit while writing and releasing a book about how amazing he was during the crisis....and the media lapped it up.

The excuse now is, "Cuomo had no easy decisions".

Why isn't that excuse used for Desantis or someone else? Is it over partisan hackery or because Cuomo is only responsible for killing old people?

Pick one.

The real problem with critical race theory is that for every one person that is willing to truly grasp what it means and at least attempt to grasp it, you have 5 people who are motivated to speak out against it without every really knowing what it is or it's all about.

I see this a lot on Reddit, the old....

All the liberals understand it and it's a good thing. It's everyone else that's too stupid to comprehend it.

They're gonna have to issue new talking points because this no longer works anymore. It became a losing issue for Dems the moment little kids and a handful of teachers risked being canceled by admitting this has infiltrated the elementary level.

The gender quackery is getting bad too....

Some of these schools are now telling kids to keep secrets from their parents. 

Remember when the world was normal and you were supposed to tell your parents everything? That was wrong....now secrets are good.

People talk about the right focusing too much on the culture wars yet will give a pass to shit like this.

Biden poll numbers.....

So you're telling me low poll numbers are a good thing now? You do remember that Trump lost with those numbers.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

The midterms were going to be an uphill battle, and this is most likely the stake in the heart.

Why would this be the stake in the heart? Your boy Desantis is overseeing a shit storm in Florida and everyone is anointing him the new king of the Republican party.

My boy?

Mitch, this is your problem, I'm liberal on a lot of issues and have voted democrat. Whenever someone opposes some progressive talking point you agree with, you instantly jump out with conservative! Trumper! FOX news! And whatever insult you want to throw out. Democrats are losing liberals, not woke progressives, but tried and true liberals, because of this social justice bullshit. That should concern you. Critical race theory is a scam. People are making a shitload of money off it. It's also racist. Many black liberals reject it. As for Desantis, I can see how the dems and the media propped up Cuomo and tried to destroy Desantis. They were wrong. That's not a Republican/Democrat thing.

People are looking back at progressive talking head tweets from last year and it's uniformly anti vax, and were predicting Trump's rush to get vaccines out was going to kill people. You can't make this up.

James

James wrote:

I still contend that the average voter doesn't know shit about shit and doesn't care to know.

I agree..... people no longer understand exactly what it is they support when voting for their favorite politicians. Now that everything is so hyperpartisan, they have to double down on the support even when shown the reality because they can't vote for the opposing team.

This is what helped usher in all this extremist crap. Well...that and social engineering through various platforms.

. I also contend that those that claim to be the most informed are mostly informed with sources of some sort of bias

There's a bias slant on everything now....and that's by design. Even doing what I do...get your news from outlets on both sides... doesn't really change this.

Hell....the so called "fact checkers" aren't even neutral!

A huge problem is our major news outlets are not really news.....they are propaganda and entertainment platforms.

Now they're trying to fuck up science like they have politics....and intertwine the two.

Science is partisan now.

Dems are now the party of science and people say, "why don't those who disagree with us believe in science?"

This is dystopic in itself.... people who believe women have penises ranting about others being "anti-science".

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

The midterms were going to be an uphill battle, and this is most likely the stake in the heart.

People are looking back at progressive talking head tweets from last year and it's uniformly anti vax, and were predicting Trump's rush to get vaccines out was going to kill people. You can't make this up.

Yeah it's crazy.

Had Trump won the election, it would be the left bitching about vaccines and wanting everything wide open.

I'm also getting sick of the constant bitching about the right not getting the vaccine.

In most of these states, it's minorities that are refusing to get vaccinated. They don't bring this up because it goes against their narrative they've spent months crafting.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

In case you guys forgot, Mitch is the guy who came here saying when he blew a tire and a stare trooper pulled over to help, he was worried the cop would shoot his infant son. After the cop changed his tire, Mitch literally said the police have never done anything for him. (Why a 30 year old man needed help changing a tire…)

If you’re expecting to engage with someone who has bothered to read anything other than the headlines of far left media outlets tailored to his algorithm, you’re only kidding yourself.

This guy said he didn’t know if he could protect his family if they were being murdered, as shooting someone attacking his wife gives him any pause.

Point being you’re not engaging with someone capable of expressing an opinion that remotely resonates with your average Joe.

Guys who think cops will shoot their infant or hesitate to protect their family don’t have the mental makeup that is relatable to anyone but far left Twitter where white men flog themselves for shit their ancestors did 300 years ago.

Someone who tells us we deserve Covid for voting for Trump isn’t someone you’re going to have any meaningful discussion with.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

My boy?

Mitch, this is your problem, I'm liberal on a lot of issues and have voted democrat. Whenever someone opposes some progressive talking point you agree with, you instantly jump out with conservative! Trumper! FOX news! And whatever insult you want to throw out. Democrats are losing liberals, not woke progressives, but tried and true liberals, because of this social justice bullshit. That should concern you. Critical race theory is a scam. People are making a shitload of money off it. It's also racist. Many black liberals reject it. As for Desantis, I can see how the dems and the media propped up Cuomo and tried to destroy Desantis. They were wrong. That's not a Republican/Democrat thing.

Isn't he your governor? That's what I mean by 'your boy.'

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

double post

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

See.... this is exactly what I'm talking about.

You're ignoring the Covid sins of Cuomo....who Dems were anointing as the new King by the way....yet attacking Desantis.

For starters.... Cuomo's situation is worse. He was doing this shit while writing and releasing a book about how amazing he was during the crisis....and the media lapped it up.

The excuse now is, "Cuomo had no easy decisions".

Why isn't that excuse used for Desantis or someone else? Is it over partisan hackery or because Cuomo is only responsible for killing old people?

Pick one.

I have from the beginning of all this have tried to give governors and states with huge cities and huge population centers the benefit of the doubt. That includes DeSantis. My problem with him and with most Republican governors is that they straddled this stupid fence of.....'we know nothing' or 'there's no use in trying anything' or criticizing vaccines while quietly implementing the policies and getting the vaccines. I've always been interested in Ohio's Republican govenrors of late...DeWine probably took the hardest stance on the pandemic and even he had to water things down and placate to a moronic base of Trump sycophants. I've said it before and I'll say it again...if Kasich had received the nomination he likely would have had a serious shot at my vote.

The Republican governors of places like South Dakota or Idaho, who gave no fucks about the situation, don't get a pass.

Back to the original point....it seems like you're more than willing to criticize Cuomo but not nearly as much DeSantis. Riddle me that. Cuomo is dead in the water nationally. DeSantis is not.

I see this a lot on Reddit, the old....

All the liberals understand it and it's a good thing. It's everyone else that's too stupid to comprehend it.

They're gonna have to issue new talking points because this no longer works anymore. It became a losing issue for Dems the moment little kids and a handful of teachers risked being canceled by admitting this has infiltrated the elementary level.

That's no what I'm saying...I'm saying there is a significant group of voters in our population who refuse to even consider it or base their understanding on a few Tucker Carlson talking points and outright reject it.

The gender quackery is getting bad too....

Some of these schools are now telling kids to keep secrets from their parents. 

Remember when the world was normal and you were supposed to tell your parents everything? That was wrong....now secrets are good.

People talk about the right focusing too much on the culture wars yet will give a pass to shit like this.

This has to be the extreme minority of situations...what school would want to take on that liability?

Biden poll numbers.....

So you're telling me low poll numbers are a good thing now? You do remember that Trump lost with those numbers.

Trump's highest polling numbers came in the first months of his term. He never got there again. If he had, he'd still be presdient.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Yeah it's crazy.

Had Trump won the election, it would be the left bitching about vaccines and wanting everything wide open.

I'm also getting sick of the constant bitching about the right not getting the vaccine.

In most of these states, it's minorities that are refusing to get vaccinated. They don't bring this up because it goes against their narrative they've spent months crafting.

The stat I keep seeing is about 20% of Republicans refuse to get the shot while about 6% of Democrats refuse...nationally. It's not that hard to believe is it?

Board footer