You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

How are the reactions to the "quarantine camps" in Australia? I've been seeing REALLY diverging opinions from Australia's on Twitter.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I've been hestitant to wade myself into this debate, but I'll ask once: Why was there such a big deal on this Rittenhouse thing?  Is it just on racial lines/issues?

Or why should Americans outside of Wisconsin care about this?

The riots were pretty politically charged already. The protests were widely supported, but there was huge friction about the riots and it was split down political lines: progressives tried to defend them, conservatives blasted them, while the majority of average Americans who supported the protests were against the rioting. It depended on The media you consumed.

The fact this kid was white, considered a trump supporter, was a fire bomb in an already combustible situation. A lot of it falls on the media for how it was portrayed. It really shouldn't have been a national story, and no one should have gotten so invested/obsessed/consumed in hating/supporting the kid.

It's hysterical he ended up being a BLM supporter.

It's always the media....the media has control over you...you are under control by media...you are incapable of real thought...that's the summary here...

I'm a smart, capable, individualist American...but the media which I choose to consume is the problem...

K

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I've been hestitant to wade myself into this debate, but I'll ask once: Why was there such a big deal on this Rittenhouse thing?  Is it just on racial lines/issues?

The riots were pretty politically charged already. The protests were widely supported, but there was huge friction about the riots and it was split down political lines: progressives tried to defend them, conservatives blasted them, while the majority of average Americans who supported the protests were against the rioting. It depended on The media you consumed.

The fact this kid was white, considered a trump supporter, was a fire bomb in an already combustible situation. A lot of it falls on the media for how it was portrayed. It really shouldn't have been a national story, and no one should have gotten so invested/obsessed/consumed in hating/supporting the kid.

It's always the media....the media has control over you...you are under control by media...you are incapable of real thought...that's the summary here...

I'm a smart, capable, individualist American...but the media which I choose to consume is the problem...

K

All you've done is repeat left wing media talking piints, asked if we've seen the Trump interview (nope), and then hoped Rittenhouse would kill Trump... I said the media inflamed tensions, especially with the sheep. You've proved my point.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

The media is a convenient scapegoat....say something worth hearing or reading...otherwise....stfu

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Everyone will have a different answer to this question...

My answer is threefold...

1) Guy crossed state lines...obtained a gun illegally and killed someone...that should matter whether it's Wisconsin, Utah or Japan...
2) He's now a hero
3) It's an excellent example of how the justice system treats people differently...as similar cases seem to be decided by a 'wheel of justice' depending on where you are...

misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I agree with both of these points.  But I do agree with ID's point about the media.  They just have a strange and (harmful to me) way of covering stories (or deciding what to cover) and just demonizing (or just hyping in one direction or another) and at some point you just end up getting turned off by the whole damned thing. I'm not supporting or condoning this guy.  My point is about the media.  And now I know why Lofton always harps on how fucking horrible these guys are.

I think it's more television because if you dig hard enough you can find a few decent print journalists.  Probably because they don't have commentators or hosts masquerading as journalists (this happens on all news networks; so not singling anyone out).

misterID

misterID wrote:

Remember when I said I'd never get a booster?

Yeah, just got the booster lol

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'm gonna get mine when I go shopping next week. I can't decide which shot to get. I may just get another J&J...my body already knows that one. They recommend mixing but I'll probably play it safe.

Looks like Ukraine might be heating up. Biden announced that US troops are off the table. In other words... Putin got the green light.  lol

Did you guys see where New Zealand might ban cigarettes for young people?!?

Crazy.

Not this shit again....

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I firmly believe everyone is entitled to make their own mind up on the vaccine, just as Biden said up until the fall, when he broke another campaign promise and changed course.  But I can't understand opposition to it.  At this point we all know someone who got it, and probably someone who spent time in the hospital with it.  We all probably know of someone who "died" from it too.  I'm not worried about the flu, but I get my booster every year.  Got my COVID booster a month ago now.  I just think it's funny to have the party of "My Body, My Choice" suddenly turn face and not only be kosher with, but vocally support mandates under punishment of law or loss of job.  Now they're saying the unvaxxed shouldn't have their healthcare covered.  What about the million other comorbidities that are a direct result of personal choice - obesity, diabetes, lung cancer, etc.  Seems they're more interested in punishing dissent and ostracizing people than actually putting forward solutions.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'm gonna get mine when I go shopping next week. I can't decide which shot to get. I may just get another J&J...my body already knows that one. They recommend mixing but I'll probably play it safe.

Looks like Ukraine might be heating up. Biden announced that US troops are off the table. In other words... Putin got the green light.  lol

Did you guys see where New Zealand might ban cigarettes for young people?!?

Crazy.

Not this shit again....

I’m so fucking tired of it too…the media is the boogeyman…

I don’t get it…grown adults consuming a product and simultaneously bitching about it.

The American male is a special breed of hypocrisy.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

K

All you've done is repeat left wing media talking piints, asked if we've seen the Trump interview (nope), and then hoped Rittenhouse would kill Trump... I said the media inflamed tensions, especially with the sheep. You've proved my point.

Not sure what it proves since i never watch any news programs….and when i say never….i mean never…the three articles a week i read from yahoo news allegedly makes me a moron….

How can you call yourself an informed individual while simultaneously degrade the sources of information you claim make you an informed person?

I’ll never understand this….

Board footer