You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Wtf happened to…Shackler’s Revenge

FlashFlood wrote:

The second song on the album and likely one of the last ones finished.

There isn’t much about the Chicken Dinner leak that differentiates is from the album version, outside of extra bells and whistles and Ron noodling on the verse. As is the case with a few of the songs, I don’t know why you wouldn’t leave Bucket’s solos. I don’t mind Ron’s solo in this, actually kind of like it, but it’s a Bucket song and it should have a bucket solo.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

One of the better tracks on the album. The dark lyrics, Axl's demonic voice in the verses and the melodic bridge are the highlights. I prefer the way Axl sang the chorus in 2014 though. Sad we'll never hear this song again since discount Joe Perry returned.

Sky Dog wrote:

Not my cup of tea...doesn’t even remotely sound like a Gnr song. bucket

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

FlashFlood wrote:

The second song on the album and likely one of the last ones finished.

There isn’t much about the Chicken Dinner leak that differentiates is from the album version, outside of extra bells and whistles and Ron noodling on the verse. As is the case with a few of the songs, I don’t know why you wouldn’t leave Bucket’s solos. I don’t mind Ron’s solo in this, actually kind of like it, but it’s a Bucket song and it should have a bucket solo.

Do we even know there was a Bucket solo? Like, he wrote it, but that might just have amounted to laying down some riffs and a basic structure.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think i heard a bucket version somewhere once, or something that purported to be anyways.

I like Ron's solo on this song, I think it added to the flavour. The bucket version sounded cool and atmospheric but more like cool background playing in an instrumental way not like a 12 bar solo section of a rock song would be.

The main riff with bucket's elephant noises I sometimes get a little sick off, but overall I dig the rocker vibe of this song (compared to how many ballads are on the album) and Axl's bits are cool too.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Same with me, I had to listen to it to even remember it. Still pretty awful imho. Axls "I don't believe there's a reason" is the only redeeming clips (solos etc aside maybe). That lyric should've been used in a diff song.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I dig the song. Reminds of Rob Zombie. Kind of funny, when I heard Dragula for the first time I thought CD would have similar sounding songs. If you ever get to hear the stripped down version, Tommy has some really killer bass riffs here.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Yea I dunno what the chicken dinner things is all about...but I agree...this doesn't sound like Gn'R at all outside of the lyrics maybe.

I've often given a pass to some songs on CD due to being poorly or overly produced...that's the only way I can see this song having any hope of getting better to me.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
misterID wrote:

I dig the song. Reminds of Rob Zombie. Kind of funny, when I heard Dragula for the first time I thought CD would have similar sounding songs. If you ever get to hear the stripped down version, Tommy has some really killer bass riffs here.

I always thought White/Rob Zombie was the direction Axl wanted to go with the album. Classic rock, heavy riffs but with the samples and drum machines that were prevalent at the time.

I hear Thunder Kiss 65 and can easily envision it Guns song in it’s purest form.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Thunder Kiss stomps the guts out of this song and then dumps it on the side of the road.

I liked Shackler's when it first leaked...and yeah there's a Zombie influence...but the novelty wore off fairly quickly.

It doesn't really belong on the album. It doesn't fit with the theme of the record  and its placement in the track sequencing makes it stand out even more.

Should've been a B side to a single but of course...they don't do B sides.

Board footer