You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Axl doesnt consider CD a guns n roses album anymore

I get that a lot of the fire and edge that defined Guns was created when they were broke and largely homeless.  But do we really think that these professional musicians can't create new songs because they're in their 50s?  Hardwired wasn't the best Metallica album, but it was a shit ton better than Saint Anger and Death Magnetic, and they're the same age as GN'R.  I love some of the songs Slash has done with the Conspirators - World on Fire is fucking great.  Hell, I hoped to see Axl cover it live.  Do I think they could recreate Appetite today, no.  But that doesn't mean they couldn't make really kick ass rock n' roll.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Everyone who joined GN'R post 1996 was hired as Axl collaborators to write music. Basically West Arkeen. He has a treasure trove of music, he's not taking forum advice about what he ought to do with it. I mean, to get upset about any of this is just baffling. Perhaps is a great song, and I'm excited to hear what they do with it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:
Axl S wrote:

I don't get folk who go on about "I wish they wouldn't release these songs with Slash and Duff, I want the originals from 02, I don't want these versions of the songs".

Getting these versions is the hurdle that needs to be cleared if you ever EVER want to hear how these songs sounded with the CD lineup. Getting a release of this music out the door gets us 1) closer to any sort of unloading of old demos, vault boxset type release in the future 2) kills the mystique any of these songs have and reduces their trade value.

If any of this shit is out there and someone who's been sat on lets just say The General for the past decade sees an announced tracklist for an eventual album and sees their shit on there... they're going to want to get it moved quick before it becomes worth so much less. More trading of shit means songs end up in more hands and make it likelier they end up leaking.

If you ever want to one day hear Axl's CD 2 the way it was "supposed" to have been heard circa 2001-2004 then this hurdle of a new reunion album needs to be cleared.

What is there not to get?

slash and duff are back in the band. Why would you want to hear them cover the CD era stuff instead of Slash, Duff and Axl writing new songs from scratch with each other. 

Axl should have just released an Axl solo cd after the break up with the CD era of the band and start to work on fresh songs with Slash and Duff
But now they have wasted like 5 years and not writing new music and all we will get is the CD era songs with slash and duff touch ups. that is just dumb

Flagg is right that it's possible they could somehow cook up their own Hardwired or King Animal. If those guys can, why can't GNR?

The secrecy that always has to surround the band is an obstacle to speculation on this subject....

What are their relationships really like?

We know they're not best friends. Hell... don't each of them travel with their own posse? Do Slash and Duff want to work with certain members? I remember years ago hearing about Slash initially not too keen on Melissa joining. Is he over that? How about any issues with Frank?

Obviously you don't have to be best friends to make it somehow work...latter day Mick and Keith are proof of this. There at least needs to be some type of chemistry.

How about their recording/studio habits? Axl's habits appear to be a tad sporadic. tongue

Maybe Slash can walk into his solo band, tell everyone to get to the studio, and bust out one of his standard solo albums in a few weeks or so. He's in charge.

That's not gonna happen here.

Axl used to like going to the studio in the middle of the night out of the blue. Does Slash or Duff have similar hours?

Do they just send music files back and forth to one another?

Axl was already sitting on an album gathering dust. If Axl feels like recording vocals, I assume Slash and Duff have some finished instrumentals from the old days.

It's not really that surprising which batch of songs are more likely to get worked on.

You can have a brand new GNR album with minimal effort.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
misterID wrote:

Everyone who joined GN'R post 1996 was hired as Axl collaborators to write music. Basically West Arkeen. He has a treasure trove of music, he's not taking forum advice about what he ought to do with it. I mean, to get upset about any of this is just baffling. Perhaps is a great song, and I'm excited to hear what they do with it.

And now Slash and Duff are just hired Axl collaborators since all they are doing is covering BH, Finck's and Tommys parts instead of coming up with their own songs for Axl to sing on.

That is the biggest issue. After all this time Axl, Slash and Duff get back together and instead of writing new music together, they are just re-doing Axls solo work.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

That at some point he always wanted Slash to return and work on the CD tracks.

In some aspect, this desire may have played a role...even if only minor...in the project's delays... especially in 2004-5 when Bucket bailed and the near reunion a year later.

I think it played a role in the follow-up not happening during the Ashba years. Why waste your good material on that nonsense?

Save it for a rainy day.

Other than the forum chats where he mentioned some song titles, he never really commented on a second album between 2009 and 2014.

Coincidence? I doubt it.

He knew what was coming. Five years ago that former tour manager said Axl told him in 2011-12 that a reunion was going to happen but he wasn't ready yet. Also that recent post where someone mentioned that Slash interview back then where he said Axl wanted to work Chinese a bit more.

Yeah....Van Halen ignored the Cherone mistake...and ignored the Hagar years too! lol

They also released a reunion album consisting of many old reworked demos.

GNR are in a position where they can easily ignore it...so they will.

Joe and Jill Public know nothing about the ins and outs of the saga...and they don't want to know. They just want to go to a show, rock out to Jungle, and maybe buy the first Guns N Roses record in nearly 30 years. tongue

What a travesty...so we're back in 1993 now about to finally get into 1994. Woooowee that was a long year.

I guess they really have no alternative but jeeeesus.....Anyway...here's to 1994 everyone. Some crazy shit happens in 1994 but I don't wanna ruin it for you. I will let you all know that OJ is not the guy you think he is and also there's a company that's going to be created soon called Amazon...get in on that shit.

Also 1994 might've been a hard year puberty wise for some of us.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

If there is new post reunion written material it will be done in the same way that they did the newly written material for UYI.

Each of them brining in ideas and sketches of songs, tapes being ferried back and forth to Axl Manor, eventually working them into complete instrumentals, Axl then labouring over them and adding his vocals for 1-2 years whilst the rest of the band got high.

It will be like that, except less getting high and instead of tapes it's sending files to each other online. They aren't jamming in a van anymore and haven't since 1985/86.

------

I still don't see the issue with them reworking Axl's CD sessions vault either. If you want those CD lineup versions, getting these versions out of the way is the path towards those seeing the light of day.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James wrote:

Flagg is right that it's possible they could somehow cook up their own Hardwired or King Animal. If those guys can, why can't GNR?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:
misterID wrote:

And now Slash and Duff are just hired Axl collaborators since all they are doing is covering BH, Finck's and Tommys parts instead of coming up with their own songs for Axl to sing on.

That is the biggest issue. After all this time Axl, Slash and Duff get back together and instead of writing new music together, they are just re-doing Axls solo work.

How do you know they haven't? They all brought shit from their old bands anyway. What does it matter? Richard has said they're doing what they always did, passing demos around. We have no idea what they've worked on. Axl wasn't going to ditch music he spent a good portion of his life working on. Audioslave was a lot of Chris's solo stuff. Fall To Pieces was created for GN'R. This has happened all through rock n roll. Grace Slick got the Airplane gig because of White Rabbit, which she wrote with another band.

This is the dopiest stuff to be outraged about.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Slash has always been a great foil to Axl. His solo work has never appealed to me but Absurd and Hard School show that he still has the ability elevate Axl's material. The single is what made me excited for the prospect of a new album. If they were just writing new material I would be lukewarm. What are they going to write about? Where to hide all the cash?

This sounds great compared to the original. Dave called it a simplification but the tone is better here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c6x5pNBh1Y

I haven't heard Slash solo like that since 1993.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Slash has always been a great foil to Axl. His solo work has never appealed to me but Absurd and Hard School show that he still has the ability elevate Axl's material. The single is what made me excited for the prospect of a new album. If they were just writing new material I would be lukewarm. What are they going to write about? Where to hide all the cash?

This sounds great compared to the original. Dave called it a simplification but the tone is better here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c6x5pNBh1Y

I haven't heard Slash solo like that since 1993.

That version and the full rehearsal that came out are really dumbed down compared to the Finck / BH version.
And silkworms HOB is way better than Absurd. 

slash always butches all the CD songs he plays live.  Not sure how you think slash elevates it.
Just cant wait to hear him totally ruin songs like Zodiac and Quick Song

Board footer