You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Libertad Fails - Will nuGNR follow?

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

A good first single is what sells albums. Admittedly other factors come into too such as the artist or the anticipation for the album but as a general rule a good first single is what will set the ball rolling better than anything. VR didn't have one on Libertad, hence the poor sales.

I definitely think the was the A1 contribution factor on the Libertad issue.

I agree.  I usually don't even listen to that song when I listen to the album.

Libertard was a failure because its weak and a shit album with mediocre songs.     The Chinese D material so far has all been leagues ahead so I don't feel it will suffer the same fate.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I view it like this:

I dunno if i'd say the CD meterial has been "leagues ahead" as what we have is 5 awesome songs (better, twat, catcher, maddy, and CD). But then if you consider the 2 slash solo records, and both VR albums theres easily 5 fantasic songs there too. All i'm saying is it doesnt seem logical to rate them against each other to me until we have a similar level of output from both artists. As if you consider say 70 songs of each then we'd see on average who makes what. But at the end of the day its all subjective anyway. Thats the point of music - to touch people. So who can say what is good and not.

Anyway the real reason i dont wanna get into a CD vs VR thing is that i love both bands.

I will say this though:

There is a percentage of people who would buy ANY release from other VR or GNR due to fandom. (haha...i'm prob one of those people).

GNR is a MUCH bigger brand than VR and hense would have more of those type of fans.

For this reason - REGARDLESS OF QUALITY - that is even if CD was absolute garbage - i would expect GNR (the new lineup) 2nd Album to do better than VR's 2nd - simply due to the fact that theres more GNR fans than there is VR fans. I think anything released under the GNR banner will sell enough on reputation alone not to "fail" is where i'm headed with this.

As for libertad...i don't understand the hate from everyone, its not my favourite album from these guys, but it has some cool songs on it - like "Let it Roll" in particular rocked my world!

I will say that i think in general to me it seems like VR is too much Scott driven and not enough Slash, and i'm not sure Dave is the best foil for Slash's work. But thats not to say I don't like them cos I sure do.

I think libertad has been harmed by bad choice of singles also. To my ear they've picked the 2 blander tunes to release. But i guess thats a personal prefrence thing.

jac185
 Rep: 3 

jac185 wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

Libertard was a failure because its weak and a shit album with mediocre songs

But people don't buy albums based on the strength of the album as a whole. Its based on name, promotion, singles and so on. Word of mouth regarding an albums quality doesn't really come in until a little bit later. The vast proportion of CD sales will happen in the first month or so due to the hype it would generate (combined i assume with a strong single).

Chinese Democracy will have alot more promotion than any second GNR record will just because of the nature of the album.

Just as Contraband had the GNR MEETS STP!!!! free publicity (combined with strong singles, other promotion etc).

So i don't think Libertads failure indicates too much towards the success of CD.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I was going to make a new thread but decided to find an old one for nostalgia sake.

I had 2 Libertad songs pop up on my Spotify in my car (Just 16 and American Man). Good god this shit sucks. They actually sound like they’d be perfect on the Slash solo album, but there is nothing that links these tracks to Contraband. Sounds like different bands. Yikes.

Edit: I didn’t know this would be in the main GnR chat.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The production is way better on Libertad. Very 70s and punkish. I like Gravedancer, She Builds Quick Machines, Pills & Demons and Let It Roll.

busngabb
 Rep: 1 

busngabb wrote:

Feels like I've gone back in time 15 years. Talking about GNR leaks and Velvet Revolver. smile

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow. Blast from the past thread.

Evo members in this thread I  miss...

Intercourse - He's gotta post somewhere else.. maybe under a new name

BrokenGlassNCigs - Loved this guy. He still posts at mygnr but I won't post his mygnr username in case he'd rather not have it connected to this account. He's the guy who finally convinced me to watch The Sopranos.

NYGiants82 - An ROV/Evo OG. Really miss him. I hope he's alive. Sports discussion really went into decline when he left.

CommunistChina - One of the best forum members ever. A huge loss when he left. Hard to believe he was a teenager. I know he's on Twitter (looked him up once, was surprised to see his picture) but since he doesn't talk GNR, won't link it.

Jimmy "Zig zag' - This was JimBob...the notorious Finck fan... hardcore new GNR fan and was almost anti- classic GNR. We argued occasionally but I loved the guy. A big loss. He came back briefly during the reunion under a different screen name.

Elmir - Another huge loss. Played a huge role along with Will and Dreamline in getting this place off the ground. Instead of thanking me for keeping the community going after the ROV fiasco, thank those three.

Elmir and Dreamline came up with that killer logo based on the classic GNR logo when Evo launched. The GNR camp were fucking imbeciles for not immediately asking us if they could use it officially. It was better than anything they ever came up with...and Dreamline and Elmir would've gave it to them.

I don't have it by itself in HQ...lost the file years ago...but I edited it out of the old banner...

mockup5-2.jpg

Just remove the VR girl (we had it without) and it's good to go.

They did that logo by hand. A real work of art.

Look at the crap they use now on merch.

I just realized...the smoke coming from the guns is missing. Maybe that was removed when VR was combined with it.

Here it is. Shit quality though... too blurry.

mockup-new-2.jpg

----

I really nailed it here...

There's no doubt anymore that it wont outsell Contraband. Downloading wasn't as out of control when CB was released. I dont remember the exact sales figures(not much of a VR fan), but didn't CB sell around 3 million copies? No way in hell will CD even come close to that. Thats nothing against GNR by saying that. Its reality. A band of men approaching fifty who haven't released anything is not going multi platinum. Even the name doesn't guarantee huge sales anymore. The name only guarantees a few articles in the media.

I would wager it gets 80% of its sales the first week and tanks after that

FlashFlood wrote:

I was going to make a new thread but decided to find an old one for nostalgia sake.

I had 2 Libertad songs pop up on my Spotify in my car (Just 16 and American Man). Good god this shit sucks. They actually sound like they’d be perfect on the Slash solo album, but there is nothing that links these tracks to Contraband. Sounds like different bands. Yikes.

Edit: I didn’t know this would be in the main GnR chat.

Only Libertad songs in my collection now...

She Builds Quick Machines

This is in the main GNR section now because we moved it when we closed the VR section in 2008.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It’s really odd seeing the all the old guys. Whatever happened to AxlIn08?

Board footer