You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Re: Farm Aid 1990

Wilco wrote:

GNR’s first performance of the 90s, and their last with Steven

Did anyone here watch this live back in April 1990, if so, what was your thoughts on it at the time?

Were Steven’s problems apparent watching it? Were rumors swirling about him in that pre internet age?

If I’m not mistaken, the show came before Civil War was actually released (This was April 90, wasn’t the Nobody’s Child released in June 1990?), and it was also the first performance of Down on the Farm which wouldn’t be released for 3 1/2 years on TSI

Thoughts on it then, thoughts now on this final performance by the AFD lineup?

Even to this day despite the semi reunion, it sadly remains the last time all 5 have been together on the same stage at the same time

Sky Dog wrote:

I watched it live on tv and thought it was incredible…..the songs…their attire for the performance…they looked and sounded pretty damn bad ass…

SlashMcKagan
 Rep: 0 

SlashMcKagan wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I watched it live on tv and thought it was incredible…..the songs…their attire for the performance…they looked and sounded pretty damn bad ass…

Me too, and I agree 5

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Axl never looked cooler than he did at Farm Aid. Total bad ass imagery and the charisma, swagger, and stage presence to back it up.

It's unfortunate that a whole set couldn't happen in that environment. They were on fire.

Yeah I saw it. An amazing spectacle. It was the moment hardcore fans across the globe collectively shit their pants. What they did was unprecedented. At these types of events, you're supposed to play a couple of your hits....GNR perform a brand new song and an obscure punk cover poking fun at the event they're performing it at.

As far as perception of the band at the time....

Fans knew there were some issues with Adler. Actually not just Adler...all of them. No one knew what was going on and they lived up to the most dangerous brand in the world label.

In the months leading up to Farm Aid...

The infamous Axl rant at the Stones show, performing with the Stones at a later show, Axl and Izzy at the VMAs(Axl/Tom Petty & the Vince Neil incident), AFD winning awards at the 1990 AMA's with a wasted Slash and Duff accepting the awards, Izzy pissing on the plane, rumors about the aborted studio sessions....

The thing about Adler fucking up when he gets onstage wasn't mentioned until the magazines jumped all over it after the fact.

Speaking of the AMAs, funny how they won those awards even though they hadn't released anything for the past year.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

It didn't air in New Zealand but I remember reading plenty about it in rock magazines etc... which I used to devour for any GN'R tidbit. They had that dangerous and unpredictable swagger in spades. Civil War is very slow and Down on the farm apparently Adler didn't even know the song/hadn't rehearsed etc...

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

You could call it the high watermark of the old band. Not at their absolute best musically, but as a popular phenomenon they were at their peak. I always feel for Adler, imagine being kicked out at that moment. A lot of guys wouldn't survive that.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

You could call it the high watermark of the old band. Not at their absolute best musically, but as a popular phenomenon they were at their peak. I always feel for Adler, imagine being kicked out at that moment. A lot of guys wouldn't survive that.

The way history is told, it doesn’t seem like he tried to survive it.

Board footer