You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

Re: Rolling Stone: The Search for Guns N’ Roses’ Lost Masterpiece

sandman wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I won’t read the article but it’s fair to say we are all pathetic.

I read the article and came away embarrassed and ashamed to be a GNR fan.  And yes, I knew most of this stuff beforehand.  Yikes.

Why?  You didn't download every leak and enjoy it over the past 20 years?  Don't get me wrong, some of the fans that existed on HTGTH 15 years ago and who I assume are now at MyGNR (never really visited that forum) were bat shit bonkers insane.  The guy they article was primarily focused on seems to fit that archetype of fandom - the type that would buy and worship a strand of Axl's hair.  I certainly won't forget my private messages with TimeBomb who lived surprisingly close to me. 

I met and stood next to Darknemus at the Hammerstein shows along with some other forum "celebrities" and realized then that most of the die hards were dudes just slightly more obsessed with the CD saga with better networking skills than I was at the time.  MikeGivani or whatever his handle was asking the Colombian fans if they brought any coke with them was just cringe.  But I loved being part of a small group of fans who enjoyed what at the time was a joke and almost obscure album that many thought would never see the light of day.

Do I recognize that I was a bit over the top as a GN'R fanboy during the CD circus, sure.  But people who know me in RL that I haven't spoken to in 15 years on the regular still send me messages and memes about GN'R because they remember how important the band was (and still is) to me, when most of the world saw them as a joke.  I'm not ashamed of that or downloading every leak that I've been able to.  You shouldn't be either.

I kinda agree with both of you. Embarrassed is not the right word, but it is somewhat regrettable how much time i spent reading rumors and info from supposed “insiders”. I gave nobodies too much attention and spent hours and hours dedicated to a band that doesn’t give a shit about their fans, and doesn’t produce much. Of all the time i spent online between 1999-2010, a large percentage was on one of these forums. Could have spent that time more wisely. Something more rewarding.

Since the reunion, i have not followed anything. Their initial tour in 2016-2017 was incredible. I’d love to hear new music, but i never think about it. Its just so pathetic how they handle so many things, it has made it tough to maintain interest.

But the article was a good read. I’d be surprised if anyone outside of the gnr world would give a shit though. And any non-fan that reads it will probably laugh at the thought of a band only releasing one album in almost 30 years.

Hope u all r well!!

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

There has just always been a divide between the band and the fans. Times changed, and when pushed, Axl/Guns never quite gave enough, so the fans pushed further and it resulted in the history we have now.

Managers have pushed in the past, but Axl ultimately went with family. It is what it is.

We have the reunion now, but that, and many things, could have happened earlier.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:
sp1at wrote:

There has just always been a divide between the band and the fans. Times changed, and when pushed, Axl/Guns never quite gave enough, so the fans pushed further and it resulted in the history we have now.

Managers have pushed in the past, but Axl ultimately went with family. It is what it is.

We have the reunion now, but that, and many things, could have happened earlier.

Any more rumblings re new music buddy?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

There are 52 Thursdays left in 2023

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:
gavgnr wrote:
sp1at wrote:

Any more rumblings re new music buddy?

Just what Slash said, it's repeated if u ask

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Egotistical cunts eh.

MSL dude like wow. What a piece of work that smegma is.

My grandfather was a Canadian Prime Minister, ok bro, but, that ain’t you? What’s your accomplishment other than being dick cheese?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

sp1at wrote:

I will forever be annoyed that we didn't get the 2006 reunion (doubly so given that it would have been almost exactly the current line-up, with Pitman instead of Melissa and Brain instead of Frank).

Of course it would've meant another round of studio sessions to re-record Chinese Democracy with Slash and Duff, but imagine 2006 Axl with Slash and Duff back onside and a highly-anticipated, near-mythical new album in the offing. It would've been biblical.

This voice, with Slash's guitar:

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

doubly so given that it would have been almost exactly the current line-up, with Pitman instead of Melissa and Brain instead of Frank).

Actually...it probably would've been the current lineup minus Frank.

I'm pretty sure 2006 is when Melissa and Brain got together.

Only reason to keep Pitman in the picture is if they wanted him to help finish the album.

As far as the album goes, I wonder if they would've went back to an earlier version of the album to.work.on instead of how it was handled with Ron and Frank.

Edit

They were working with Scaturro in 2006...so yeah she would enter the fray.

elevendayempire

James wrote:

Only reason to keep Pitman in the picture is if they wanted him to help finish the album.

Only reason they fired him was the "touring the oldies" comment though. In a world where a Slash/Duff Chinese Democracy release is on the cards for 2007/2008, that ceases to be an issue.

elevendayempire

It is a fascinating alternate history though, isn't it? What happens if, in that small window of opportunity when Buckethead and Finck are out, Axl opens the door to Slash? Does he fire Tommy and reinstate Duff? Does Pitman stick around since the chances of new music being a commercial success suddenly skyrocket? How long/involved a process is reworking Chinese Democracy? Are Buckethead and Finck's contributions cut (I'm assuming yes). Is a re-recorded Chinese Democracy released in 2007/2008– possibly with some songs based on what became the first Slash solo album? – a commercial success, given that the major obstacle to widespread critical acclaim (the fact that it doesn't have Slash) is now moot?

Oh, and: what songs are on it?

Board footer