You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Re: Rolling Stone: The Search for Guns N’ Roses’ Lost Masterpiece

Izzyjim wrote:

How a group of ride-or-die GN'R fans leaked 19 CDs of outtakes from one of the most notorious albums in history — with painful consequences for one of them

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi … 234645804/

Quite a story (and I always wondered who was the chairman haha)

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:

Good read. Very detailed. Although It seems less than 19 CD's. Out of the whole thing I was able to make 2 CD's worth new material and only about 8-9 had lyrics. Didn't know about the $15k payment from GN'R though. It was obvious Dunsford didn't leak the whole thing as "the chairman" did. I still enjoy listening to the leaks. They are very good. I didn't like the Slash/Duff re-works at all. This is what happens when you screw the fans and never release anything. The fans get desperate.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

Good article, nice read. Made me go and find the leaks online again, my original download got wiped out. I wanna hear the original hard school again.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wacky.

Feels like some of the story is missing but what difference does it make at this point.

Not surprised at all by the Chairman reveal. It was obvious from jump street it was dark.

This story really points out how incompetent management really is. Yikes.

Out of the whole thing I was able to make 2 CD's

Same here.

Disc 1 as CD/2000 Intentions with a second disc showing the potential of a great follow up.

Sky Dog wrote:

Meh….still in the same spot we were before….neat article for a newbie.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

It's all a bit warped, but it's also fitting in it's own peculiar way.

In the absence of any music, it was all of us, the fans, that kept the ball rolling for GN'R in our own peculiar way, and this story completes the circle really, all the GN'R forum pantomime villains being involved in this, all familiar names if you have been around since the beginning.

I know it was a negative for the band at the time, but they moved on, made up and reformed, then went out and made money from touring, so it's not worked out too bad for them, and for the fans, it gave an insight into Axl's world, which, when combined with all the interviews and stories over the years allowed those that followed the band to have an insight into the difficulties Axl had making CD.

I think when he came onto the forums, he came with a message, but this whole saga told the story far better in it's own way

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

That was a fun read, even though most of it I knew or partially knew, it was good to see it all tied together. 

Definitely no honour amongst thieves either as they lie, cheat and backstab each other.  I did laugh at him saying the first night on the way home from buying the material he found his travelling companion (that deranged muppet Madeline Rose who claims to work for GNR and gets YouTube vids pulled), at a computer with the thumb drive, so he slept with it under his pillow.

It really does seem as though this band has more than their fair share of psychotic fans.  I suppose the fanbase is simply a mirror to the dysfunctional band that they follow.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I won’t read the article but it’s fair to say we are all pathetic.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I read the article and came away embarrassed and ashamed to be a GNR fan.  And yes, I knew most of this stuff beforehand.  Yikes.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

slashsfro wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I read the article and came away embarrassed and ashamed to be a GNR fan.  And yes, I knew most of this stuff beforehand.  Yikes.

Why?  You didn't download every leak and enjoy it over the past 20 years?  Don't get me wrong, some of the fans that existed on HTGTH 15 years ago and who I assume are now at MyGNR (never really visited that forum) were bat shit bonkers insane.  The guy they article was primarily focused on seems to fit that archetype of fandom - the type that would buy and worship a strand of Axl's hair.  I certainly won't forget my private messages with TimeBomb who lived surprisingly close to me. 

I met and stood next to Darknemus at the Hammerstein shows along with some other forum "celebrities" and realized then that most of the die hards were dudes just slightly more obsessed with the CD saga with better networking skills than I was at the time.  MikeGivani or whatever his handle was asking the Colombian fans if they brought any coke with them was just cringe.  But I loved being part of a small group of fans who enjoyed what at the time was a joke and almost obscure album that many thought would never see the light of day.

Do I recognize that I was a bit over the top as a GN'R fanboy during the CD circus, sure.  But people who know me in RL that I haven't spoken to in 15 years on the regular still send me messages and memes about GN'R because they remember how important the band was (and still is) to me, when most of the world saw them as a joke.  I'm not ashamed of that or downloading every leak that I've been able to.  You shouldn't be either.

Board footer