You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The RAMBO Thread

James wrote:

On the Sunday of opening weekend Harvey Weinstein was already pimping the sequel and "bringing the character back to the United States. I like the idea of an older guy kicking ass."

Soon after, Stallone said he was gearing up to make a fifth and final installment in the series.

"I would like to take Rambo to another genre, experiment a little with the character. It would definitely not be another war movie, 'cause I can't go any further with that than what I've already done. What it's going to be like I'm not going to reveal at this point. But I'm already halfway though writing the manuscript."

"I truly can't tell you yet (what to expect, and what would the storyline would be) because I think it would be bad luck, but I think a challenge would be to take the character which has been perceived mostly in a realistic vein and add another element of the surreal that would actually take the audience into a slightly different genre. It's not like I'm going to turn it into a full on Broadway musical starring the Muppets, but it is ambitious."

Studio space is already booked for filming. According to Screen Daily, "Rambo 5" looks to be shot in Bulgaria. Sofia-based studio Nu Boyana is building 10 new sound stages, expanding their city street sets. Rambo is apparently one of the first films booked in to use the new stages.

A reliable contact for Moviehole, 'KC', informs them that the next "Rambo" film will indeed be set in America - it's just more cost-effective to do it in Bulgaria. "The street sets of Bulgaria that are getting the makeover, the same ones that were rented out and used in Van Damme's The Shepherd, will be doubling for Rambo's hometown, which is supposed to somewhere in Arizona."

I'm on the fence with this. I don't think its needed, and will most likely be a sort of remake of First Blood. He goes home at the end of IV, so like in First Blood, something will happen.

I thought he was gonna retire his icons with dignity. Apparently not. Looks like he is gonna suck as many dollars out of his franchises as he can. I would not be shocked if he cooks up another Rocky in the next couple years.

Instead of this Rocky and Rambo shit, he should do a sequel to Cobra. That film deserved a sequel back in the 80's.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

rambo vs. rocky - that's it. cast stalone as everyone and let him beat the crap out of himself 3

i don't mind sequels going on and on but these 2 particular one's i'm kinda sick of hearing about them.

GrizzDotCom
 Rep: 3 

GrizzDotCom wrote:

Crazy thing is....dude doesn't need to do sequels, he's a decent actor he just needs to pick the right scripts.  He proved all those who doubt his acting wrong in Copland, that was a superb film, an underated classic.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

If anything, Cop Land was a necessity at the time. Stallone's action movie stardom was twindling and he was getting desperate in renewing his clout after the triple threat of Judge Dredd-Assassins-Daylight, which all had underperformed drastically in the stateside box office. Like some many other 80's stars, Stallone's past was catching up with him and while the latest outings of both Rocky and Rambo had perished in the box-office, Demolition Man and Cliffhanger had earned him enough credits to maintain above 'has-been'. However, he was hardly high enough to take three costly strikes in a row, and figured he might just as well try for another Academy Award nomination. Gaining weight and/or going slow has since worked for the likes of Sean Penn and Charlize Theron, so Stallone's reasoning (as well as the self-ironic apperance to cut the critics' teeth) was fair enough.

Unfortunately for poor Sly, he was forced to stretch to the limits of his range next to people like Robert De Niro, Harvey Keitel and Ray Liotta, who as Scorsese alumni can outact him in a flash on their worst days. While Cop Land isn't the greatest of films to anyone involved, that I think was the greatest reason for why Stallone didn't get more out of it. People just saw an aging action hero playing an unorthodox protagonist as far as outlook's concerned (by Hollywood standards, anyway), which contributed to a hypocritical stench above it, now begging for artistic recognition instead of the usual idolatry.

After taking a few years to consider his options, Sly resurfaced with Morgan Creek and Franchise Pictures, both notorious dumping grounds guised as safe havens for actors and filmmakers who'd lost their former studio bankability. Get Carter was a costly reimagining of the 1970's Michael Caine film with Stallone only a shadow of his Cop Land appearance, now sporting a goatee and shades, desperately attempting to look hip. But even his reformed image, a script by the American History X scribe and a then-promising actor-turned-director couldn't combinedly pass the mustard and Get Carter turned out to be one of the worst flops in his career. Like co-star Mickey Rourke, himself in a similar career slump then, so aptly put it onscreen: "You're gonna end up like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest."

Stallone's next, Driven, was a last-ditch effort to go back to sport films. A near $100 Million budget took him right back to the old days again; yet in all fairness, the money was atleast partially pocketed due to the attachment of Cliffhanger director Renny Harlin, who'd just made Warner Brothers a modest success with his shark movie, Deep Blue Sea. Stallone dogded the age question by casting himself as the old sage out to guide a freshman driver who could be a contender. While its nowhere near plausible to imagine a 55-year old driving a CART car half a season after an extended hiatus (the G-force exposure alone might do some nasty things), Stallone hoped he could turn Nigel Mansell and return to the ovals as an eligible challenger.

No such luck, and after Driven crashed and burned in the box-office (creating major issues for Harlin as well), the much postponed D-Tox/Eye See You, the original follow-up/rebound of the post-Cop Land wilderness years (shot in '99) was dropped by Universal Studios and briefly visited the theatres before sinking into the bottom of the rental shelf. The less said about it, the better. Same goes for yet another Franchise Pictures offering, Avenging Angelo.

Another few years of penance, and Stallone was finally ready to enter the stage of the fallen champ, both on and off screen. Enough time had passed for the Rocky/Rambo fanbase of the 80's to grow up and the following generation to catch up on those Reagan-era glory moments on cable and DVD. Rocky Balboa was very unpretentious in its efforts to milk the nostalgia factor, and was in many ways the film Cop Land was meant to be for ol' Sly. Despite overtly mushy and slightly slim on characterization, the finale is still effectively gripping once the Apollo Creed surrogate Mason Dixon breaks his hand and the contender gets the first of his last shots past the defenses.

Rambo is a completely different story than Rocky Balboa, as a character and a franchise. Stallone's been adamant about his intentions on closing the chapter on a high note in both cases, yet that's partially industry pep talk. Rocky's something that's rather difficult to milk further (even if some might've said the same after part 5), but the current post-9/11 environment makes for a fertile hunting ground for the aging guerilla, his best one since Reagan's America. If only he'd be 10-15 years younger, I could see another Cobra (originally envisioned as another franchise) in the pipeline...

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Instead of this Rocky and Rambo shit, he should do a sequel to Cobra. That film deserved a sequel back in the 80's.

sic. wrote:

If only he'd be 10-15 years younger, I could see another Cobra (originally envisioned as another franchise) in the pipeline...

Are you guys serious? It was a decent movie but had no potential for a lengthy run of sequels. One "Cobra" movie was quite enough for me.

Lock Up on the other hand was a fine Stallone flick that deserves more recognition.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I recently finished watching all four films, the first three for the first time in a long time, and the fourth for the first time ever.

So I thought i'd start a 'Rambo' discussion thread.

Here's some earlier threads...

Rambo IV:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=1419

Rambo V:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=2011

-----

First Blood is a true classic imo. I almost want to utter the word 'masterpiece', but not quite. It really is one of the stronger and more relevant action films... ever. Stallone puts the kind of effort into the character that he would on Rocky, and it isn't just your average blood n' guts 80's action, ala Chuck Norris and the Missing In Action films.

There's so many classic lines in First Blood, as well as memorable moments, and a memorable cast. Just a movie that stays enjoyable time and again, and still holds it's own.

Rambo: First Blood Part II is a considerable trade down from First Blood, and unfortunately I think Stallone (who ghost directed the film) kind of missed the point of First Blood. The core story that drove the first film, and set it apart, was the social commentary on Vietnam war veterans, mixed with the action. Stallone instead waters down the first film, and streamlines it into typical action fodder. Also Rambo II suffers from being the most pigeonholed in the time it was made. It's is VERY 80's. The dialogue is badly dated, and overdone in places, and although still an entertaining film, I find it the most sluggish to move along.

Rambo III seemed to learn from the mistakes of II, and took a Rambo II attitude and mixed it with a First Blood quality. The commentary on the Russian government, mixed with the Afghani freedom fighters, harkened back to the John Rambo of First Blood, rather than II. The film also stayed strong throughout, never really dragging, and involving Troutman in the action was a cool change of pace, and thankfully was done, considering the fact Richard Crenna would never be in another film. It's a better film than II, but not I.

Rambo IV, which I watched for the first time, was a pleasent surprise. I was expecting the absolute worst from how it was described by so many, but instead it was a good film imo, and a VERY good film considering the absolute fuckin' crap that passes for action films these days (Jason Statham, just go the fuck away man). The storyline was very interesting, close to real life events ala I & III, and seemed to continue on the Rambo III formula of mixing the straight up action of Rambo II with the more substance of First Blood. Certaintly a 'throwback' film, that probably wouldn't be accused of being modern in 2008, but it was a strong film, and Stallone still has got "it", even at his age. I eagerly await Rambo V.

*** - I also want to say, Rambo IV is one the goriest films i've ever watched. That shit was awesome! 9

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Stallone is a great actor, if no one knew that - see Cop Land - I think he proved then how great of an actor he is. As far as i'm concerned it's his finest hour. I think when you can stick Stallone in a film with Robert DeNiro, Ray Liotta, and Harvey Keitel... and STALLONE steals the show. Amazing talent imo.

The reason Stallone has never gotten the respect he deserves, is unlike a DeNiro, Stallone has just made awful choices in what films he does. Not that DeNiro doesn't have a few turds in his resume, but with a Stallone, doing five sequels to Rocky, and four and a fifth-in-the-making sequels to Rambo, doesn't exactly add up to respect as an actor. Not to mention for every Cop Land there's a whole slew of Driven, Daylight, Judge Dredd's... to really overshadow it.

James talks about Cobra...

The one film i've always been STUNNED never got a sequel was Tango & Cash. Good buddy cop action film, Stallone and Kurt Russell had great chemistry, and the film was a BO success. Where's the sequel? Big stunner imo...

Will

Will wrote:

It's been a few years since I've watched any of the Rambo films but in my teens I burnt out on I and II - could literally watch them night after night.

First Blood is a classic movie, one of Stallones finest performances, in my opinion it tops Rocky. If you've read First Blood it becomes a little difficult to appreciate First Blood : Part II - in both movie and book form. That being said, prior to reading the novel I did enjoy the 2nd movie though I agree it strayed from the original concept.

1985 was a great year for Stallone, he knocked out First Blood : Part II and Rocky IV, arguably his greatest year I'd think.

Rambo III was one too many. I thought the storyline was weak when stacked up against the first two. The original story was believeable, the second not-quite-so, and the third I found ridiculous ~ I just failed to believe in the character or the plot. The "one man army" idea was taken way too far, taking on an entire army was laughable. I thought it was only marginally pulled off successfully in the 2nd movie due to it being so fuckin cool ala .....

159rambo2-mud2.jpg

As I say its been a few years and now you've got me dying to see em all again big_smile Perhaps I'll appreciate Rambo III this time around, and I can't wait to see IV for the first time.

If you haven't already, go and find the book. God knows where mine are, will be checking ebay tonight though 22

Will

Will wrote:

Board footer