You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Re: Yahoo Music News of the Week

A few GNR mentions--nothing new, but the saturation of news, stories, and what not has increased significantly during the past month and one-half.  Axl, while not delivering an album in 15 years, has not lost his ability, albeit sometimes indirectly, to get GN'R in the news/conversation.  I am quite certain, during 1985 to 1987 the band had to learn how to market themselves and gain attention--Axl excelled at this (for example the Glam Sucks picture/story 1987, multiple quotable interviews ca. 87/88, original Appetite cover).  Anyhow, the buzz continues to grow.  Funny, we all thought 2000, 2002, and 2006 were perfect times to release this, and I agree that the 2000 argument carries much credence, but Fall 2008 is lining up perfectly (some may argue that this is because: a-- it really is coming out and b--management and activities are driving the increased chatter).

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/thatsr … -confusion

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I do know this Wal-Mart or Best Buy deal is going to piss ALOT of fans off, as a total sell out. Especially for a band that was originally successful for it's "from the streets/underground" appeal.

But they truely "sold out" when they became MTV's little darlings, and started churning out videos like Rain, Cry & Estranged.

Just because you are successful & commercial doesn't mean you aren't good & quality. This applies to GN'R... Metallica another. But when the core fans that got you out of the mud, and off the ground are the ones you walk away from for bigger success, some follow (like myself, and others here) and other ones cry in their beer and talk about how everything sucks. It's just about the music folks, the only people who rag on image are 13 year old boys who just want something to complain about.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

Yah...because those three videos have nothing to do with Del James and his stories. please. give me a break. Just because they made some good videos doesn't mean shit.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Axl, while not delivering an album in 15 years, has not lost his ability, albeit sometimes indirectly, to get GN'R in the news/conversation.

No one doubts that. No matter what the size is of his fanbase, he will ALWAYS be able to make headlines. He is an enigma. Recognizable in any region of the world. Even people who aren't Guns fans know him.

He is in the small group of people that include Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, ex presidents,etc.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Those videos were the artistic aspirations of Axl Rose. A retailer exclusive deal is the commercial aspirations of GN'R's label. I fail to see how these go hand in hand or how Guns ability to make captivating videos was them selling out.

Board footer