You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Will you still buy CD?

gnfnraxl wrote:

Wow I'm surprised!  Seeing as how much of a backlash Metallica got for the Napster fiasco.  They are only starting to recover from that.  Maybe Axl can get away with anything and treat fans like dirt and not suffer from it.  Can't remember who wrote this but someone on this thread said that Skwerl could be exaggerating the story namely being arrested at gunpoint.  Could be and while I won't blame Axl for the FBI trying to impress people I still say he was behind the arrest.  But I agree we only know one side of the story.  One other thing that surprised me is how much everybody wanted to hear new material and now those same people seem to be turning on the one that made it possible to hear new material.  I can't say for sure if I'll buy it or not.  If it came out tomorrow I wouldn't.  Maybe I'll change my mind.  But this thread sure is a good read.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Will I buy CD? No.  My mind was made up ages ago regarding this but if Gn'R had anything to do with this arrest than that makes my decision even easier.  Will I listen to CD? yes. For free.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

Will I buy CD? No.  My mind was made up ages ago regarding this but if Gn'R had anything to do with this arrest than that makes my decision even easier.  Will I listen to CD? yes. For free.

Blasphemous.  I'll chip in and by a copy to cover your thievery.  Just kidding of course, but I may offer to buy it for any friends interested.  10 bucks a pop, they can buy me a beer sometime and get me back.  If its more than that, they're on their own.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I've been through many a girlfriend on the long road to Chinese Democracy. Each one promised to buy me a copy of the album when it came out. Looks like I'd still be getting a shitload of copies one way or another. I will show up to collect. They can count on it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

Wow I'm surprised!  Seeing as how much of a backlash Metallica got for the Napster fiasco.  They are only starting to recover from that.  Maybe Axl can get away with anything and treat fans like dirt and not suffer from it.  Can't remember who wrote this but someone on this thread said that Skwerl could be exaggerating the story namely being arrested at gunpoint.  Could be and while I won't blame Axl for the FBI trying to impress people I still say he was behind the arrest.  But I agree we only know one side of the story.  One other thing that surprised me is how much everybody wanted to hear new material and now those same people seem to be turning on the one that made it possible to hear new material.  I can't say for sure if I'll buy it or not.  If it came out tomorrow I wouldn't.  Maybe I'll change my mind.  But this thread sure is a good read.

No one is "turning" against him. People do have issues with how he handled it though. Too many attention whore aspects to his story. I know someone will say, "MSL did the same thing". No he didn't.

MSL is looked at as a "common man". Everyone can relate to him. He's a normal, every day run of the mill GNR fan who loves GNR with a passion. He finally got fed up with the hoarder aspect and decided to stand up and do something about it. It wasn't a crusade against GNR or some mission to rip the band off. This is what the GNR camp doesn't comprehend. He went on a journey to bring the music to the fans that he knew was out there being listened to by an "elite" few. He used a few unconventional tactics, gave them the middle finger, and brought music to the fans that should have been heard years ago.

That's why a large portion of the fans will always support MSL in what he does, and if the GNR camp ever goes after him, there will be a huge backlash among the online base. MSL represents a fraction of what the original GNR was all about: fuck authority and put us on a level playing field.

This skwerl incident is different. Regardless of how,when, or why he got the songs, a big part of his game was the gloating. The "I have GNR songs and I want to prove it to everybody so I'll stream the songs on my site" is a far cry from what MSL and even darknemus are about.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I will buy the album.

It's different from Metallica.  GNR didn't submit a list with all our names on it for downloading their leaks.  They pretty much could find each and every one of us though, we haven't exactly kept it a secret.  But they didn't. 

GNR deserves my support.  They have made increadible music.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Yeah. I am a fan of the band and I will support them.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

death magnetic is bad

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

No one is "turning" against him. People do have issues with how he handled it though. Too many attention whore aspects to his story. I know someone will say, "MSL did the same thing". No he didn't.

MSL is looked at as a "common man". Everyone can relate to him. He's a normal, every day run of the mill GNR fan who loves GNR with a passion. He finally got fed up with the hoarder aspect and decided to stand up and do something about it. It wasn't a crusade against GNR or some mission to rip the band off. This is what the GNR camp doesn't comprehend. He went on a journey to bring the music to the fans that he knew was out there being listened to by an "elite" few. He used a few unconventional tactics, gave them the middle finger, and brought music to the fans that should have been heard years ago.

That's why a large portion of the fans will always support MSL in what he does, and if the GNR camp ever goes after him, there will be a huge backlash among the online base. MSL represents a fraction of what the original GNR was all about: fuck authority and put us on a level playing field.

This skwerl incident is different. Regardless of how,when, or why he got the songs, a big part of his game was the gloating. The "I have GNR songs and I want to prove it to everybody so I'll stream the songs on my site" is a far cry from what MSL and even darknemus are about.

JUst to make sure we're on the same page James.   I want to start by saying that I wasn't attacking anyone in particular.  Remember one thing.  I'M still here so I'm in the same boat as everyone else here.  And I do agree that Skwerl did a lot of mistakes including gloating to everyone and anyone who wanted to listen.  But what irks me is when some say that well he shouldn't have leaked in the first place and he wouldn't be in trouble or that it was wrong to leak those songs and yet those same people were more than happy to hear those songs.  But I agree that he made some huge mistakes.

Edit: And just to clarify I know MSL went at it differently and wasn't an attention whore like others and I do respect that.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer