You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: Number of tracks etc...

jimmythegent wrote:

Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread, but has there been any speculatation as to how many tracks CD will include? Did I read somewhere that it is likely to be 15 or do we still go on what Axl said in early 2006 as to there being 13?

For obvious reasons, I really hope 15.  We've likely heard at least 10 that will be included, so I could be pretty excited by 5 brand spanking new ones. Hopefully "big guns" at that. But only 3, well I'll still be beside myself (proper mastered/mixed and completed), but a little less so.

But in saying that, I'm looking forward to several aspects:

- the cover art and sleeve
- liner notes
- credits
- being able to listen to the album in sequence as was intended or as a whole. This is a biggie - as I guess you'd say this falls into the category of 'concept' album, it's quite possible that listening to individual tracks in isolation detract from the potency of the whole.
- post- release interviews with Axl (if they occur)
- reviews and general reception by the public
- sharing views with the community

It's going to be a momentus occasion for sure and I'm finally allowing myself to get excited again!

For the hell of it, i'll rate the 10 tracks likely to be on CD from best to worst (IMO) that we've heard.

1. Song #2, Prostitute - this song is epic and a completed version has me salivating in anticipation. This is the only song so far, that comes close to the dizzying epics of the UYI era.
2. Better - quite simply the best rocker we've heard from this new band/project. Strip away a little of the dated sounding techno flourishes and you have an assured hit - my wife even likes this one.
3. The Blues - Still holding out hope that this will emerge fully realised and as huge and grand as it ought to be. Bring back the original intro please.
4. Chinese Democracy - Good solid opener, and those newer rhythym tracks do the trick nicely
5. There was a time - A good song- potentially great, but not the soaring brilliance some GN'R fans are proposing it is. The solo is very good indeed, but it doesn't resonate as emotionally as Slash's playing for me. Sorry to compare, but I can't help but think what he could have done with a track like this (and others)
6. Rhiad and the bedouins - was afraid it was 'filler-ish', but it's grown on me and a  beefier mix (the rhythym section and guitars could be grunted up I reckon) should do the trick.
7. Shacklers revenge - not a bad song, but overall, pretty forgettable. I'm happy with it - I think it's one of those songs that out of context in terms of the rest of the album, seems a bit confused. BBF plays great here.
8. If the world - thought it was a turd at first, but it's ok now. A bit unfocused sounding to me. Certainly offers (further) diversity.
9. IRS - A weak rocker I feel - I'd be happy if it were left off. Reeks of B-side material.
10.  Madagascar - anyone that i've chatted with/debated over the years knows my thoughts on this one. I still feel it's a turkey. Plodding, dated, over-earnest sub-UYI pap.

Anyway, Novemeber 25th can't come quick enough for me I can tell you. 5

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Apparently Gould told the crowd at the Best Buy event that Chinese Democracy will have 15 tracks. Unfortunately this was not recorded, although I believe it. No sense in lying when everything else said by those that were there was true.

I hope we get more than five songs we haven't heard. Sure, I would love to hear final versions of all these tracks, but time hasn't been too kind on them. Beggars cant be choosers I guess so if all these songs make the final cut we just have to grin and bare it.

If I had any say in the creation of the tracklist, I would get on my knees and beg for IRS, Prostitute, and possibly Madagascar to be left in the vault.

I'd do anything for Catcher in the Rye recorded by the 2001 lineup to be on the album.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Remember in 2002 when Axl said CD was going to have 18 tracks plus 10 bonus tracks? Man, that would be killer. But I'll surely take 15 over 13.

Axelle01
 Rep: 3 

Axelle01 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Remember in 2002 when Axl said CD was going to ...

Remember when Axl said CD was gonna come out SOON ? I admire you guys as i see you really believe he's gonna release it anytime soon now... 'Cause I have lost my faith awhile ago hmm

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

I'd settle for a single on itunes right now.  Baby steps people, baby steps.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'd almost hope half of what we've heard.... was staved off for a EP release of cut songs.

I want the album to be as much brand new material, non-leaked as possible.

My guess though is everything that was leaked in June, despite being older versions, will be on the album. That's 9 right there, plus Shackler at 10. Only leaving room for 5 more. I don't think Catcher will be on there.

I'll still buy it.

Now if it's a double disc, or possibly even a multi-album or fast track album release... then the possibilities are endless.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Apparently Gould told the crowd at the Best Buy event that Chinese Democracy will have 15 tracks. Unfortunately this was not recorded, although I believe it. No sense in lying when everything else said by those that were there was true.

I hope we get more than five songs we haven't heard. Sure, I would love to hear final versions of all these tracks, but time hasn't been too kind on them. Beggars cant be choosers I guess so if all these songs make the final cut we just have to grin and bare it.

If I had any say in the creation of the tracklist, I would get on my knees and beg for IRS, Prostitute, and possibly Madagascar to be left in the vault.

I'd do anything for Catcher in the Rye recorded by the 2001 lineup to be on the album.

Madagascar???Prostitute? Ok i might would agree on Prostitute(not likely tho) But Madagascar??? That song is epic!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Excluding Song #2... the other two are dated at this point. I'd go so far to say the same thing for Riyadh and The Blues.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

Rock stations would have Better and Riyadh in constant rotation IMO

Board footer